Like an ***** I forgot to take my Blackberry out of my pocket and ended up putting it in the washing machine. After a couple minutes I realized what I did and took it out. It has been a few days and the phone has completely dried out and turns on, but there is no sound that comes out. Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
    01-14-09 01:18 AM
    Sorry to hear that. I don't know if its too late, but search for the rice trick. Apparently, if you stick the blackberry in a container filled with raw rice, it'll soak the moisture. Search through the forums. Good luck!
    01-14-09 01:42 AM
    IMHO, you need it serviced by RIM. You are lucky the phone works in all ways except for sound. I've seen posts where they got the BB wet (not washed) and ended up with a brick.
    01-14-09 01:43 AM
    If after a few days of drying out it is not working properly, I am
    inclined to think it never will. A replacement may very well be in
    your future.
    01-14-09 02:05 AM
    sorry to hear that, that does suck. like AG and Pak said sounds like you need to get a new one
    01-14-09 02:21 AM
    Take the battery out and do the rice thing. It takes a day or so in the rice but it almost always works. My brother in law works for Motorola and said that works everytime.
    01-14-09 02:29 AM
    The Rice Thing Sounds Plausible
    01-14-09 10:54 AM
    The rice thing will make no difference whatsoever as the OP has
    indicated the device is completely dry. There is nothing for the
    rice to absorb.

And if it isn't completely dry, all the usage while it wasn't has
    all but surely fried the internal circuitry.
    01-14-09 11:36 AM
    Ohhhhhhhh Lol!!!
    01-14-09 12:57 PM
    Last month my phone got splashed on the beach and it would turn on and even receive calls but none of the buttons would work. Tried the rice trick to no avail. The took it to a local shop and they suggested a "chemical bath". For $20 I let them try but when I picked it up it was totally fried. The guy felt for me and charged me $10. Ibought a new Curve but the next day I turned on my old Pearl and it worked perfectly except the microphone is messed up. I can talk normally but the person on the other end says it sounds like a whisper. That's a long way of saying that you may want to ask around about this "chemical bath". I don't know what it is but it did bring my phone back from the dead. I think I'm gonna have a new mic put in it and keep it in case I ever need a spare.
    Good Luck!
    TP

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 01:28 PM
    Poor BBs. Always taking a dip in the drink. So sad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 02:07 PM
    I Kno Rite Thats Why You Should Always Check Ur Pockets Lol
    01-14-09 03:18 PM
    I immediately put it in a bag of raw rice when it happened and let it sit in it for 3 days. Then took it out to see if it would work and it did, except that it wouldn't ring only vibrate.

Im pretty lucky that it even did that, but was just wondering if there was any trick to the trade to get the speaker working again.

AT&T told me my insurance would cover it so I guess I am just going to file a claim with them.

Thanks for all the advice though.
    01-14-09 09:27 PM
    O Well Yea Get That Phone Boy Lol
    01-15-09 11:05 AM
    I have a BB Pearl 8110 on the way.

Nice little upgrade from my 8100.

Cell phone insurance for the win!

lol
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-17-09 02:27 AM
    Score Touchdown!!! Lmao I Kno Corny
    01-19-09 03:45 PM
    The Rice Thing Sounds Plausible
    Ohhhhhhhh Lol!!!
    I Kno Rite Thats Why You Should Always Check Ur Pockets Lol
    O Well Yea Get That Phone Boy Lol
    Score Touchdown!!! Lmao I Kno Corny

Helpful ???
    01-21-09 11:46 PM
    Helpful ???
    No, not really....

Not at all actually.
    01-21-09 11:49 PM
    okay i dont think its as bad as me jumping into the pool with my wallet and my iphone right before i changed back to my beautiful BB so i know how you feel!!!!!!!!!!
    01-21-09 11:53 PM
    If it's still within lets say 48 hours of u washing it, there is still time to save it. Before the rust starts to settle in the mother board. Instead of taking it to a cell phone shop to get repaired goto Lowes or home depot and buy your self a can of Denatured Alcohol. take a cup and pour some in there stick the phone in there with out the battery of course. Let it sit for lets say 5 mins take it out and the denatured alcohol should. Let me repeat this. Should dry it out completely for u.
    01-25-09 04:41 PM
    Same thing happened to me about two months ago. I hadn't discovered this site and kept trying to turn my curve on. It took about one day for it to be operational and it was sluggish for a few days. Today it's working like new except for one spot on the display that's damaged.

Does anyone know if I should expect the BB to have a shorter life span because of this even if it's operating fine now?
    02-25-09 09:30 PM
    happened to my sis's old phone--she just used her bluetooth headset when she needed to talk. worked well, no extra cost!
    03-17-09 09:07 AM
    I washed my boyfriends pearl, went thru the whole wash cycle, and sat in the washer all night long till he went looking for it before work in the morning. I turned it on just for the heck of it about a month ago and it works perfect. Granted it sat for like 6 months, we got a new phone thinking it was totally dead but now it's fine.
    03-17-09 10:43 PM
    All BBs should be 100% waterproof.
    03-18-09 06:24 PM
    Pink i would say yes you should expect it to have a shorter life. I have had friends that have dropped their berries in some kind of water and once dried out worked fine for about 4-7 months but then just completely died. Granted maybe yours will last longer but usually the water damage takes its toll in the long run. Good friend of mine got thrown in the pool last summer and he was able to fully dry it off and it worked pretty well for months but then like i said one day he did a battery pull and his unit just didnt turn on anymore.
    03-18-09 06:28 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD