I received my fourth replacement 8220 last week and this one is also defective. I have to use WiFi in my home because we are in a dead area and UMA is the only way we can make or receive calls from inside the house.

The new phone started randomly dropping WiFI last Thursday. It will just drop the signal and will not pick it back up for several minutes. I spent over an hour on the phone with T-Mobile tech support and they finally decided the radio in the phone is bad. So it's going back and being replaced with a BB 8320 curve.

I liked several things about the 8220, but it's just not reliable. The only good part about this whole ordeal has been T-Mobile's response. They have been very responsive and quick to replace the defective phones with no hassle.
    09-06-09 10:57 AM
    what type of router do you have?
    09-06-09 12:15 PM
    what type of router do you have?
    I have two routers set up in bridge mode with one being a repeater. They are both linksys one is a 160N the other WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware.

There is no problem with the routers. The other three (really five) 8220's had no trouble connecting and staying connected to the network. They had other problems - like shutting off in the middle of a call or not allowing outgoing calls or locking up in the middle of the night. This one has a bad radio that intermittently cuts out. It's getting worse by the hour and I'm really stuck. I'm in a dead zone and without WiFi I cannot make or receive calls inside the house. I have a very faint edge signal in the back yard, but that does not help with incoming calls when I'm inside.

It looks like I will be phoneless (if that's a word) by tomorrow. The phone is now showing both edge and uma connections, but I cannot make a call and I guess no one can call me.
    09-06-09 05:01 PM
    I had to setup my router to b&g changed it to ch 11 reset the router and all seems good. I've been connected all morning with a solid connection so far so good.

You can also try manually assigning a stattic IP or vpn.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-09 06:47 PM
    I had to setup my router to b&g changed it to ch 11 reset the router and all seems good. I've been connected all morning with a solid connection so far so good.

You can also try manually assigning a stattic IP or vpn.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    None of those ideas work if the phone's radio is defective.
    Last edited by stev32k; 09-08-09 at 08:19 PM.
    09-08-09 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD