I got a BB pearl and now my wife wants one. The only problem is that she has 249 contacts in her 6 year old Nokia phone. This phone does not support bluetooth.

The Nokia phone is with Verizon Wireless and she uses their backup assistant so I have gone to our account and extracted an ascii file of her contacts using cut-n-paste. Verizon, for obvious reasons, doesn't support any official way to export this info. I can probably massage the format of this file if it would help, but this is the current format (names and numbers obscured for obvious reasons):

Alan blahi
    Mobile
    919xxxxxxxx

Alan blech
    Mobile
    919zzzzzzz

tweedledum & tweedledee
    Home
    919yyyyyyy

Personnamed Hill
    Mobile
    919aaaaaaa

Work
    919bbbbbbb

(note the last one has mobile and work)

If she gets a BB it won't be on Verizon (because of the crippled GPS), so using their backup assistant or their store to do it is a nonstarter.

Is there a good way to import an ascii file of contacts into a blackberry? Email it to her? Put it on the media card? Use blackberry desktop?

Any suggestions to help me bring my wife up to modern times would be appreciated!
    09-12-08 11:25 AM
    I found this post online. I am not sure if this will help or not, but it discussed how to go about transporting a CSV file into a blackberry.
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
    2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and double-click Intellisync.
    3. In the Intellisync� window, click Configure PIM.
    4. Select the Address Book check box, and then click Choose.
    5. Select ASCII Import/Export and click Export.
    6. Click Browse and type BlackBerry.csv for the file name. This will create the file BlackBerry.csv.
    7. Click Open. When prompted with the message This File does not exist, click Yes.
    8. In the Choose Application section, click OK, and then click OK on Configuration.
    9. Click Synchronize Now. This will create the CSV file with the field mapping required to add contacts.
    10. Add the contact to the CSV file, and then repeat step 4.
    11. Select ASCII Import/Export and click Import.
    12. Click Synchronize Now. This imports the contact from the CSV file to the Blackberry device.
    Here is a link to the original article:

How to import contacts from an CSV file to the BlackBerry device - BlackBerry Forums

I hope this helps!
    09-12-08 11:43 AM
    Thanx alot... your great instructions saved me from throwing my new phone out the window...lol
    09-30-08 02:14 AM
    I am glad to help. Enjoy your new phone.
    09-30-08 04:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD