So my wife upgraded herself to a BB Pearl.

When we got home and had a chance to finally check out the phone, it said the SIM was not activated (or something along those lines...) so she just used the SIM from her old phone, and it worked fine.

Until ...

We wanted to use BB Messenger, to talk for free, and her phone won't get or send requests.. After digging around, I found out her "edge" icon is in lowercase letters, meaning she doesn't have a BB data plan active (I think...)

My question is: Is this because of the SIM situation, and will a trip to the AT&T store fix this?
    04-05-09 11:50 AM
    you should be able to call and set it up.
    04-05-09 12:28 PM
    Ahh, thank you.

I appreciate the response.
    04-05-09 12:32 PM
    did she buy a new phone or did she buy it from someone?
    04-05-09 04:24 PM
    Sorry for the long wait in replying...

She bought the phone brand new. Here's what happened:

She had an old RAZR, and was due for an upgrade. She chose the Pearl, and went through the upgrade process at the store....

We get home, and we look at her phone. The phone starts like normal, (good long Blackberry boot up...) and when it comes on, it says the SIM isn't registered (or something similar).

She takes the SIM out of her old phone, and it works fine for calls.

I read that you can tell that your phone isn;t using it's BB data plan if the word "edge" is in lowercase. That coupled with the fact that I can't get BB Messenger to work on her phone made me figure it had to be the SIM card.

Hopefully a call or visit to AT&T will take care of the problem.
    04-05-09 10:59 PM
    Just an update:

I called AT&T for my wife and got everything squared away. The place we bought the phone from (Walmart.) screwed everything up. They didn't even put her on a data plan, didn't activate her sim card, and instead of giving her the 200 texts a month, they had her under the 1500 a month.

Ah well. Thanks for everyone's help!
    04-06-09 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD