Just bought a Blackberry Pearl 8100. I fitted a 4GB media card but it does not show up. When I check the phone it states, 'A media card is not presently inserted in the device'. I know the card is working as I tried it in my Nikon D80.

From reading some FAQ's it would seem that I may need to upgrade my OS. The one on the phone at the moment is v4.2.0.51. I read in the FAQ's that I should first of all download the latest desktop software v4.3, but when I try to do this after filling in all the relevant information and ticking all the right boxes, I click on 'Download Software' and I get an error page telling me basically 'Access denied'.

I had read about formating the card but there is a problem. Whenever I click on Options, Advanced, Media Card and then click the menu button all I get is a small window in the bottom left hand corner of the screen which says 'Close'. I've checked the card and it's seated properly.

Can anyone help here as this is driving me nuts. Never had these problems with Nokia! Is it possible that the Blackberry download site is at fault and if so can the software be downloaded from anywhere else? Do I really need this desktop software update or can I update the phone software on it's own?
    04-03-08 02:12 PM
    My guess is that the OS you have on your Pearl doesn't support cards larger than 2gb. Either that or you need to format it from the BB.

BlackBerry devices that have media card capabilities are: 8100, 8300 and 8800.

They all use a MicroSD card and have the following maximum card GB capacities:

* BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 Up to 2GB
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 Up to 4GB
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 Up to 4GB
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 Up to 8GB
    04-03-08 02:17 PM
    Yeah but as I said above whenever I try to format the card all I get is the box saying 'close'. I assume this is because of the software not being able to read the 4GB card which is why I have been trying to upgrade the software, but every time I try that all I get is 'access denied'. As for Blackberry you might as well talk to a brick as ask them for help as they just don't answer e-mails. I guess they haven't did the course on customer service yet!
    04-04-08 02:30 AM
    Call your carrier. They might be able to help you out. If they can't, then they'll forward you to RIM if they find out that its the phone's problem and not the memory card. Or they just send you a replacement if you're still under warranty. .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-08 02:45 AM
    You should be able to format the card via windows in the my computer screen. That's how I did it for both mine.

04-04-08 05:25 AM
    You should be able to format the card via windows in the my computer screen. That's how I did it for both mine. If you still can't get it to work, then call your provider. If you do, immediately ask for the BB dept. Those ******* in customer service aren't worth anything.

04-04-08 05:28 AM
    Yeah but as I said above whenever I try to format the card all I get is the box saying 'close'. I assume this is because of the software not being able to read the 4GB card which is why I have been trying to upgrade the software, but every time I try that all I get is 'access denied'. As for Blackberry you might as well talk to a brick as ask them for help as they just don't answer e-mails. I guess they haven't did the course on customer service yet!
    Have you checked which version of the OS you have on your phone against the info I posted? You can find out by going to Options > About. The third line should give the version.
    04-04-08 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD