Hello,

My pearl 8100 is a year and some change old. I can't download any applications or anything to it, because it keeps running out of memory and will then delete my SMS or BBM before I ever have a chance to read them.

I thought a proper solution would be to get a memory card... obviously more memory in the device would help, right? Wrong... put the memory card in. It lets me save pictures to it, but nothing else... I figured that if it ran out of storage on the phone's hard drive, it would just start dumping stuff to the memory card... is there a way I can get it to automatically "push" stuff there, or a way I can download applications to the actual memory card?
    10-28-08 08:27 AM
    What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory. And there is no way to automatically push stuff to the Media Card.
    10-28-08 08:31 AM
    Thanks so much for all the info... very much appreciated... hopefully I'll only have to deal with this for another week, then the BOLD comes out

About time... my battery door doesn't stay on anymore, and the pearl doesn't select things anymore so I have to keep pressing the enter key instead!!
    10-28-08 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD