i was a pearl user from verizon but the keys are so hard to use--i amm ok with the suretype BUT the actual devise was stiff and gave me thumb cramps....so i switched to the curve last week and can't get used to it b/c it is so BIG for me and feels like i'm carrying around my desktop.

i need a small phone for my back pocket but i need EMAIL more than the phone aspect.

IS the flip really a PHONE first and then, an email/text devise.....meaning, i email/text maybe 90% of the time when using a BB and talk very very rarely.

will i be annoyed with the FLIPPING thing???

(am i making sense?)...thanks, jane
    06-01-09 03:29 PM
    I like it..... took some getting used to but i'm about there. i email/txt/facebook quite a bit. BUT, if the main function/intended use of your "phone" is to txt/email, i don't know that a Pearl would be my first recommendation. try a G1 or sidekick imho.
    06-01-09 03:48 PM
    Um no a BB serves the purpose of email/texting. And why would you get annoyed with the flipping? Its a flip phone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 03:59 PM
    Unless you send an email every (2) two minutes, close and open the phone then no, you will not be annoyed.

I think the Flip is the better phone because it has better memory.

Before I go there, why not just get the Storm. Let me guess, too big... right?

OK, off topic,

Pearl, 68mb memory
    Curve, 96mb memory
    Flip, 128mb memory

Out of these three phones, yes, the curve is the biggest.

But, I like the ability of the Flip to close, no full keyboard, but the pad is bigger than the Pearl.

The screen is bigger than the Pearl too.

So, on your question, to flip or not to flip... I say, Flip!

msblueline
    06-01-09 06:12 PM
    does the flip make a sound when you open it up? the old flip phones used to make a kind of ringing sound....i would open it and close it a lot--i have to go with verizon b/c it is for work and thats our carrier.

YES, the others are too big for me--but the verizon pearl has the worst keyboard--very hard to get the keys down and my fingers slide off them even when my nails are short. i can't stand it.
    06-02-09 12:12 PM
    The flip doesn't make noise when you open it or close it. I compared my Pearl with the 8220 at the T-Mobile store and they both have the same width but the keys on the flip are much wider.
    06-02-09 12:19 PM
    does the flip make a sound when you open it up? the old flip phones used to make a kind of ringing sound....i would open it and close it a lot--i have to go with verizon b/c it is for work and thats our carrier.

YES, the others are too big for me--but the verizon pearl has the worst keyboard--very hard to get the keys down and my fingers slide off them even when my nails are short. i can't stand it.
    no sound on the flip and if its texting and email go for flip you can have up to 10 accounts email and get all your text and mms needs covered
    06-02-09 12:19 PM
    I've got the 8130 now and really want the Flip for all the reasons mentioned above. The big question is...when will it be available on Verizon???
    06-02-09 12:22 PM
    thanks. i just need it for one email acct but like i said, i rarely use the phone aspect of a BB and i email/text daily and nightly--for work and personal--so it seems to be more of a phone than a BB but i kno wit is a BB--the flip part is really a phone feature...hard to explain--i have seen it and i know it iis easier to type on and i like the same size--although have to see if too thick...have to re-check.
    06-02-09 12:22 PM
    hi! they say JULY verizon will have it but you know how that goes.
    06-02-09 12:23 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you...the Pearl is too hard to type on and the Curve feels like I'm carrying a big calculator in my pocket.

I'm a heavy e-mail/text user and I think the Flip's keyboard is going to be much easier to use. And the ability to preview messages without opening it will be a nice feature.

Tired of waiting!
    06-02-09 12:26 PM
    It's a little thicker but it's worth it! Your keypad is protected and you don't have to lock it and unlock it to prevent miss dials.
    06-02-09 12:31 PM
    How easy is it to preview messages on the external screen? If I have my SMS/MMS separate from my e-mail, can I still preview both on the external screen? Can you delete messages without opening up the Flip?
    06-02-09 12:35 PM
    It is fairly easy, to view messages.

This huge envelope, BBM logo, phone receiver or txt message shows up on the outer display screen.

There is also a counter at the bottonm of the screen to let you see how many missed messages, txt, BBM, and phone calls you have.

As far as scrolling through them, I don't know. I thought I scrolled through them yesterday, but when I tried today nothing... will have to play around with it to see if it is possible.

msblueline
    06-02-09 12:46 PM
    I chose the Flip over the regular Pearl because of the increased size and the easier-to-read matt lettering on the keyboard.
    And I chose the Flip over the 'regular' BB offerings because I wanted something easily pocketable (even into jeans, if so inclined), while the clamshell also protects both the screen and keys.

Insofar as you've used the Pearl in the past you're used to SureType (I'm still learning to 'love' that) and I could see where a 'real' QWERTY would be advantageous if you're determined to do serious emailing of the 'War and Peace' variety, but otherwise, it seems okay.
    06-02-09 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD