I'm beginning to see marks on my display from where it contacts the keypad. There is a mark corresponding to each of the curved metal bars, and a semi-circular mark corresponding to the recess around the button.

So far, I don't really notice the marks unless I hold it up to the light, but it seems obvious that as the marks increase and deepen they will start to interfere with the display. They are more than smudges -- they will not wipe off.

Do I need to buy a screen protector? That's supposed to be one of the main advantages of a flip phone -- the screen is supposed to be protected when it is closed.

I'm considering ways to raise the little bumper down at the bottom so that the phone leaves a slightly larger gap. Either put something underneath or put something on top of it. Either way, I hate to mess with a brand new phone and don't feel that I should have to.

Anyone else notice this?
    12-13-08 09:11 PM
    I have noticed this also but am not overly concerned. That is only a plastic cover for the actual screen, I had to replace one on a Motorola flip phone before. Hopefully the BB parts will be easy to obtain when needed.
    A screen protector would stop the damage and cost less.
    12-13-08 11:22 PM
    I have a screen protector on mine, and yeah I can see the markings. They rub off though, for me.
    12-14-08 11:19 AM
    Huh, odd. I don't see those marks at all, and I snap my 8220 shut all the time. Perhaps some were built tighter than others, which would explain the damage, and my lack thereof.
    12-14-08 02:24 PM
    I haven't seen any parts available for the 8220

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 05:48 PM
    Mine has the marks too, but they come off with a microfiber cloth. Try wiping your keypad too. Face grease and pocket gunk get trapped and form the lines.
    12-14-08 05:53 PM
    In a few months we will find parts.
    12-14-08 05:56 PM
    CNN.cn is really good about getting parts in. They dont have any right now, but they will soon. Took about 2-3 months for parts to come in for the 8120.
    12-14-08 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD