As you guys can tell im a n00b. I just got my pearl like 2 days ago and i dont know how to transfer pictures or ringtones onto my pearl. i tried to download that color my pearl for the trackball and when i try to open the program i get a pop up that says your computer may not view this properly. I need the right program to open these files. first off anyone know what program i need to open alx cod and jad files? ive tried to view posts and posts but it seems like everyone else is fine.

Also how the **** do you use media manager to transfer stuff? im lost.

Greatly appreciate it if anyone knows whats up and can get back to me. Thanks guys!
    02-10-08 01:32 AM
    If you have .alx and .cod files, run the Blackberry Desktop Manager with your BB plugged in. Click Add Applications, or something; the first icon in the list (I'm on Linux right now, can't check). Click next, until you come to a screen with an add button. Click it, and go to the folder with your .alx and .cod files, select the .alx file, and it will install the program to your BB.

.jad and .jar files are a different story, as those are Over-The-Air downloads usually. I've heard that you can stick them on your memory card and install them that way, but I'm not sure.

If you want to use the media manager to transfer stuff, the window on your right is your blackberry, the one on the left is your pc. Just click the files you want to transfer and click the arrows in the middle...have fun!
    02-10-08 01:37 AM
    Also, if you don't know in order to add applications to your BB from desktop manager, you must have both desktop manager installed as well as the device os software. If you don't you will get an error saying no applications for your device were found. You can get the device os software from your carrier's web site. Make sure that you install the version that you have on your BB. You can check that by going to Options > About and the 2nd or third like should say something like v4.2...
    02-10-08 01:43 AM
    Thanks you guys are great help, when i open up the application loader it reads the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. contact your wireless service provider or system administrator.
    02-10-08 01:57 AM
    I guess im going to call tmobile and ask them whats up with it.

Thanks again
    02-10-08 01:58 AM
    That's where you have to download and install the Blackberry OS for whatever version you have, through your Desktop Manager.
    02-10-08 10:29 AM
    This is the part where I say "Welcome to the Black n Crack" soooo...

Welcome to the Black n Crack.
    02-10-08 11:06 AM
    Thanks you guys are great help, when i open up the application loader it reads the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. contact your wireless service provider or system administrator.
    This is the exact problem I warned about in my post above. See the solution here: Application Loader Error - BlackBerryFAQ.com.
    Last edited by sunkast; 02-10-08 at 12:13 PM.
    02-10-08 12:11 PM
    Yeah I know i tried to download the software but i guess tmobile was having some maintenence done last night and their systems were down. I just actually got to download it this morning and everything went smoothly. Thanks alot.
    02-10-08 01:53 PM
    Timekeeper, the only thing is that i dont know what folder contains the alx and cod. lol im honestly slow
    02-10-08 01:57 PM
    i just searched the alx folders on my computer and this is what came up
    blackberry.alx
    browser.alx
    docviewer.alx
    help.alx
    lbs.alx
    mdsruntime.alx
    memopadjava.alx
    netrimbbmedioaloder
    phone.alx
    platform.alx
    rootcertifictates.alx
    tasksjava.alx

which one do i use bro? lol
    02-10-08 02:02 PM
    i have BB 8310 and it is not adding COS file, it is searching only for .ALX...Do we need to do anything to install cod file?
    12-28-09 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD