My Dad is ready to upgrade his phone. He is on the VZW network.
    This is what he wants:
    -A phone to make and recieve calls.
    -Sync with outlook so he plugs the phone to his CPU and it updates all the most recent messages to his phone or sends all the messages he wrote on his phone out via outlook.
    -something small and compact
    This is what he doesnt want:
    -The cost of a data plan
    -internet
    -mail messages beeping all the time
    -two devices

So My idea is for him to get a pearl flip and cancel the data plan after the first month then sync with DM for his email needs. Will this work?
    06-10-09 09:14 AM
    The data plan is 100% required to have on if you are on the VZW network with a BlackBerry. There is no way around this.
    06-10-09 11:29 AM
    right, this plan won't work. I'm not sure there is any solution if he wants to sync, but doesn't want to get a data plan nor internet, on any carrier.
    06-10-09 11:43 AM
    Used to be you could do this if you had a Windows Mobile phone. It will sync messages with Outlook. You just couldn't send or receive them without a data plan. You might want to ask a service rep about the particular phone but then again, you'd probably be better off calling their technical support. Service reps in the stores rarely have that kind of knowledge (my experience). You will NOT be able to do this with a Blackberry.
    06-15-09 10:01 AM
    My Dad is ready to upgrade his phone. He is on the VZW network.
    This is what he wants:
    -A phone to make and recieve calls.
    -Sync with outlook so he plugs the phone to his CPU and it updates all the most recent messages to his phone or sends all the messages he wrote on his phone out via outlook.
    -something small and compact
    This is what he doesnt want:
    -The cost of a data plan
    -internet
    -mail messages beeping all the time
    -two devices

So My idea is for him to get a pearl flip and cancel the data plan after the first month then sync with DM for his email needs. Will this work?
    I would be cautious about terminating the data plan after the first month.

Usually most (if not all) carriers now-a-days charge even for an early termination of just the data plan.

Look at the price of the phone and see if the cost is $99.99 for a (2) two year contract (after mail in rebate) -or- $469 for voice only.

You can be pretty sure that they will charge you for an early termination of the data plan if you get the phone for $99.99.

The best thing to do is to ask them and see if there is a fee for an early termination of the data plan.

Yes, you might get the phone for $99.99, but then after the first month with the data cancellation, you might get a $125 - $175 data termination fee on your next bill.

Just something to check on before you go with that idea.

msblueline
    06-15-09 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD