Alrighty, here goes...

For the last week or so my Pearl has been acting up, randomly turning off antennae, droping calls, temporary freeze ups (for around 5 seconds or so at a time), etc. Well, instead of heading the warning signs I ignored it and then it started randomly rebooting. Again, I thought it was odd but just shrugged it off. Then the rebooting became more frequent and seemed to happen everytime any google app did anything, so I connected the pearl to my computer and removed the apps. This fixed the problem for about half a day until anytime I opened any app the phone would reboot, and then finally it shut off at one point and the LED began blinking; 3 times, pause 2 times, long pause, 3 times, pause, etc...

So I pulled the battery, waited a couple minutes, popped it back in, phone rebooted, hourglass goes through it's motions and phone comes up for about 5 minutes before turning off again, only this time the LED would flash 4 times, long pause, 4 times, etc.

Well, several hard reboots later and only having the phone come up for no longer than 2-5 minutes at a time I wiped the phone via the options, gets halfway through wiping and the phone shuts off, LED blinks the 3-2 sequence. I pull the batt, wait, pop it in and the wipe continues from where it left of... It took 3 batt pulls before it could get through the entire wipe.

Next, I uninstalled Desktop Manager and OS from my computer, delete registry entries, went to T-Mobile site and re-downloaded the latest and install, then followed the Recover Dead Blackberry Tutorial (forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-do-i-recover-dead-blackberry-32322/). The damn bb keeps shutting down while the OS installer is running and varrying to either the 3-2 LED blink or the 4 LED blink, no rhyme or reason, but either way, pull the battery, wait, pop it in and try again...

FINALLY it get the OS installed without shutting down and the wait starts as it does whatever the phone does after OS install and sits there for 15 minutes while the hourglass turns over and over and over... However, of course the phone randomly shuts off during this process, but I'm optimistic because it takes longer and longer before it just shuts off. So I keep goin through the motions until finally it installs cleanly and the phone comes up, checks the security software, and then, you guessed it, shuts off about 1 minute later.

So, I wipe again using JV Command, try the process with 4.5 OS (T-Mobile gives you 4.2) and the phone start to cycle reboot. So, now I use the BB101:Reload OS on nuked BB tutorial, still to no avail (crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry). It 6:30 here now and I've been at this since 11:00 this morning and can't seem to get this thing to work... I've tried every tutorial, every tool, and every angle that I have found in several different forums and nothing seems to work, the phone still just shuts off randomly and won't do squat until I remove the battery, but even then, all I get now is watching the hour glass for a few minutes before the phone just shuts off again and the LED blinks.

It's also worth noting that when the phone crashes and goes into blinkey mode that the computer doesn't recognize that the phone is connected to the USB port so pulling the battery is the only way to get it back to a state where it will at least be seen by the computer...

Anyways, like I said, I have tried many different "bring your bb back from the dead" tutorials and nothing seems to be working so does anyone have any ideas or do I just have myself a nice shiney new brick?
    08-21-08 07:39 PM
    Well, I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I have a bricked Pearl... I have done some research and since I can't afford a Curve and would prefer a QWERTY keyboard I think I am going to go with the 8700g... It seems like a pretty nice alternative, but what do you think? Any advice is helpful! Thanks!
    08-22-08 01:20 PM
    can you send it back and get a new one tmobile did that for my pearl
    08-22-08 01:47 PM
    Sounds to me like you need to send the device back to Tmobile.
    08-22-08 01:52 PM
    can you send it back and get a new one tmobile did that for my pearl
    I only wish... it's definitely out of warranty although I might go talk with them anyways and see if they might be able to get me some kind of deal...
    08-22-08 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD