I have a Pearl 8220 that was given to me by a friend. I had it for a day, it was working great, then decided to update it. In retrospect this was likely a big mistake. I used the ApploaderWebSL-Upgrade from Blackberry instead of the OS file directly from T-mobile. Well, it failed while loading the new apps. Since then I've tried probably every de-bricking tutorial on the web and spent a grand total of probably 24 hours total on it. Start the update with the battery out, put it back in, wipe with JL_CMDER, update with battery in, use Apploader with and without the /nojvm switch, use Desktop Manager, etc. It always fails at some point in loading the .cod files, usually the net_rim_cldc.cod file. Using the latest OS file from the sticky thread here let it get further along in the app loading process (and I did remove the vendor.xml file), but it still failed before it was finished. After this failure it usually comes back up with a 507 error. I'm hoping someone here with some experience de-bricking a very stubborn Pearl will have some insight into this. I would like to fix my mistake rather than send it in. My friend got it mid-December 2008 so I'm not sure it's in warranty anymore.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    07-06-09 05:22 PM
    Just to be clear, you've followed the instructions like they say here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ckberry-32322/

Just so you know, I've sometimes had the 507 error come up for a few seconds before app loader continues to load. How long do you wait before you know for certain that it's now working.

I think phone warranties are supposed to last for 1 year, but I'm not sure.
    07-06-09 05:38 PM
    I bricked all my berries at one point.
    1. Download most recent OS from T Mobile
    2. Uninstall any OS versions from PC
    3. Install T Mobile approved OS
    4. Run JlCmdr (may have to do this a couple of times)
    5. Disconnect from internet
    6. Plug berry in via usb
    7. Run DM
    8. Click update
    9. If this doesn't work you may have to run apploader manually

Hope this helps you out. Last time I bricked my storm I had to run JlCmder 3 times for the wipe to take effect.
    07-06-09 06:11 PM
    C0rinne,

Yes, this was one of the first how-tos I tried!
    The app loader always comes up, and does detect the BB. The upgrade seems to proceed fine (erase apps, load system software, wait for initialize, reconnect to JVM) until it loads the apps, then that is where it always fails. Usually on the net_rim_cldc.cod file, sometimes further along. Once in a while right at the beginning of the update process it will upload a RAM image file, but not all the time. Right now the BB is sitting here plugged into the USB, displaying a 507 error, after another failed update/rescue attempt.

The 1-year warranty is sounding good, I may have to use it!

Thanks for your help.
    07-06-09 06:15 PM
    I'd say go with the apploader directions.

We can already confirm that it's a process that works, and you don't want to do irreparable damage to your berry by continuing to try it over and over and over again.

Edit:
    And the OS that you have installed is which the latest?
    07-06-09 06:16 PM
    c0rinne,

It's the version listed at the top of this section of the forum, 4.6.0.278.

Edit: also, I have been invoking app loader (loader.exe) manually, from the directory listed in Step #4 in the link you posted, and not through Desktop Manager, though I have tried it that way also, with no luck.
    Last edited by aveteam; 07-06-09 at 06:47 PM.
    07-06-09 06:43 PM
    mdorrett,

I'm pretty sure it's connecting and wiping the BB, when I type "blackberry" in JL_CMDER and hit enter, it says "Connecting to device..."
    "Connected"
    Then JL_CMDER goes back to the main screen, the BB reboots, shows a spinning hourglass for a couple of seconds, then displays the 507 error, which I understand is a good thing in this case.
    I've also tried the latest OS from T-MO as you suggested (4.6.0.180) after a device wipe, with no better luck. Sorry!
    07-06-09 06:53 PM
    I'm pretty sure it's connecting and wiping the BB, when I type "blackberry" in JL_CMDER and hit enter, it says "Connecting to device..."
    "Connected"
    Then JL_CMDER goes back to the main screen, the BB reboots, shows a spinning hourglass for a couple of seconds, then displays the 507 error, which I understand is a good thing in this case.
    I've also tried the latest OS from T-MO as you suggested (4.6.0.180) after a device wipe, with no better luck. Sorry!
    507 is correct, that's the BIOS saying there is no OS on the phone.

When I tried to reinstall the OS on my bricked BB a couple weeks ago, I got stuck for a few hours because the USB port of my laptop was in a borked state from all the BB restarts.

Start with the USB cable disconnected and your phone at the 507 screen. Connect the USB cable and listen for the Windows "plink" of recognition. If you don't hear it, disconnect the USB cable, reboot your PC (close Desktop Manager if it comes up), and try again. Once you've got Windows recognizing the USB cable, start the apploader process.

Do the reinstall with only 4.6.0.180 on your PC. Get that up and running on your phone. Then take a deep cleansing breath; give your BB some love, check email, call voicemail, and revel in the fact that your BB is alive again. After your heart rate has stabilized and all the adrenaline is out of your system, do the 4.6.0.278 upgrade per the sticky.
    07-06-09 08:23 PM
    507 is correct, that's the BIOS saying there is no OS on the phone.

When I tried to reinstall the OS on my bricked BB a couple weeks ago, I got stuck for a few hours because the USB port of my laptop was in a borked state from all the BB restarts.

Start with the USB cable disconnected and your phone at the 507 screen. Connect the USB cable and listen for the Windows "plink" of recognition. If you don't hear it, disconnect the USB cable, reboot your PC (close Desktop Manager if it comes up), and try again. Once you've got Windows recognizing the USB cable, start the apploader process.

Do the reinstall with only 4.6.0.180 on your PC. Get that up and running on your phone. Then take a deep cleansing breath; give your BB some love, check email, call voicemail, and revel in the fact that your BB is alive again. After your heart rate has stabilized and all the adrenaline is out of your system, do the 4.6.0.278 upgrade per the sticky.
    Will do! It's nice to hear somebody's got their BB out of this state!
    07-07-09 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD