hi everyone, i recently downloaded OperaMini on my BB 8100, and i could access the internet with it, but i don't have a data plan with AT&T. my question is: will i still get charged for using OperaMini, and if i will, how much would it cost me?

thank you to everyone that replies.
    08-09-08 01:55 PM
    Do you have MediaNet?
    08-09-08 02:08 PM
    Do you have MediaNet?
    um im pretty sure i do, i seen an icon for it on my BB 8100.
    08-09-08 02:11 PM
    First off, you need to call your provider and get the details of your plan. Keep on top of this at all times.

Now, it has always been my understanding that using the internet will rack up data charges. However, I have been hearing more and more users who subscribe to MediaNet and use 3prd party browsers with no issues. Do you have an icon for the native BB browser? I know for a fact that email, BBM, and the native browser will NOT work without a data plan.

My best advice, as a non-ATT user, is to call ATT CS and ask them about your plan details and whether or not you will incur charges using any kind of browser program. My guess would be no, you will not, but again. I am not an ATT customer.
    08-09-08 02:14 PM
    First off, you need to call your provider and get the details of your plan. Keep on top of this at all times.

Now, it has always been my understanding that using the internet will rack up data charges. However, I have been hearing more and more users who subscribe to MediaNet and use 3prd party browsers with no issues. Do you have an icon for the native BB browser? I know for a fact that email, BBM, and the native browser will NOT work without a data plan.

My best advice, as a non-ATT user, is to call ATT CS and ask them about your plan details and whether or not you will incur charges using any kind of browser program. My guess would be no, you will not, but again. I am not an ATT customer.
    i do not have an icon for the native BB browser,but also i haven't subscribed to MediaNet in the past before. Anyways, i guess i will call AAT CS later on.
    Thanks for your time and help
    08-09-08 02:21 PM
    Unless you have a media net plan, it will charge you to use Opera Mini but I don't know how much. I heard the charges can rack up fast and big if you don't have a plan.
    08-09-08 02:22 PM
    i do not have an icon for the native BB browser,but also i haven't subscribed to MediaNet in the past before. Anyways, i guess i will call AAT CS later on.
    Thanks for your time and help
    If you have not subscribed to a data plan, nor have you signed up for MediaNet, you are without a doubt going to be charged. As Garz stated, these charges can rack up quickly. If I were you, I would call in and at least sign up for MediaNet, if not for a full unlimited data plan and see if ATT will back-date your plan to cover any charges incurred. Verizon does this, I know for a fact. Your carrier may differ.

As for the presence of the MediaNet icon, it may be pushed through your service books to your phone by ATT in an attempt to get you to sign up, but this does not mean that you are subscribed to or pay for the service.
    08-09-08 02:24 PM
    Unless you have a media net plan, it will charge you to use Opera Mini but I don't know how much. I heard the charges can rack up fast and big if you don't have a plan.
    oh boy, i hope these charges arent too expensive
    08-09-08 02:38 PM
    do u have a texting plan? I used to be with att and the $15 plan I had was 1500 texts and 5MB of data....so by chance if you have this you're good for up to 5MB. I didn't have the BB data plan when I had my curve with att....just used my text/data plan for minimal browsing (looking up directions, movie times, weather, etc) and it worked out pretty well. I couldn't get my email pushed but I had the gmail app and it would pull if you set it to that. Def a cheaper alternative to BB plans on att.
    08-09-08 03:42 PM
    Be advised, however, that 5MB is a very small amount of data..... It is well worth paying for the unlimited plan. Once you start to incur overages, the damage can be horrible...
    08-09-08 03:43 PM
    Get a data plan!
    08-09-08 03:46 PM
    0.01/kb ... Enjoy those usage charges w/o a data plan.
    08-10-08 12:13 AM
    I have the unlimited data plan, I use my bb way to much for anything else, lol.

Lindaga35

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-08 12:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD