I just placed an order from cnn.cn for a new trackball for my 8130. The chrome has started to chip off mine and the trackball is no longer as white as it once was.

My question is...it says, "retaining clip for the 81xx is not included." Do I need a new one of those also?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have reviewed the thread on replacing the trackball, but I have to admit that I'm still kind of scared. Any extra bits of advice are appreciated.
    12-28-08 11:25 AM
    12-28-08 11:29 AM
    The 8100 has a metal clip you need to keep to use with the new one. You have an 8130 so it's irrelevant. It's easy and makes a big difference. FYI, Cnn is good but slow shipping.
    12-28-08 11:29 AM
    taking your phone apart to change your trackball setup will void your warranty though right?
    12-28-08 11:30 AM
    taking your phone apart to change your trackball setup will void your warranty though right?
    Not if you don't break anything and put it all back together the same way. But yes any time you take your phone apart you void the warranty.
    12-28-08 01:47 PM
    Changing the track ball and chrome ring is the simplest thing to do on a Pearl. At $8 a pop for both, I ordered 4 of them and when my pearl looks dirty, I just change it out. ($8 from Fonlogix LLC)
    12-28-08 02:41 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll let you know how it goes once my new one arrives.
    12-29-08 08:42 AM
    Well, I just got my new trackball in the mail today. I popped the old one out and popped the new very clean one in! It was soooo easy!

If anyone who has an 8130 has been thinking about replacing their trackball and is afraid, don't be. It really was a simple thing.

I'm going to order a couple more just to have on hand in case this one gets dirty or the chrome ring starts to chip again.
    01-09-09 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD