Ok, so...I've had my Blackberry Pearl for about 8 months.
    I love it.
    Not only did I get it free through AT&T for being a good customer for 2 years, it is certainly the best phone I've ever owned.
    I know all you Curve and fancy-schmancy fullsize Blackberry users are probably laughing, because the Pearl is about as basic as a Blackberry can be...but I enjoy it immensely.
    Now some questions and observations...
    I figured Id just lump this all together instead of posting a bunch of seperate threads.

1.-Ive noticed that my 3 center keys, the 4/D/F, the 5/G/H and the 6/J/K keys, are starting to lose their oomph. A lot of times, I have to hit them 2-3 times before the character registers on screen. I dont know if this is because I text like a madman, or if this is something that a lot of Pearl users have found to be common. I'd like to hear from anyone experiencing the same issue.

2.-The ColorPearl Program is pretty much the coolest thing ever, especially after my inevitably dirty hands clouded the trackballs original ghostly white luminesence. If you dont have it, get it.

3.-A lot of times when Im using the internet browser, it decides to go all wonky and never load a page. Once it's done this, I have to reset the phone in order for it to be able to connect to the Net again. Now that I've DLed the SoftReset Program, this is a tad easier, but I'm wondering if this is an issue that's pretty normal or if maybe I should get it checked out. The wait time on a full reset is kind of long....

4.-I have the standard, black, silicone skin for my Pearl. It doesnt do a whole lot for protecting the phone from weather or drops, and I'm wondering if anyone reading has tried these OtterSkin AllTerrain cases I keep hearing about. They look cool, but is the protection enough of an upgrade to warrant the $45 price tag? I spent all of $7 on my current skin, and can't imagine paying so much for another, but I will if it comes highly recommended.

Finally...I'd just like to point out my ONE major disappointment about the Pearl...NO VIDEO?!?!?!?! I could understand if the technology wasnt there yet, but I KNOW for a fact that it was when these were first introduced. My last phone was the Motorola ROKR and even THAT horrid thing had full video taking and watching capabilities. I think it's silly for the Pearl to be such an awesome overall phone, but not be able to take video when I want to.
    From my soul...RIM...or Blackberry...whoever...FIX THIS!!!! Ill do whatever I have to do...

Anyway, thanks for reading this if you did...I am enjoying tooling around on CrackBerry and Im sure Ill be here awhile...unless my Pearl goes belly-up from all this abuse...heh heh.
    04-21-08 07:18 PM
    Do you have a memory card? On the 8130 Pear you can record video but you need a memory card.
    04-21-08 07:21 PM
    Did you spill something on the key pad ?
    04-21-08 07:22 PM
    Do you have a memory card? On the 8130 Pear you can record video but you need a memory card.
    They have the 8100 so no they cant
    04-21-08 07:27 PM
    Yep...I bought a 1G miniSD memory card the first day I got it...but yeah, the 8100 just flat out doesnt do video...I wasnt aware that the newer versions did...grrrr

As for my keypad...DEFINITELY NOT!! I have been ULTRA careful, (to the point of obsession), about not spilling nyhting or in any way hurting my lovely little Pearl...
    04-21-08 07:42 PM
    it just might be getting worn out are you under a year from date of purchase ? if so it's still covered under the blackberry warranty
    04-21-08 07:44 PM
    hrmmm...i imagine it IS indeed covered under warranty, so I guess the question is, do I want to be without my phone for however long it taskes them to fix it or send a replacement?
    I wonder if the buttons will get worse...
    04-21-08 09:30 PM
    Try spraying some can air under the keypad
    04-21-08 09:43 PM
    hrmmm...i imagine it IS indeed covered under warranty, so I guess the question is, do I want to be without my phone for however long it taskes them to fix it or send a replacement?
    I wonder if the buttons will get worse...

Do as I did, take it to your local shop to see if they can do anything. If not, ask them can they refer you to the local Tech support shop (If your city has one). They filled out a referral form for me and I went there.

You gotta have the form from your local shop to get your device looked at. They have a list of phones they can repair or replace on site. If yours is on the list, they will either fix it on the spot or replace it with a updated same product. It may be refurbished, but it will look new and operate perfectly. Just switch out my 8800. The wait was long in the store, but I was back up and running that same day.
    04-21-08 10:17 PM
    I just bought an otter box for 25 bucks new off craigslist, I couldn't pass it up. This thing could take a beating for sure. It has a complete keyboard/screen cover to protect from spills, the trackball being the only exposed area. The only thing I dont like is theres a protective mesh like material that covers both speakers outlets, thus causing the ringer volume to be way too low. I'm thinking on just cutting a hole out for the ringer/speaker phone port. And secondly I like the belt clip slider case that comes with it, it's the only one I've seen that feels secure enough to hold the phone in place.
    04-22-08 03:08 AM
    I might just have to try taking it to an AT&T store and seeing what they can do...thanks for the tip.

In reference to the Otterbox...good job on finding one for that price...Ill have to check Craigslist out soon. Sounds like it might even be worth the $45 bucks though...
    04-22-08 06:49 AM
    I was using the Black Silicone skin for a while too, I upgraded to a regular leather blackberry top side belt holster. It was like $20 and works great. As for video, I've heard there was supposed to be recording options with the Camera within a new OS update, but that could just be a rumor. I have seen people upload video files such a movies and video clips to their 8100 tho so it IS possible
    Last edited by H3C7IK; 04-23-08 at 09:19 PM.
    04-23-08 09:06 PM
    I flat out can't do the holster thing. One of the main reasons I decided on the Pearl in the first place was for its slim profile and light weight. I carry it in my pocket, which is why I like the idea of the otterbox, but I'm now being told to check out this invisible skin thing, which may turn out to be more what I'm looking for AND cheaper.

In reference to my key-functions, the canned air blowout seemed to do the trick. Makes me wonder if I should take my Pearl apart and give it a good cleaning. If anyone could post a link to a thread that gives details on doing that, I'd be grateful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 08:53 AM
    I love the Seido "skin". It gives grip and is fairly thin material. It also keeps me from accidentally hitting the voice dial and camera buttons by recessing about 1/32nd of an inch.

It will be cool for you when the update come through your carrier. I use the one on my 8130 all the time.

Love my pearl too!
    04-24-08 11:46 AM
    i LOVE my otterbox case formy pearl. i drop my phone like once or twice a week (i'm UBER clumsy) and the case is fine, the phone is great! this thing takes a beating and leaves the phone untouched. i took those mesh things off those as they annoyed the heck outta me!
    04-24-08 05:28 PM
    Ahhh, another vote for the otterbox...hrmmm

I checked out both Best Skins Ever and Invisible Shield today...and is it just me or are these pretty much the exact same product, except with BSE, you dont get the lifetime guarantee?
    I have to say, though they seem very good protection for scratches, they probably don't do much for drops, which is what Im most worried about.

I have the feeling the Otterbox is going to win out...sometimes, paying more is worth it, I guess.
    04-24-08 05:35 PM
    I'de vote for an Otterbox, but those skins are way to bulky for my liking. Im not into the pillow in my pocket and that also keeps it from fitting into a hip holster. I've dropped my phone maybe once for the 5 months ive owned it. I guess some people are just careless with their phones
    04-24-08 05:50 PM
    To be honest, Im actually OVERLY cautious about dropping my phone.
    BUT, Im a bouncer...and sometimes things happen.
    Ive had my Black Pearl just over 8 months and dropped it 3 times.
    I agree that bulkiness is a factor, because I am a pocket carrier...do NOT like belt holsters...though apparently the Otterbox package COMES with one made for it...
    Anyway...think that's the route Im gonna go...these forums have been a big help...thanks for all the replies.
    04-24-08 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD