Intro: I've been a BlackBerry user since 2007 with an 8120. I enjoyed using it, the only fault I could find was that it didn't have much of what I wanted in input. At that time I was able to find Chinese input and display but not Korean input or Japanese input (or display for that matter, but emphasis is on input). When I heard that the 9100 was coming out I was excited and researched all of the features. The Knowledge Base shows that OS5 can do display & input for Japanese. That's fine and dandy, what's especially important is that it says GSM SURETYPE DEVICES can do this. (It didn't show if OS6 could do the same.) So I thought "Yay!" And went ahead and got a 9100. Of course out of the box it doesn't have this, everyone knows.
    /Intro.

TL;DR follows:
    I thought I'd just search the internet for "BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100 Japanese Input" and find instructions. Nope. In fact search results gave the impression that none of these devices were selling (maybe that's so) like they didn't even exist. I could only find results for 8120, saying that of course, Japanese input wasn't capable*. But I'm stubborn ("It says it can do it in the KB**!"). So I went to the BlackBerry Device Downloads page and clicked through every East Asia Carrier looking for 9100 model software.

I had found this: 9100_9105EastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1476_PL6.2.0.94_A5.0 .0.884_SK_Telecom__ (I only chose it out of the OS5's for 9100 because I saw the phone being used on Kdrama so for sure, this was going to work... in my head)
    This has Chinese Input & Display, Korean Input & Display, Japanese---(wait for it) Display only. What the crap. But yes, the little "j" is important. So I kept looking around and found only ONE software: 9100_9105jAsia_PBr6.0.0_rel2474_PL6.6.0.207_A6.0.0 .546_Bharti_Airtel_Limited "Woohoo little j! Little j!" XD So I go to install this software (I had previously installed OS6 before from: 9100_9105itutM_PBr6.0.0_rel2532_PL6.6.0.212_A6.0.0 .570_Pelephone because I wanted Hebrew Input because I just like learning languages and my phone is my main source of internet. Whut. Besides, it has support for a bunch of other languages too. But I didn't like OS6 so I reverted to OS5.) So I waited for all the snazzy videos to stop showing how to use my phone so I could set up my input languages and look---no Japanese Input nor Display. WTF---

Screw you little j, you're a damn liar.

When I wanted to know why the SK Telecom version didn't have input all I had to do was look into the CJK.alx and it will tell you the .cods you need. SK Telecom was missing the ones for input of course. And Bharti Airtel Ltd obviously had the input but not the display. How the heck? Anyhow, it made me think about how I was going to update my 8120 once, but the newer version didn't include Japanese font support so I just copied the according .cods into the newer version's java folder. I thought I'd do the same for this case. That being, copying display support SK Telecom--> Bharti Airtel LTD input support--> Pelephone (because Pelephone was the latest OS6 I had).

What happened was that I got the result of having Chinese Input & Display, Korean Input & Display, Japanese (wait for it) Input & Display for options to install. Woohoo~ so I clicked the next button to proceed with the install but it said it couldn't complete because "net.rim.blackberry.xml" was not loaded into. So I was just gonna call it a day and go back to OS5 where at least I had font support for all of CJK. Wipe my device and try to reload OS5 only to get an "unspecified error encountered [A: 0x00000020]" and really really scary red LED "heartbeat" with the phone not starting at all. Or even being recognised as USB (because I had deleted other device software from my computer). So I uninstalled/reinstalled DM and my OS5 SK Telecom and restarted pc multiple times with the device being recognised as a USB now, but still getting the [A: 0x00000020] error when the Apploader seemed to be installing honkidori but suddenly gives up.

So then I installed Pelephone again tried the Apploader one last time. Tada~ no more scary red LED "heartbeat". (Thank you, God. For serious, it was scary thinking I bricked my only phone) But no CJK either. :< I want to wipe it and install OS5 again but that damn [A: 0x00000020] error scared me off from it just now.

------Summary:
    BlackBerry is a pain in the **** with their software. BlackBerry Pearl 3G model: 9100 does seem to support both Japanese Input & Display---you just have make it happen out of your own kinda hybrid of a software known to have the corresponding files (you can also click Details on DM if input or display is an option in that particular software. I can't do it right now because I'd need to be installing the software for DM to show it to me... and that's a whole downgrade business... OR look at the details on the software for BlackBerry QWERTY model, I can't for the same reasons stated.):

Obviously, weed out the files you won't use, such as Docs To Go, etc.

DocsToGoCommon47Resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_crypto_resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_diagnostic_resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_elt_resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_gmail_help_ja
    net_rim_bb_gmail_resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_help_9100_series__ja
    net_rim_bb_lbs_api_3_resources__ja
    net_rim_bb_lbs_resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_ldap_resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_passwordkeeper_resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_qm_aim_resource_ja
    net_rim_bb_qm_google_resource_ja
    net_rim_bb_qm_icq_resource_ja
    net_rim_bb_qm_msn_resource_ja
    net_rim_bb_qm_peer_resource_ja
    net_rim_bb_qm_yahoo_resource_ja
    net_rim_bb_resource__ja
    net_rim_bb_vvm_help_114__ja
    net_rim_bb_vvm_help__ja
    net_rim_bb_vvm_resource114__ja
    net_rim_bb_vvm_resource_114__ja
    net_rim_bb_vvm_resource__ja
    net_rim_bbapi_pim_res__ja
    net_rim_bis_client__ja
    net_rim_crypto_resource__ja
    net_rim_errortranslator_tmobile_resource__ja
    net_rim_font_japanese
    net_rim_font_japanese_droid
    net_rim_platform_im_resource__ja
    net_rim_platform_resource__ja
    net_rim_platformapps_resource__ja
    net_rim_runtime_resource__ja
    net_rim_secureemail_resource__ja
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__ja
    net_rim_vad_resource__ja
    net_rim_wlan_bb_resource__ja
    net_rim_wlan_runtime_resource__ja
    SheetToGo47Resource__ja
    SlideshowToGo47Resource__ja
    WordToGo47Resource__ja
    JapaneseOptions.cod
    net_rim_tid_AWnnJapanese.cod
    net_rim_font_emoji

These were my results when I only had Japanese Display but No Input from SK Telecom:
    net.rim.platform.lang.ja -- missing
    net.rim.blackberry.lang.ja.rendering -- missing
    net.rim.blackberry.lang.ja.emoji -- missing
    JapaneseOptions.cod
    net_rim_runtime_resource__ja.cod
    net_rim_bb_resource__ja.cod
    net_rim_bb_diagnostic_resource__ja.cod
    net_rim_wlan_bb_resource__ja.cod
    net_rim_wlan_runtime_resource__ja.cod
    net_rim_errortranslator_tmobile_resource__ja.cod
    net_rim_bb_elt_resource__ja.cod

------I'm sure someone with more experience altering .alx's and moving .cods and whatnot can put this more precisely but I was happy to have my phone unbricked and wanted to share my results. If someone manages to figure out that missing "net.rim.blackberry.xml" problem and gets an actual OS (5 or 6, although I prefer 5) with Japanese Display & Input, please let me know. Let everyone know please. O_O||| Or let me know if just copying the known working files from a BlackBerry Bold into the other device's java folder works just the same without all the hassle. I won't be able to tell the known working files because I don't have a Bold to test on, so please tell me the software that worked for you. ^^; ...or maybe I'm the only one with this phone that wants this? Haha.

*Even though 8120 had no BlackBerry official Japanese Input I was writing Japanese with PiClip. PiClip uses Japanese T9, meaning you only use your number keys on your 81xx. The only problem is that it takes a while to load and doesn't allow to switch between applications, bu~ut you can send sms from within the application, or copy it and paste it into mms. It also has Greek and Russian if you type in ギリス or ロシア. Ayamadori also made Qii, that I had been using up until this point, it has a significantly smaller loading time, let's you send within the program via sms, and BEST of all~ allows you to switch between applications without crashing. It doesn't have any fancy characters like PiClip does, so if you want stars ほし ☆★ or circles まる○●◎ or whatever use PiClip. Again this is for older BlackBerries like 81xx series.

I think all BlackBerry QWERTY devices have Japanese Input. It seems that way >_> Even so, there's KKJConv. I tried it once, but it doesn't seem to work on reduced keypads. There might be a new version that does, but I'm not going to bother.

**KB05305 Localization support for BlackBerry smartphones AND From device.xml for 9100: "<!-- 9100/9105 --><os radio="UMTS-WLAN" model="9100/9105" SystemSize="normal" KeyboardType="Reduced" JVMLevel="1.0" Colour="True" series="stratus" Theme="Normal" Bluetooth="True" GPS="True" Sound="Tunes8700g" MMS="True" Memory="Large" JPN_Input="True" VoiceNotes="True" ThemeSupport="Enhanced" pttApp="True" VAD="True" Camera="True" VideoRecorder="True" VPN="True" UMA="True" MTP="True" WLAN="True">0x05000D07</os>"

Forgive my rambling -bow-
    10-29-11 11:53 PM
    To clarify, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean can be rendered by all of the East Asia software I've used. By Display I mean that the menus have changed into the corresponding language. Input obviously means input.

Looking over the CJK.alx for 9100_9105EastAsia_PBr5.0.0_rel1476_PL6.2.0.94_A5.0 .0.884_SK_Telecom__ shows that files such as

JapaneseOptions.cod

shouldn't even be in there. I think JapaneseOptions.cod is the display, but it's not written into CJK.alx. Korean has display as well but that file is written as net_rim_bb_options_korean.cod.

I'm thinking net_rim_tid_Korean.cod is for input. Then that means that net_rim_tid_AWnnJapanese.cod should be input for Japanese. ...there's just something wrong in the CJK.alx, I guess.

Why would an official release be so broken? Haha ^^;
    10-30-11 11:21 PM
    I dunno the details of BlackBerry module files, but here's what I've heard:

It seems that the Japanese input module, net_rim_tid_AWnnJapanese.cod, requires kana-kanji dictionary module to work. Unfortunately it is NOT in *.cod files but *.sfi, the radio file (you may find it in UMTS directory). Since there is no known way to extract dictionary fron *.sfi, we have no way to input Japanese w/ non-Japanese OS even if all *.cods files is installed. Also we cannot swap *.sfi files between Japanese and non-Japanese OS (don't do that, you have warned).

As you know, there is no Japanese-input capable OS for 9100 (it seems that 9100_9105jAsia_PBr6.0.0_rel2474_PL6.6.0.207_A6.0.0 .546_Bharti_Airtel_Limited doesn't, even though the filename has 'j'), we cannot input Japanese on 9100.

Me also waiting Japanese-capable OS for 9100/9105... :-(
    10-31-11 07:03 AM
    I read that as well about the *.sfi file but I thought it implied CDMA models wouldn't work. Having my phone brick once is enough to tell me not to even touch the radio file ^^; haha.

-shrug- I guess BB isn't going to work on it since they really don't have a market in Japan ("who cares about people outside of Japan wanting it" kind of thinking)

Have you tried Ayamadori's apps? I'm using Qii. I figure by the time BB DOES give us input it won't even be worth it because I'll be so used to using third party program. -sigh-

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-11 08:52 AM
    -shrug- I guess BB isn't going to work on it since they really don't have a market in Japan ("who cares about people outside of Japan wanting it" kind of thinking)
    Haha, I'm fully agreed with you.

I never use Qii a Java Kana-Kanji conversion software, but played w/ KKJCONV. Both works well for those don't have a Japanese input system.

Come 'on RIM, give aWnn to Pearl 3G!
    11-11-11 09:13 AM
    Somebody stole my blackberry Curve 8900 phone with pin no. 2585CBB9. So, please tell me or how can i block / hack it by not functioning again.
    11-11-11 09:15 AM
    Somebody stole my blackberry Curve 8900 phone with pin no. 2585CBB9. So, please tell me or how can i block / hack it by not functioning again.
    Dabims, I'm sorry that happened to you. :< I know I'd be freaking out.

It's a good thing you remembered your pin though. I believe BlackBerry Protect provides the blocking/rendering unfunctionable services you seek. However, I haven't used BBP before so I don't know if it would do you any good if it wasn't previously loaded onto the phone.

But you can always give it a try. I hope you get your phone back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-11 01:28 AM
    hey doubleshot. did you have now any idea how to fix that problem.

i am a os6 user also and one of the people who wants to go back to os 5. and definitely experiencing the same error that you had. hope you can help me, thanks in advance
    11-30-11 06:40 AM
    First contact police and report it.. then contact your carrier and report it .. ask to block the imei.
    12-08-11 10:17 AM
    @Iamgleo, I'm sorry, I don't check the forums that frequently. -sweat-

An [A: 0x00000020] error is caused by corrupted OS, I think. IIRC, how I got my error was because I forgot to wipe OS6 from my phone before reinstalling OS5. So the OSes overlapped, I guess rendering it a brick.

I don't remember exactly how I got my pc to recognise it as USB. I think it was "uninstall all device software from pc, then reinstall". You have to reinstall, yes, reinstall OS6 to your phone. Then wipe it so that you get the 507 error--that's good.

Then uninstall OS6 software from your pc, install OS5 to your pc & device. It should be revived.

I hope I helped. Sorry for the late response
    12-25-11 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD