I have the same problem, but figured out fairly quickly how to charge the phone. The problem is I can't get the desktop manager to recognize the phone. This is just a backup now that I have the 8900, but I was wondering if anyone fixes this. The cheaper the better.
    Last edited by puds38; 04-04-09 at 12:07 PM.
    04-04-09 11:58 AM
    ive got a blackbetty curve and i just fixed my charging problem.

make sure all of the gold pins are pushed down in the usb port. one of mine was sticking up a bit.
    i took a sewing needle and pushed all of them down and the port strated working again. it also tightened the connection. this would seem to be a common fix.

good ruck
    05-15-09 01:51 PM
    I just ordered my third Blackberry C-X2 Battery for my Blackberry8830. After the Blackberry itself wouldn't charge because one of those little metal things in the side literally came off (after only two weeks of having the phone), I couldn't charge the phone the normal way. I had to purchase an 'external battery charger' and an additional battery OR replace the phone (which was out of the question). So...I would constantly have to swap batteries and I have the external battery charger plugged into my computer USB port.

This morning, for no reason in particular, BOTH batteries will not charge. The external charger indicator light - lights up yellow as if charging the battery, but less than one minute later, turns to red! The worst part is, it wont charge either battery! I'm wondering if it's the external charger?!? This is really a problem. I now have 40% power left on one battery. I am flying out for a trip next week and will be without a phone unless basically I buy another couple of replacement batteries and another external charger!!! But I don't know for sure if these batteries have just basically been maxed out, or the current problem lies with the external battery charger?!? I don't really have time to spare to wait and find out - as I don't want to be left without use of my 'crackberry'!

I'm so disappointed - and of course, don't they always get us with these damn contracts?!?

I'm so sick of it.
    06-20-09 07:52 AM
    You said the USB port on the device broke after 2 weeks. Is the phone still under warranty? If not, have a cellphone repair shop replace it. It will run about $40, but considering what your spending on batteries and chargers it will be a bargain. And you'll be able to connect to your PC again.
    06-20-09 09:30 AM
    This is a know problem with the pearl, most carriers will replace for free if their is no other damage. But in your case you have a unlocked pearl so it looks like its best to get a dock charger and just use bluetooth to sync...

I have the issue being discussed and i noticed you have tomobile too. Will tmobile replace it? This is my second blackberry, the first was in september. The second (my current device) was in February. I don't have insurance, my parents won't pay for it, but will they replace it for free since this is a craptastic issue?
    07-05-09 02:23 PM
    If it's less than a year old since purchase, then I believe they would.
    07-05-09 04:41 PM
    ive got a blackbetty curve and i just fixed my charging problem.

make sure all of the gold pins are pushed down in the usb port. one of mine was sticking up a bit.
    i took a sewing needle and pushed all of them down and the port strated working again. it also tightened the connection. this would seem to be a common fix.

good ruck
    This worked for me!! Thanks!!
    07-23-09 12:42 PM
    Dudes - I have the same problem - my Blackberry Pearl 8100's charging port broke (what a difference one little gold pin makes!), so the battery couldn't charge. I found on eforcity.com an external charger for my battery, and wouldn't you know it - it works! And T-Mobile's mantra was buy a new phone buy a new phone buy a new phone. At $11.99 it's way cheaper than a new phone.
    09-09-09 08:50 PM
    I'm also having this problem with my curve, the red light will stay on, and sometime turn off, but the phone wont actually charge or turn on. this happened to me the other day but i eventually got it to charge, and it seems that it only acts up if i actually let my phone completely die. Anyways, i've been trying for 2 days now and it still wont work. The ****ty part is I have a cracked screen from dropping it, but it still works and everything, but now this usb thing isn't working. I have warranty, but i was wondering if anyone knows if I should still be entitled to get my phone replaced, even though the screen is cracked. because if not it reaaaally sucks, because the actual phone wasnt even wrecked from the cracked screen.
    09-18-09 12:31 PM
    Lol,even though I think it's a bit too late to post a reply now seeing it's almost been a year since this was posted up,I figured some things out.

Your computer could be the problem,not the usb port or anything.I just recently received my Blackberry and the cord is new and everything.I used it one night,then the next day the same problem happened to me.The light charger only lit up for a few seconds and turned off,thus not charging my phone.

So,it's more likely to be the computer.

Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. On the next window
    click on the Hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button.
    From the Device Manager scroll to the bottom to Universal Serial Bus
    Controllers and expand the group.
    If you see a USB root hub that has something to do with "PCI" or something with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark,double click it.
    Click Uninstall.
    Click OK to confirm the removal.
    On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.
    Windows detects your USB host controller or root hub and reinstalls the driver for the device.
    Reconnect your USB device directly to the USB port on your computer.

Hope this helped! (:
    12-25-09 05:41 PM
    Lol,even though I think it's a bit too late to post a reply now seeing it's almost been a year since this was posted up,I figured some things out.

Your computer could be the problem,not the usb port or anything.I just recently received my Blackberry and the cord is new and everything.I used it one night,then the next day the same problem happened to me.The light charger only lit up for a few seconds and turned off,thus not charging my phone.

So,it's more likely to be the computer.

Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. On the next window
    click on the Hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button.
    From the Device Manager scroll to the bottom to Universal Serial Bus
    Controllers and expand the group.
    If you see a USB root hub that has something to do with "PCI" or something with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark,double click it.
    Click Uninstall.
    Click OK to confirm the removal.
    On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.
    Windows detects your USB host controller or root hub and reinstalls the driver for the device.
    Reconnect your USB device directly to the USB port on your computer.

Hope this helped! (:
    Most likely the problem you described could have been fixed without deleting the ports. If it happens again, go where you did, and check to see if power saving is on. That's a problem that occurs sometimes with people trying a device upgrade.

From all the TBLers, to our CrackBerrian brethren.
    May God bless you and yours during this holiday season.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-09 06:14 PM
    pardon for my bad english
    but i also had the same problem with my pearl couple of weeks ago, the battery went flat out and can't charge at all
    then i met with a technician at a local shop, he told me that my battery is already "old" and shouldn't be left totally flat, the problem is that everytime u put the battery in the handset, it will automatically boot to OS, old battery has problem on booting with minimum power stored, just like an car battery that went flat and cannot start the engine...
    so to fix it, he told me to jumpstart the battery, using a convenience desktop charger if u have one, or simply use an universal charger or adapter, set it at the correct voltage and mA and push it down the + and - connector on the battery
    after 5 mnts or so, i put it back in the handset and viola it boots normally and i immediately charge it
    hope this helps
    12-28-09 06:39 AM
    Wow..As dumb as it sounds, I too have found a little homemade way to may your phone charge. I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 and I have read through this thread, and tried everything, but nothing worked. Ok heres a tip works for me. Take a small piece of paper, like printer paper. Then fold it like 4 times. Stick it under your battery when you put it in the phone. The battery should be raised up a little bit and it should be kind of hard to put the back cover on. Now try charging it! In my case, the usb port was higher than the battery, or something like that. But I fixed it. I don't have the luxury of sending it off and getting a new one for free because you have to have a year warranty on it when you get it, and my contract ends in 9 months, and my dad will not renew with alltel because me and him are getting iPhones after our contracts up..Thanks alltel for screwing me over, but I came out on top...Never buy this phone if your planning on it.. EVER!!!
    01-11-10 08:24 PM
    You really want to bash the Pearl that bad, over a minor battery issue? It's one of the most popular BlackBerries ever, and it's users are very devoted to them. I absolutely loved mine, and used the heck out of it.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 08:35 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD