Hi all,

I have always been happy with the pearls keyboard, more so than a full qwerty keyboard.

However for a while now, my keys have been overly sensitive... From research, i found that i may need to replace the keyboard PCB.

I did notice that they were working fine when i am typing in a password or something more secure or precise, where the software didn't guess what i was trying to say.

Tried updating and restoring the OS but that didn't help.

Is it hardware related or software?

Any suggestions would be nice

Thanks,

Phil.
    09-13-13 01:39 PM
    To add an example of my situation:

If i am typing a word, 1 or 2 of the letters in the word will print something like 5 times in a row even though i pressed only once.
    09-13-13 01:42 PM
    Hi all,

I have always been happy with the pearls keyboard, more so than a full qwerty keyboard.

However for a while now, my keys have been overly sensitive... From research, i found that i may need to replace the keyboard PCB.

I did notice that they were working fine when i am typing in a password or something more secure or precise, where the software didn't guess what i was trying to say.

Tried updating and restoring the OS but that didn't help.

Is it hardware related or software?

Any suggestions would be nice

Thanks,

Phil.
    This is a known problem with the physical keyboards. Not a widespread problem though.
    I don't think you have to replace the PCB - just the keyboard (more likely the membrane / contacts). I tried it myself with a BB 9900 and it worked perfectly.

Go on ebay and find keyboard + membrane (should be possible to find from the same dealer). Some also sells the correct tools which is convenient.

Pls. pay attention to if you have the Pearl 81x0 or 910x.

You will find pleanty of videos on youtube showing you how:
    blackberry pearl replace keyboard - YouTube
    09-14-13 06:35 PM
    This is a known problem with the physical keyboards. Not a widespread problem though.
    I don't think you have to replace the PCB - just the keyboard (more likely the membrane / contacts). I tried it myself with a BB 9900 and it worked perfectly.

Go on ebay and find keyboard + membrane (should be possible to find from the same dealer). Some also sells the correct tools which is convenient.

Pls. pay attention to if you have the Pearl 81x0 or 910x.

You will find pleanty of videos on youtube showing you how:
    blackberry pearl replace keyboard - YouTube
    Thanks for the info, lucky enough i have the membrane, but not a new keyboard. I have used the keyboard so much that the keys have started losing their colour.

I was also going to say that i have a very good feeling its software related, since this problem is intermittent and happens with the media keys on the top of the device.

Unfortunately the microUSB port is dead, so i have to use an external charger, can i reinstall the software via bluetooth?
    09-20-13 06:26 PM