Hi all! I need some help coming to a decision about whether to keep my pearl flip or return it to tmobile for a different phone.

Let me start off by saying that I think the phone is great. I love the way it looks(which is why I bought it in the first place), and the performance is great(compared to the 8700 with os 4.5 I had before this).

However, I have two concerns. Firstly, is the now legendary "play on the hinge." Although that slight side to side hinge is no issue for me as of right now, I'm worried about it getting much worse. I plan to keep this phone for the full two years I'm going to be with tmobile, so I don't want my hinge getting loose and sloppy within the first 6 months I own this. I've read many posts here saying play in the hinge is good... and I've also read some people saying the hinge feels more loose after some months(although it could just be in their heads).
    What does everyone think of this issue? Is it even possible to get worse? If it will get worse, that is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Secondly, is the construction of the phone. The half of the phone that is the screen is built well in my opinion. Feels almost like one solid piece. The bottom half however feels pretty cheap. This is because the battery door is so thin and frail, it makes me worry that the rest of the set is built like this.

So honest opinion, should I send this phone back? I really like it, but I can't stand the idea of a short performance life. I want this to be a long lasting, durable phone, and I want to know if it's just that.
    01-17-09 08:47 PM
    I've owned flip phones for years. Never has the hinge been a problem. Plunged into water, run through washing machine and dryer, dropped into snow bank, ran over with truck; only the truck trashed a flip phone in my household.

If you want to ditch the flip, go ahead. But I don't think you will find any durability issues. Certainly not in a few days or weeks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 11:49 PM
    Hey thanks for the reply.

Actually, I've been trying to convince myself to get rid of it, but just can't. I love blackberries(even if they're not full qwerty like this one), and this is probably the best I can get without stepping into the $500+ range with the bold and 8900.

However, this thin, frail battery door really bothers me. That's one thing I'd pay to change... such as a possible third party metal door
    01-20-09 07:19 AM
    the door is thin but the phone is actually a tough little bugger. I have a bse on the back of mine and dropped it on a concrete sidewalk the other night...not a scratch, the door didn't pop off and it didn't come off the hinges. it doesn't even seem to have loosened. I hope you keep it, this is a great phone and it's less than $100. can't beat that.
    01-20-09 08:57 AM
    I don't have a hinge issue- never had. The BB Flip is too new to know about how long it's going to last. U could always put a hard cover on it like I did with mine, so u won't be bothered with the thin battery door.Attachment 10493
    01-20-09 08:14 PM
    If the phone is not working out for you, please send it back. There is no reason to keep a device that does not work properly or appears to be flimsy.
    01-20-09 08:17 PM
    I've had my flip since october... not too long, but for a good 4 months. I noticed a little bit of play in the hinge area of the phone when I first got it as well, but it hasn't loosened at all and all in all it seems pretty well built.
    As far as the bottom half of the phone... I've never had the back cover pop off on it's own. I do understand what you mean by it being a flimsy back cover, but it does it's job and seems to do it very well. Also, this is THE most comfortable blackberry I've seen as far as typing goes. I work for a mobile provider and have definitely experienced typing on many blackberry devices...
    01-20-09 11:07 PM
    I don't have a hinge issue- never had. The BB Flip is too new to know about how long it's going to last. U could always put a hard cover on it like I did with mine, so u won't be bothered with the thin battery door.Attachment 10493
    ^^^That's hot. LOL
    01-20-09 11:11 PM
    I'm happy with mine.... If I were you I'd keep it. Or you can always "retire" it and get the Curve 8900 when it comes out, just like I'm doing lol.
    01-20-09 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD