So I hear about people with 20 or 30 MB of memory available and I've done JC's memory technique and yet I sit here around 12 MB after a soft reset and it tends to hover between 8-10 during normal usage.

I think I'm noticing a trend regarding users with low memory. A lot of us are Verizon customers. I have very few third party apps installed (google maps, jivetalk, facebook, and softreset). I've removed the VZW theme that came with the phone. I'm running the latest OS on the phone and I have no pics, videos, or music stored on the device itself...only the media card.

So what gives? I'd like to hear what people see when they connect their phone to their PC and run the Blackberry Application Loader. On the Device Application Selection screen it shows things that are installed or can be installed/uninstalled from your phone.

First thing on the list is Blackberry 4.3 System Software. Size is 16817k
    Second on the list is Blackberry Core Applications. Size is 15455k
    If you expand that 2nd item, none of the extra languages or font supports are selected. So between the first two items on the list we're looking at over 30MB of memory being used? What's up with that? With my other apps selected, it shows total application space of 41224k. Anyone have any insight on this?
    04-17-08 09:24 PM
    Yeah, I just had a user (Blueberry23) from another carrier tell me he's got 37 MB on an 8100 running lots of apps. He mentioned that its a "Verizon thing" too... What gives?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-08 09:34 PM
    Verizon 8830 running OS 4.2.2.176
    Blackberry 4.2 System.......19,219
    Blackberry 4.2 Core Apps...10,684

I have also performed the John Clark procedure. I removed all the themes except the 3 Zens. I removed the preloaded wallpaper as well, and French and Spanish. No other languages were present. I did not remove Voice Activated Dialing.
    Last edited by JeffH; 04-17-08 at 09:40 PM. Reason: More details
    04-17-08 09:37 PM
    Its not just a Verizon thing. My assistant just got her T-mobile 8120 in the mail today and it had only 14MB available right out of the box. She deleted sample video and a couple of apps and still only 17 available with not even installing 1 app yet. So I gave her the link to John Clark's memory thread and she should be in good shape after she completed it.

04-17-08 09:40 PM
    Its not just a Verizon thing. My assistant just got her T-mobile 8120 in the mail today and it had only 14MB available right out of the box. She deleted sample video and a couple of apps and still only 17 available with not even installing 1 app yet. So I gave her the link to John Clark's memory thread and she should be in good shape after she completed it.

Agreed, but after doing the JC thing and not installing many apps or keeping any sort of media on the device memory, why am I still maxing out at 12 MB of RAM after a battery pull or soft reset?
    04-17-08 09:47 PM
    Are you using Google Maps? If so, have you cleared the map cache? I'm not familiar with Soft Reset, but pulling the battery does not clear Google Maps' cache.
    04-17-08 09:50 PM
    For what its worth:
    OS version 4.3.0.97 I have 18.5 MB free memory using the Verizon theme. I just added it back, without it I had 20 MB. I went through J. Clarks memory freeing memo and removed the pictures, video, foreign languages, and all the themes except BB Dimension themes and Verizon theme. I have added the following apps: SoftReset, Viigo, Crackberry, Blackberry Alerts, and Opera Mini.

I have about 80 contacts, a few added ringtones and 4 pictures. I do not have any music loaded or memory card, and zero calendar entries.
    04-17-08 10:10 PM
    Agreed, but after doing the JC thing and not installing many apps or keeping any sort of media on the device memory, why am I still maxing out at 12 MB of RAM after a battery pull or soft reset?

How much stuff did you actually delete? I did the thread and went from 17 MB to 30 MB.
    04-17-08 11:47 PM
    i think it has alot to do with the 4.3 OS and the fact that it has built in voice and video recording features etc. I think just that simply hogs up all that memory that we are all trying so hard to squeeeze out.
    04-18-08 12:57 AM
    I'd be interested in seeing if the amount of free memory you can get varies significantly by OS version, carrier, and phone, but I don't know how to normalize that for the various extra software packages we all load.

My Verizon 8830 has 20,023,411 free out of 47,841,280 total. I have OS 4.2.2.176.
    According to Apploader, my OS is using:
    Blackberry 4.2 System.......19,219
    Blackberry 4.2 Core Apps...10,684

How does that compare with anyone else's numbers?
    04-18-08 06:25 AM
    How much stuff did you actually delete? I did the thread and went from 17 MB to 30 MB.
    I redid the JC technique again last night. I'm now getting 18 MB after a reset, but the process did not go smoothly. First problem I noticed was the dreaded "no theme". Apparently I'd deleted a theme and my current theme (Dimension L) required. No worry, I reinstalled. The other issue was I noticed I was missing an icon but for the life of me I couldn't remember which one was missing. I discovered later accidentally when I clicked on a link in an email that I'd managed to hose the browser. But that wasn't apparently due to any modules I'd removed, but rather having some corrupt service books. I followed the directions to sign into Verizon's BIS server, but apparently I don't know my login for that and when I go to create an account, it prompts me to do this from the handheld instead. So anyway, I figure out how to do an OTA registration and then my browser pops back up with its icon and I noticed I have 18 MB free.

Things that I deleted the 2nd time were 2 themes I'd missed the first time. These were because I followed the instructions to remove all the vendor codes from the ALX file but didn't realize it was actually making my core files much bigger during install. I also gave up the wallpapers I wasn't using, though I do miss having the multi-colored folders. Those were the only new things that got taken out as far as I know. I'd already removed all the languages I wasn't using and BBMaps. Basically if it was in that thread and he said you could take it out, I did. I kept the voice activated dialing though. It works well for me when I'm driving.

So I'm at 18 MB after doing the JC thread. I still hear of people with far more than this so if someone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I like my Pearl a lot, I just wish they'd put an appropriate amount of memory in it and had better memory management too. Why can't all my messages and contacts be stored on my media card? That would just make more sense to me.
    04-18-08 06:44 AM
    I have the latest update. I only removed lanuages and the sample video, I have about 360 contacts and use my calender all the time.
    I have 18.4 free after battery pull, but it normally hovers around 17.7 free.
    04-18-08 06:53 AM
    So I just got the Pearl a week ago today and was definately having problems with memory...Especially since I had to download Epocrates, a medical program, which took up 9+ MB of space! Anyways, I did the new OS install, the JC thing, and now I'm at about 16 MB of space and I've also noticed that the memory is no longer! I'm actually going up in free space (not much but still not like the 1 MB of space I would lose in an hour prior)...So I guess without my program I would be at 26 MB which isn't bad...Not sure what else could be making stuff take up space?
    04-18-08 07:38 AM
    I've noticed that the memory leak is no longer...I meant to say in the above post...Hahah
    04-18-08 07:39 AM
    One of the things you have to take into consideration is that non-Pearl users also post on this forum a lot. And since the Curve has more internal memory, the numbers may be really high but not attainable with the Pearl unless you remove everything you don't need and don't have any 3rd party apps.

I removed the following:

Voice dialing, sample video, sample wall paper, language packs that I don't need, themes that I don't use

I also have a handful of applications but I'm at a comfortable 22 mb when I do a soft reset.
    04-18-08 07:47 AM
    The most I've ever had was 15mb. I've got quite a few themes and now hover around 13mb. I check it pretty often and if I go below 10mb I do a soft reset. I've never had any issues.

What's gained by going and staying above 15mb? I cleared what I did so that I would have more space for stuff that I wanted. Do you get better performance with a lot of free space? What's the draw?
    04-18-08 10:02 PM
    No draw, but no worries either.
    After deleting vad, task manager, the 2 Meg reserve for pics, help, preloaded pics and tones, ptt, all vendor themes, hid all of the lglg logging, getting rid of all foreign languages, preloaded video from the out of the box setup.
    I kept password keeper, BB maps, brickbreaker, and run
    Crackberry, espn, viigo, beyond 411, google maps, soft reset, opera mini and soduko.
    I also have 107 contacts, 20 memos and about 50 emails and texts, and a boatload of calender stuff.
    After a browser cache clean and a soft reset, I break 23 Meg. I'm happy.

Just don't try and delete search, bad, very bad..

04-18-08 11:21 PM
    I did the JC thread, and still hover around 10 mb. I notice big lag issues, white screens, delayed typing - all of which annoy me to the point that I think I'm going to return it and wait to get a Curve. The low memory in this phone is crippling - I can't believe how RIM/VZW dropped the ball on this one.

What's the point of having a BB if you can't use any 3rd party apps due to lack of memory???
    04-19-08 11:20 AM
    I thought about Epocrates until I saw that it had to go on internal memory.
    I use a program called PEPID. It is not free like Epocrates but allows the bulk of the information to go on the card. I think it was $75 or so for a year.
    The Tarascon pharmacopia was so s l o w it was not funny and I got rid of right away. I've used Epocrates on Palms/Treos - their problem is they keep adding in so much more junk.
    04-19-08 11:43 AM
    I have Verizon, currently have Facebook, SoftReset, Google Maps and Opera Mini. I've got about 100 entries in the address book w/ emails + birthdays + addresses etc. I deleted all but the Verizon themes, BB Maps, sample video, preloaded wallpapers.

After I did all the JC tweaking and deleted all messages (emails + SMS, MMS), I ended up with about 20mb free.
    04-20-08 09:58 AM
    I have around 17.7 free after using the process posted here in the forums to free up memory. I have a few apps and a bunch of ringtones (but they are on my media card) but it runs fine and doesn't give me troubles. I'm good with 17.7 free.
    04-20-08 10:16 AM
    I did the J.C. Memory cleanup and got rid of extra languages, voice dial, stock ringtones, sample vid, extra themes, memo pad, & BB maps. I installed VZnav, iCallmanager, berryacode, facebook, beyond 411, opera mini, google sync, Viigo, CB and a few custom themes and I am sitting at a little over 16 megabytes free. I haven't done a reset in a day or two though. Usually after a reset I am at around 19.

04-20-08 10:40 AM
    Also got rid of help and brickbreaker... Forgot to mention that.

Just did a soft reset and have 18.67 MB free.

04-20-08 10:52 AM
    lol help and brickbreaker?! i use help occasionally and i play brickbreaker all day! but to each his own

...lets see 8MB free and i did a batt pull yesterday! right after i did the batt pull i had about 14MB. i think the highest its every been is 18MB. all i need to do is clear my internet cache once a day to improve it but i always forget. i already deleted the unused languages and sample vid, everything else i wanted to keep. i have sprint. but i don't really crave a lot of extra free memory. i have gone as low as 3MB and i have lost no messages! guess im just lucky.
    04-20-08 12:27 PM
    I've deleted BB maps, all the extra languages, brickbreaker (I never play it anyway), and never had any sample video to begin with. I've added google sync and google maps, and have a pretty sparse calendar and maybe 20 emails at any one time, and clear out my call log and browser cache regularly. All my photos are on my 1GB SD card.

After a battery pull, I have just about 17.5 mb free, but in a week's time I'll get as low as 13 mb in spite of always closing apps when I am done with them.

As a Mac user, I can only remove things that I can delete directly on my Pearl. Will this be a problem?
    04-20-08 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD