So I got my very first BBP almost a week ago. Very exciting!

Primarily, I use my phone for calls (duh!), Yahoo I-m, snapshots and light web browsing.

Since then, I've gotten the basics down, ie. navigation, Suretype, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that perhaps my expectations were higher. When I made the decision to get my BB, I posted questions on other (non BB) sites, asking my online friends for their first hand opionions. I got great feedback. (I didn't know about this site ).

I asked some of my IT friends at work and they all recommended the IPhone or the Tmobile Wing. ....which I wasn't into for various reasons...mainly the initial cost plus a few other quirks that I've read about.

Things I love about my phone:

I love my BBP for chatting online with my friends using the Yahoo messenger. It's so neat to be sitting at my desk at work taking pics and instantly sending them to them. It's great knowing that I-M'ing doesn't cost me any text fees. (I still have 300 text msgs added to my plan just in case)

I love my BBP for being able to go straight to news sites and read the headlines from ANYWHERE. Comes in handy on lunch breaks or waiting areas, road trips, etc.

I love being able to surf the forums here on Crackberry and other sites that I like.

I love how the applications of my phone work in such harmony with each other. I never miss a beat with it. I-M'ing....incoming call? no prob....just answer the phone. After the call, it goes right back to my dialog.

The PIN feature is cool too. (need more friends though, hint hint)

I love feeling 'connected'.

------------------------------------------

Things I don't like or are just getting used to / accepting:
    I'm coming to grips with the fact that I can't watch Youtube clips from my phone. This may take more practice or another download.

I'm just realizing that on Myspace Mobile, I can't see what a picture comment looks like from my phone. I can see who sent it, but unless it's text, I won't be able to see the pic.

conclusion: I know that the BBP (or any smartphone for that matter) wasn't designed to take the place of your laptop / comp. It's a phone! lol. .....

Perhaps after my one year contract (200 bux to terminate) is up, new technology will be in place that will surpass my dreams. Who knows!

In the meantime, I'll just accept it for what it is and know that I've actually made a step forward

Thanks for reading,
    Anj.
    05-06-08 02:58 AM
    Nice. I just got mine yesterday and i cant be more happy. I knew about streaming videos so it wasnt a deception. Im a social user like you and i cant believe my ears when i someone says they dont want it cause its only for business. Shame on them . Add me if you want and have a great time with your new best friend

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-08 07:54 AM
    try this for video blueapple.mobi web video search and try this for myspace you will be able to view everything www.operamini.com
    05-06-08 08:04 AM
    I love mine also.I've been having a great time with it, the typing is getting much better.I wish I could understand the whole Operamini,but a side from that I love it!

05-06-08 08:11 AM
    what questions do you have about opera mini ?
    05-06-08 08:13 AM
    Interesting about the no youtube thing. I've had mine for a week now and just last night decided to try looking on youtube. It told me that it was not compatible, but I went on and searched anyway. The videos played just fine. Much faster loading than my old PPC6700 using windows mobile.
    05-06-08 08:37 AM
    hmm, I really have to try that Youtube thing again.

Blueberry: I'd started another thread in this forum about the Opera Mini issue I'm having. From what I gather, It must have something to do with the permissions or something. I'm using EDGE. I don't use WiFi

I'm doing these steps and typing what I see.....

What's happening is that I go to the (version 4, I believe) www.Operamini.com....right from the gate, it tells me that 'your phone could not be detected'. ....I scroll down...

...and click the link to download the 'high memory' version....

....on the next page, I choose 'download'....(there's a check box next to it asking me to check it if I want to 'set application permissions'....I ignore it and proceed to download.

....downloading begins.....

....yes/no to 'this application does not contain a signature and might not be from a trusted source. Proceed?......I choose YES......and downloading resumes.....

....'The application was successfully installed'......'OK' or 'RUN'...I choose 'RUN'

....then the Opera Mini red status bar appears but after a few seconds, a prompt tells me that 'the application o/m has attempted to access a low-level network connection. Allow? Yes/No....I chose YES......

.......another prompt pops up with 'the application o/m has attempted to access server4.operamini.com. Would you like to allow this? yes/no...I chose YES......

.......instalation resumes......

......and Error, Failed to Connect to the internet.'.....

Last edited by Aquamarine73; 05-06-08 at 09:15 AM.
    05-06-08 09:10 AM
    that's what happens to me and my patience isn't the best right now. So I uninstalled it and kept my merry way
    05-06-08 10:10 AM
    ok go to options/advanced options/tcp settings/ go to the apn then type in wap.voicestream.com and leave the username and password blank this will allow opera to work for you
    05-06-08 11:05 AM
    WOW indeed the youtube videos works great.... the BB rep told us that only the Curve has the possibilty to play streaming videos it even starts the bb's video player... i am jumping everywhere of joy now!!!!
    05-06-08 11:18 AM
    WOW indeed the youtube videos works great.... the BB rep told us that only the Curve has the possibilty to play streaming videos it even starts the bb's video player... i am jumping everywhere of joy now!!!!

and all you're doing is going to Youtube.com just like on a regular laptop /desktop and it's letting you view things normally? When I go there, I just get an error stating '" Th protocol specified is not supported by the handheld. Please try a different URL'
    05-06-08 12:26 PM
    ok go to options/advanced options/tcp settings/ go to the apn then type in wap.voicestream.com and leave the username and password blank this will allow opera to work for you
    You're a genius! I never would have figured that out had it not been for you It made all the difference in viewing my Myspace page. I'm now on my lunch break learning how to navigate the Opera Mini.

Still gonna work with (or around, for that matter) the Youtube pages tonight when I get home.

Thanx again!
    05-06-08 01:55 PM

I did that but it still gives me the same error. I even pull the battery. So I have given up on opera mini on my phone.
    05-06-08 02:00 PM
    Cool, Youtube plays wonderfully on my 8130 BB. You learn something everyday.
    05-06-08 06:43 PM
    And Opera is safe and everything? I assume no one would be using it were it unsafe, but I just got my Pearl and am a bit overprotective.
    05-06-08 08:19 PM
    And Opera is safe and everything? I assume no one would be using it were it unsafe, but I just got my Pearl and am a bit overprotective.
    Yes 100% safe there are no viruses for bb
    05-06-08 08:25 PM
    Seems that the Tinytube site is working I called T-mobile and they walked me through changing my browser to IE and also enabling (checking the box) Java script.

I search for what I want, then I choose 'save' lo/hi. I chose lo. Don't know why though. Then it tells me that it's in 'que' and to 'refresh'. I did....then I click on my selection again and it starts to play in the bb media player. cool!

Right now I'm just finding stuff and bookmarking it so that I can go back to them and watch.

Thanx again!
    05-06-08 09:58 PM
    Does the wap.voicestream.com thing work for sprint users?

Dm

05-07-08 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD