hi, i purchased my 8130 bb in april and im not too "up" on it or know how to use it as much as you guys do. the only thing i really use it for is msn and facebook and texting and taking pics and email. but i know nothing about how to update it, or clear its memory. i came on here to see if i could find a solution to why my msn keeps kicking me off and why my texts dont get received and found some instructions on how to delete some stuff. but im not sure how to find how much memory is on your phone now that i cleared stuff up to make it under 12. i did backup all my files and was reading if i installed the new 4.5 (which i dont even know what that is lol) that it wil help but im scared. like does that erase everything on your phone like contacts and pics and all that. sorry for all the questions but i have no idea how to use this phone its so complex lol please help thanks.
    11-05-08 12:14 AM
    Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.

Proper Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure
    11-05-08 12:22 AM
    but how do i check what my device memory is at?
    11-05-08 12:32 AM
    Options > Status. Look at your File Free.
    11-05-08 12:54 AM
    ok i got that and it says 8530932 bytes
    11-06-08 10:38 PM
    Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. The following procedure, originally written by Forums Moderator Reed McLay will guide you:

How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    11-06-08 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD