I'm a current T-Mobile customer and am considering upgrading to either the Curve or Pearl 8120. I have read a number of reviews for both devices and am still on the fence about which one is better for me, and I have a question that may help me decide.

A few of the reviews of the T-Mobile Curve that I read indicate that the Curve's instant messaging software (like AIM) works over the BB data plan, while older Blackberrys' messaging software works by text message. My question is whether or not this is also true for the Pearl 8120. I do a fair bit of IMing over AIM and Gchat with people who do not have Blackberries, and I do not text much, so whether or not the Pearl 8120's AIM and Gchat work over the BB data plan or text message could make the difference in whether or not I need to add on a text message package (at $5-15/mo). The extra $60-$180 a year for the text message package is a significant cost and could sway me toward the Curve.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    06-03-08 11:05 PM
    The 8120 has an IM client that uses data. There are also several alternatives that also use data such as Jivetalk and IM+. Don't worry about having to add text.
    06-04-08 12:03 AM
    Thanks! I appreciate your quick response!
    06-04-08 12:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD