My lcd display is starting to get scratches on it, from the chrome accents around the keys on the keypad and around the trackball. Is anyone else getting the same thing?
    05-13-09 12:25 PM
    My lcd display is starting to get scratches on it, from the chrome accents around the keys on the keypad and around the trackball. Is anyone else getting the same thing?
    hmm not here and had not heard anything like this before. If you look at the phone sideways the only thing that should stick out a bit is the key5 identifier dot on it all else should be leveled... is the chrome sticking out?
    05-13-09 12:27 PM
    I was getting a "C" shaped swirl scratch on my inner screen even though the phone was closed and in a holster. I could never figure out what was causing it. I couldn't have been the metal keyboard frets because they were curved into a "C." I put a screen protector on and the scratches are invisible now. Oh well.
    05-13-09 02:45 PM
    You cant see them sticking out, but you can feel them protruding a bit
    05-13-09 05:03 PM
    Which screen protector did you go with? I've heard some of them are difficult and messy to install
    05-13-09 05:17 PM
    Originally I used one I got off ebay. It was a harder plastic film protector for the front and inside screen. It was nice and clear, but it didn't got up to the top around the camera on the front and didn't cover the "t-mobile" bottom section of in inside. I replaced them with the BSE full body protector. I now know why the other protector didn't cover the "t-mobile" section. The BSE does and it is actually thick enough to gap the flip when it's closed. I only noticed because it was mentioned in these forums. Also, the BSE is a soft plastic so you can see impressions on it. Looking at it, I do see where the outer edges of the keyboard frets are touching the screen as well as a dimple from the bump on key "5."

I like the BSE, but in retrospect, I should have kept the other protector on the inside a little longer and use the BSE on just the outside. What prompted me most to remove the original inner screen protector was that it wasn't as scratch resistant as claimed. I was seeing faint swirl scratches forming on it. The BSE is softer so the scuffs seem to wipe away but the indents remain longer since you re-impress them everytime you close the flip.

Overall the application process was easier than I thought it would be, but time consuming nonetheless and one where once you've done it, you might think to yourself, I could probably do a little better if I had a chance to do over.
    05-13-09 06:00 PM
    yes this happened to my phone once i call t-mobile and they switched it for me its all the accents and how the butons are raised i see a design flaw with this design the rubber is not rasing the phone screen enough
    05-13-09 06:04 PM
    Thanks guys! I will call T-Mobile now!
    05-13-09 06:49 PM
    Looking at the marking on the inner screen today, it's not the chrome accents that are pressing into the screen, but the buttons resting ont he screen and gaps being left were the chrome is. In other words the buttons are raised higher than the chrome accents on mine and when I open the flip the markings are left by the edges of the buttons and not by the chrome accents. Just noticed and wanted to clarify.
    05-15-09 04:41 PM
    I havent had this problem.
    05-15-09 05:08 PM
    The best screen protection is called Invisible Shield from ZAGG, they're having a %50 off right now for memorial day.
    05-23-09 05:51 PM
    I'm bringing this post back from the dead to see if anyone else has had this problem...I found scratches on my LCD and returned the phone to Rogers within a month of buying it. Now the new phone they sent out has the same prob!!!
    Anyone else with this happening?? I did apply the Invisible Shield but I still hate that it's defective ~ anyway, half ranting, half looking for a solution....
    07-12-09 04:08 AM
    yeah, it's a design flaw. They didn't elevate that plastic thinger enough to hold the screen in place. When it's in ur pocket, it doesn't take much force to get the screen to make contact with your keys... i bought mine aftermarket so pop goes the weasel.
    07-12-09 11:06 AM
    Total design flaw... I have that problem as well. Whoever doesn't, I would be really shocked.... It is very faint, but very noticeable.

I'm now using protective film, but it was too late as I also have that kind of half oval of scratches around where the screen meets the trackball area....even on the film now.

Didn't realize I could maybe get a replacement because of it.... I'll give it a shot. Then I'll put the protective film on it right away.
    Last edited by Hoggles; 07-12-09 at 01:59 PM.
    07-12-09 01:53 PM
    I have this exact same issue and it was driving me nuts! Couldn't figure out what was causing it....glad you guys posted this. I called T-mobile, they told me I had to call RIM...so I did and RIM told me I had to call T-mobile it was there issue. So after being on the phone for about 2 hours total I was told they can't replace the phone (I've had it for 31 days...1 day over the 30 day period!). I was about to cancel my account then they offered to let me get another phone with the new customer discount price. I can't imagine that if I got another 8220 that I wouldn't have the same issue so I went with the 8900 instead. Now hopefully I can sell my 8220 for enough to cover the cost of the 8900 and I'll be all set!

I really liked the flip except for this issue. I'm anal about keeping my stuff nice...bought a case and screen protector for the outside of the phone, didn't imagine I would have an issue with this on the inside screen. Maybe if they can fix this I'll go back to the flip phone....hope so because I like the flip!
    07-13-09 02:55 PM
    I have this exact same issue and it was driving me nuts! Couldn't figure out what was causing it....glad you guys posted this. I called T-mobile, they told me I had to call RIM...so I did and RIM told me I had to call T-mobile it was there issue. So after being on the phone for about 2 hours total I was told they can't replace the phone (I've had it for 31 days...1 day over the 30 day period!). I was about to cancel my account then they offered to let me get another phone with the new customer discount price. I can't imagine that if I got another 8220 that I wouldn't have the same issue so I went with the 8900 instead. Now hopefully I can sell my 8220 for enough to cover the cost of the 8900 and I'll be all set!

I really liked the flip except for this issue. I'm anal about keeping my stuff nice...bought a case and screen protector for the outside of the phone, didn't imagine I would have an issue with this on the inside screen. Maybe if they can fix this I'll go back to the flip phone....hope so because I like the flip!
    Too bad you had to say goodbye to the Flip, but I do understand where you're coming from. It bums me out as well. I've also noticed one big reason why the Flips are scratching the inside LCD....it's the wiggle (side to side) that all flip style phones have (on the screen half of the device). The 82xx seem to have quite a bit of wiggle, and when it's in your pocket or getting moved around...if there is any grit in there at all...it's going to scratch it.

The four buttons by the trackball are also starting to get some very faint scratches as well.

Really, for me, it's the only downside to having a flip style device....this is bound to happen after a few months of use. Micro grit gets in there, no matter how hard you try to keep it protected.
    07-13-09 06:19 PM
    It's too bad that this is happening to others too - I love this phone and the scratches are my only complaint. Hopefully RIM will address this and correct the issue...
    07-14-09 03:18 AM
    yeah i had the same thing happen to my 8220.... right before they let me switch phones to the 8900... they sent me another refurb to keep and i think the problem was fixed because when closed it did not wiggle at all anymore cuz ive had 4 phones and all of them wiggled a little bit but this one had something put into the hinge to make it not wiggle so i think they fixed the problem...
    07-14-09 10:15 AM
    Good point...I noticed that I was getting marks on the bottom of the screen in the silver TMobile area, and never knew where they were coming from. Now I know. My phone did wiggle a fair amount. I did a warranty swap yesterday because my bluetooth died and my new one doesn't wiggle. Maybe this is the one occassion where refurbished is better!
    07-15-09 09:20 AM
    Good point...I noticed that I was getting marks on the bottom of the screen in the silver TMobile area, and never knew where they were coming from. Now I know. My phone did wiggle a fair amount. I did a warranty swap yesterday because my bluetooth died and my new one doesn't wiggle. Maybe this is the one occassion where refurbished is better!
    Very very interesting.... I'll have to call T-Mo and see if this is something where I could get a replacement that does not wiggle side to side.
    07-15-09 05:33 PM
    So I'm not the only one? I got those scratches about 2 weeks into use. My warrenty doesn't cover physical damage though, all of you who got replacments are lucky because these scratches, even though not bothersome as far as "view" goes, are always in the back of my mind and with my bb less than a month old it really really bugs me to know I'll have it for 3 years. Annoying and un-warrented.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 08:41 AM
    I just returned mine at Costco for a replacement, my screen got scratched by me wiping the screen. Tried to polish it out and made it even worse the good news is Costco covers your phone for three months as long as you bring it in working with no water damage they will replace the phone.

I decided to just run the .180 OS that came installed I got the latest Pandora and played it all night last night without a single drop. The phone was turned on yesterday and has stayed on without any reboots or battery pulls, so far so good. Thinking about putting packing tape on the LCD what do you think?
    07-16-09 10:28 AM
    I wonder if I should call my carrier since my phone is still under a month old. I'm kinda scared though MTS is no Verizon. I guess I could say it's a manufacturer defect since the phone should not be scratching itself.
    Edit: about the tape, when you want to remove it it might leave a permanent residue..

07-16-09 10:45 AM
    Total design flaw... I have that problem as well. Whoever doesn't, I would be really shocked.... It is very faint, but very noticeable.

I'm now using protective film, but it was too late as I also have that kind of half oval of scratches around where the screen meets the trackball area....even on the film now.

Didn't realize I could maybe get a replacement because of it.... I'll give it a shot. Then I'll put the protective film on it right away.
    Believe it or not I never had that or any the above mentioned marks. I just looked my Flip(actually I did it after each post) there is nothing on my screen. I do have an Invisible Shield tho from maybe after a week using it.
    07-16-09 11:14 PM
    I wonder if I should call my carrier since my phone is still under a month old. I'm kinda scared though MTS is no Verizon. I guess I could say it's a manufacturer defect since the phone should not be scratching itself.
    Edit: about the tape, when you want to remove it it might leave a permanent residue..

When I phoned Rogers, the guy had never heard of this problem so I told him outright that it was a manufacturers defect and that there were numerous posts on various forums that said to call and get it replaced by the provider. I used to live in MB and I found that MTS was pretty reasonable to deal with when you knew what you wanted to have happen....

I also really stressed the short period of time that I had the phone and the fact that I was locked in to a 3 yr contract with them. I'm sure you'll get a replacement phone out of it. My replacement, unfortunately, has the same defect and this time Rogers has recommended I contact RIM directly...hope you have better luck!

jen
    07-17-09 01:45 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD