Hey

This is my first blackberry, I admit I only bought it cause I thought it was pretty...pretty useless.
    I have read a ton of threads on the pearl in hopes of learning something that maybe I am missing.
    This is what I think I CANNOT for the life of me hear it ring, it is and extra $25 or more a month for email, web, if I want to even take video I need to but a card (didnt have to with my plain old cell) had TV and satellite radio with my last plain old cell, not with this one. Has yahoo and google messenger..ok who uses that??? everyone uses msn...had that hooked into my old cell. Oh and did I mention I CANNOT hear it ring!
    SOOOOO
    I read there is satellite radio and tv available......WHERE on the phone?
    Why is the ring so ******** faint?
    Is there something I am missing which would make me love the phone??
    The pearl is backordered 4 weeks from Telus its so popular and I am wondering if everyone like the look of it like me or because Facebook is preloaded and that's whats selling it.
    Help me like this phone!!!!

Dawn
    12-29-07 02:16 AM
    This is my first blackberry, I admit I only bought it cause I thought it was pretty...pretty useless. I have read a ton of threads on the pearl in hopes of learning something that maybe I am missing.
    I'm on my first BB, too. I consider it far from useless. What kind of phone did you have before? What did it do the BB doesn't/can't? Oh wait, I see. You want TV/Radio

I CANNOT for the life of me hear it ring,
    What setting do you have your ringtones on? What ringtone are you using?

it is an extra $25 or more a month for email, web, if I want to even take video I need to but a card (didnt have to with my plain old cell)
    This is normal for any smartphone to have an extra charge. They do WAY more than other phones... And MicroSD cards are VERY inexpensive, and the price is coming down more and more every month.

had TV and satellite radio with my last plain old cell, not with this one.
    *shrugs* Honestly no clue about this. I'm not interested in watching lots of TV on such a small screen. I do occasionally load shows I like & have missed onto my BB to watch I do have music loaded, but it's stuff I ripped from CD. I'm sure somebody will chime in that has experience in that. You could check out the movies forum, however.

Has yahoo and google messenger..ok who uses that???
    I do?

everyone uses msn...had that hooked into my old cell.
    No, everybody doesn't use MSN. I don't.

I read there is satellite radio and tv available......WHERE on the phone?
    You'll have to browse a bit. A Google search will turn up suggestions . . . I'm sorry, but I can't post links to what I found (I'm new myself)

Why is the ring so ******** faint?
    Again, what are your current settings?

Is there something I am missing which would make me love the phone??
    Every phone is not for every person. Nobody can make it be useful for you. Either it is or it isn't.

The pearl is backordered 4 weeks from Telus its so popular and I am wondering if everyone like the look of it like me or because Facebook is preloaded and that's whats selling it.
    Facebook? Heh. No thanks. I just like it because of it's small form factor (previous Treo user), and it's just so much more *together* than any other smartphone I've ever used.

Maybe it's not the phone for you, hon. Seriously. Something else may be a better 'fit

Good luck!
    12-29-07 11:38 AM
    Every phone is not for every person. Nobody can make it be useful for you. Either it is or it isn't.
    Bingo!!... and it sure sounds like this just isn't the device for dawn.
    12-29-07 12:03 PM
    Sounds like a little research before the purchase wouldve helped you avoid this stress completely - mixed in with reading the user guide of course.
    12-29-07 12:36 PM
    Ok, for TV, videos4blackberry.info | We Love UFC Don't We?.. | Episode, Full, Download, Blackberry, State. He posts the most popular shows every night.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-07 12:37 PM
    Blackberries are not for everyone. Prime example in this case.
    12-29-07 12:41 PM
    I too came from a Treo - I will actually miss it a bit since there are not as many software options out there and for those that are they seem to be pretty expensive. Namely a drug reference book that is not HUGE as far as memory or price...
    However - I went through 2 of the Treo 700p and was on my 3rd 755 when I called Sprint and said I wanted to change.
    So there are different options for what you want or need it to do - I am now at the conclusion that none of them are the perfect smartphone. I'm not sure that even exists at this point.
    12-29-07 01:02 PM
    I too came from a Treo - I will actually miss it a bit since there are not as many software options out there and for those that are they seem to be pretty expensive. Namely a drug reference book that is not HUGE as far as memory or price..

I have Mobipocket Reader. It's free and e-books are pretty cheap now days. I'm sure there is a drug reference book out there that you can put on your berry.

Bob
    12-29-07 02:50 PM
    I don't think anyone here can help you like it. You might like it best if you return it, do some (more?) research, and then get the device that WILL work for you.
    12-29-07 02:56 PM
    Hmm I love the pearl..... works great and I have had many devices from verizon....
    12-29-07 03:14 PM
    Yeah definatly should have researched. I'm 15 and I use my blackberry for everything. Love using tasks instead of a standard agenda at school. Love haveing web and email with me wherever I go. This phone obviously isn't for you and you should have researched before you just went out and bought the phone.

12-29-07 04:09 PM
    Thanks everyone for yourfeedback, I know I should have looked into it more. I think the thing that gets me the most is I can't hear it ring. It seems so silly to have the ringers so low in yet as an mp3 the sound is great and LOUD too.
    Thanks again
    12-29-07 08:17 PM
    Wow, excellent replies. You should all be commended as this post was prime for an all out "flame on" roasting. Very impressive IMHO.

Regards,

-E
    12-29-07 08:23 PM
    Well, you already have the BB. So, take some time to research this site or call a customer rep and get answers. Now you need to decide if you're going to make it work. Good Luck

12-29-07 08:40 PM
    Thanks everyone for yourfeedback, I know I should have looked into it more. I think the thing that gets me the most is I can't hear it ring. It seems so silly to have the ringers so low in yet as an mp3 the sound is great and LOUD too.
    Thanks again
    Hey, Dawn.

Me again.

I'm thinking you don't have your ringtone volume very high.

This may offer you another solution.
    12-29-07 10:26 PM
    here we go.

i thought the same exact thing when i got the phone... 250$ for a phone that has the best sounding stereo speakers ive heard in mp3 mode but not in ringer mode...

well im using my mp3s as ringers and i found that in profiles, go to "advanced..." on the bottom below off and you get a bevy of options to customize every ringer for every notification. for instance, choose to customize the loud profile, and set the volume to "high," not low, normal or escalating

this simple option has changed my mind about the ringer despite the mp3 mode being very loud
    12-29-07 11:39 PM
    I found one of the loudest rings is the classic phone. Plus it reminds me of when I was a kid and that was the only ring you heard from a land line (no cell phones back then).

Bob
    12-30-07 12:56 AM
    I have had two smart phones and I agree that you need ot find teh one you want. I am a big text person, and back in teh day I bought a Qeracera(Iknow I spelled that wrong) smart phone the Thing was a brick, it was a Palm Pilot with a built in 14.4 modem and the ability to make calls, Anyway , it did not have SMS, I fought with Verizion for months, drove miles to different corp, stores that promised they would update the firm and give me teh SMS, Finally I just started emailing everyone, instead. I was very mad at teh time, but after aboiut a week having a phone, that could connect to teh interent for just the cost of airtime minutes, I started to like it more, then I started loading Ebooks in it, happier still, then I got used to the syncing and the software and I was like wow this is great. THen it broke I got a regular phone and a Palm Pilot, So i know that their is a difference but i think if you just sit down for a whole day draw up a plan of thigns to try with phone, I think you will love it .
    12-30-07 01:07 AM
    azarraga053

I have played with the ringers, and just now I did all the steps you said, but where you said at the bottom below off there is a bevy of options to customize......I don't seem to have that I have "Use Active Profile Except for: () Important calls."
    I can either check that box or not. Thats all I have underneath off.
    12-30-07 01:29 AM
    Do yourself a favour and go to Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ
    12-30-07 09:08 AM
    As for ringer volume I used Audacity to clip an mp3 and "boost" the volume a little. Pick a song that is good and loud to begin with...now I can hear it.
    12-30-07 10:04 AM
    azarraga053

I have played with the ringers, and just now I did all the steps you said, but where you said at the bottom below off there is a bevy of options to customize......I don't seem to have that I have "Use Active Profile Except for: () Important calls."
    above that you have each profile named - press on of those and you can edit each one to your liking.

again steps -
    -example change your profile to loud
    -go back to the profile button and scroll down to "advanced..."
    -click the profile that you want to edit (loud... it is the active one, if you choose something else, it will only turn that profile on)
    -in loud, go to "phone"
    -edit "out of holster" to tone, volume high (not escalating)

should work, and you can edit this for all notifications
    12-30-07 12:43 PM
    azarraga053

above that you have each profile named - press on of those and you can edit each one to your liking.

again steps -
    -example change your profile to loud
    -go back to the profile button and scroll down to "advanced..."
    -click the profile that you want to edit (loud... it is the active one, if you choose something else, it will only turn that profile on)
    -in loud, go to "phone"
    -edit "out of holster" to tone, volume high (not escalating)

should work, and you can edit this for all notifications

hope this helps, just play around with it more and you WILL love it

was a little hesitant at first but this is rocks
    12-30-07 12:45 PM
    Don't know if this will help with the 8130 but it helped me on my 8830. I tried boosting MP3s using an external editor. I certainly set my profile settings to "loud" but had mixed results.

I took my ringtone, ran it through my external editor (I use Audacity) made it nice and loud and saved it as a WAV file instead of an MP3. It was MUCH louder on the BB. So loud that I had to turn it down.

Of course, WAV files are huge and you should have a storage card (you should, anyway) to put your ringtones on or you'll zap what little memory you have on the phone.

This solution worked for many 8830 owners but not all. Worth a try on the 8130 (couldn't hurt) since a low ringer is a huge annoyance.
    12-31-07 03:43 PM
    I really find boosting the mp3's on my 8130 gave them distortion when playing through the bb speakers. I have them set as straigt conversions (cut and saved as mp3's), and I can hear my ringer from my bedroom on LOUD profile. I did have to do as the instructions in this thread and tweak the profile a bit to my liking. Other than that, this is my first bb, or smartphone for that matter, and I can't believe that I've gone the past ten years using a regular cell phone.

This phone is amazing, and I really love it.
    01-01-08 10:49 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD