I got m'lady a pink Pearl 3G 9100 from Telus and she had some minor issues with it, so I went and bought her another one which still within the return policy. She then noticed that the bottom right corner of the housing covering the screen was loose so we exchanged that within the return policy (however we returned the 2 and got one new one so that we restarted our return policy). At this point, she noticed the touch pad was sticking at the bottom and became unresponsive every now and then.

Now she's on her 4th one, after we went from Best Buy to Best Buy (they seem to have the best return policy on them compared to the rest), until we finally found one with a half decent touch pad and no screen cover issue.

Has anyone else experienced anything of this sort? I find it rather surprising that RIM would allow something like this to come out in such a massive deployment, considering we must've gone through at least 10 of them with the touch pad getting stuck practically from the beginning.
    07-06-10 03:36 PM
    Wait 'til the edge of the keys start to rub off.. The trackpad is just crap..compared to the 9700..Hopefully the first update will fix it.
    07-06-10 05:06 PM
    I got m'lady a pink Pearl 3G 9100 from Telus and she had some minor issues with it, so I went and bought her another one which still within the return policy. She then noticed that the bottom right corner of the housing covering the screen was loose so we exchanged that within the return policy (however we returned the 2 and got one new one so that we restarted our return policy). At this point, she noticed the touch pad was sticking at the bottom and became unresponsive every now and then.

Now she's on her 4th one, after we went from Best Buy to Best Buy (they seem to have the best return policy on them compared to the rest), until we finally found one with a half decent touch pad and no screen cover issue.

Has anyone else experienced anything of this sort? I find it rather surprising that RIM would allow something like this to come out in such a massive deployment, considering we must've gone through at least 10 of them with the touch pad getting stuck practically from the beginning.

Got one for myself and my GF. Both work excellent. No complaints about the fit or finish. Trackpad works good, Keys dont stick. Maybe it has something to do with Telus and the pink coloring they put on it ??
    07-06-10 05:10 PM
    Got one for myself and my GF. Both work excellent. No complaints about the fit or finish. Trackpad works good, Keys dont stick. Maybe it has something to do with Telus and the pink coloring they put on it ??
    We checked one black Telus one, and the trackpad issue seemed to be there on it as well. Do you have the Rogers one?
    07-06-10 05:14 PM
    The Bell units which seem to be inadultered. Seem to have a decent trackpad. No misalignment issues, but not as smooth as the 9700. The issue that will certainly arise is the poor design of the lcd lense cover which will certainly delaminate. From the body. Real shame, and I've seen this on 3 units so far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-10 07:03 AM
    And just when we were about to try out the Bell one before switching her over to the 9700 :-/ I guess we'll give it a try regardless, just in case :-D
    07-08-10 11:15 AM
    I just noticed how poor my typing abilities are using the Pearl. I'm coming over from a 9700, so getting adjusted to SureType is proving to be challenging. I wouldn't want to turn you off from the Bell version of the Pearl, it sure is nice in stock black. Just exercise caution, don't leave the phone in direct sunlight, that will probably soften up the glue that holds the lense cover to the body. Use a case or holster. I love this phone. I can't pick up my 9700 without feeling like I'm carrying a brick (and the 9700 ain't
    that big)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 04:05 PM
    Went from my 9000>9700>9100 and I can't even look at my 9700 anymore. Suretype took about 3 days to re-adjust. I'm totally fine with it now.
    07-10-10 10:41 PM
    Thank you peeps for your feedback. Looking forward to having m'lady try out the black Bell one :-D
    07-14-10 01:46 PM
    i think it's a best buy thing...someone else i know got one from best buy, same issue. perhaps the truck that transported them was in our scorching heat the past 2 weeks and it damaged the devices? mine is ok and i've had it a week now. the guy @ the telus store told me the blue colouring on the trackpad is on the inside so no worries about the colour rubbing off...which would make sense considering it's a trackpad...why would they put it on the outside....
    07-15-10 10:52 AM
    I bought a 9100 from Bell, and there appeared to be a screw missing from the top left corner, so the left side of the screen actually lifted up and there was a big gap between it and the bezel!

I returned it and got a different one, and my second one had a funny alt key. It's hard to describe what was wrong with it, it kinda rocked back and forth in a weird way, and seemed to be looser than the other keys...

I returned the second one as well and am sticking with my 9700 for now...
    07-16-10 09:49 PM
    It's a bitter sweet feeling owning a 9100. To sum it up in short, the guts are wonderful, but the packaging could have been better! I know that there isn't one perfect device that has it all, and with the Iphone blunder in the fore front of the news, you can't help but shake your head at the designers.

I previously had the 9700 and that phone felt great in the hand. The build quality of the 9700 is superior to that of the 9100. I'm going to stick it out with the 9100 until something drastic goes wrong.

I wish RIM would release a phone built like the Sony P1i that I had. That phone felt solid. Solid enough to knock someone out if they stepped out of line. Someone might add "that's all a Sony is good for"
    07-16-10 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD