I bought my New blackberry pearl flip 8220 2 days back, it is from T-mobile and was unlocked when i purchased it.
    Though i live in India and I am using a Vodafone network on it.

I am having huge problem the fone displays INITIALIZATION FAILED and SOS, Emergency calls only many times.

I thought it was a SIM card problem and have got a new SIM card also.
    The frequency of the problem has reduced drastically, but the problem is still there.

I dont know what to do......
    12-11-08 07:13 AM
    Sounds like it's not unlocked!
    12-11-08 07:21 AM
    If that ws d case den it wudnt work at ol....
    Bt it is working....
    jst dat occasionally it shows SOS and emergency calls only...
    12-11-08 08:53 AM
    If that ws d case den it wudnt work at ol....
    Bt it is working....
    jst dat occasionally it shows SOS and emergency calls only...
    try inserting some thin plastic or something above the SIM in the slot so it presses down harder. i had this problem too and this seems to fix it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 12:18 AM
    thnx.... i have jst done that....
    till now its working fine....
    i'l write back if the problem occurs again....
    12-14-08 03:33 AM
    try inserting some thin plastic or something above the SIM in the slot so it presses down harder. i had this problem too and this seems to fix it.

Good tip. I have been doing this to SIM cards since the dawn of the mini-SIM. I have variously used bits of paper, folded paper, train tickets, bits of plastic, whatever works. You would have thought that in 2008 the problem would have gotten fixed though.
    12-14-08 03:46 AM
    It seems to be working for my problem too at the moment....
    Though i didnt expect a device like this to have this problem...
    12-14-08 06:36 AM
    I'm on my 3rd flip now in 2 weeks all having the sim card issue. The problem is the sim card reader. I've given up on returning the phone because every one I get has the same issue. I just wedged a small piece of folded paper behind where the contact on the sim card is to firm up the connection and it's working now.

Jim Balsillie should stop trying to buy a hockey team and focus on his business because RIM's outsourcing sucks!!!
    12-16-08 11:27 AM
    yep...
    this thing works....
    i had this problem for about a week since i bought my fone and I tried all sorts of things... got a new sim card too....
    bt putting some plastic or paper above the sim is working perfectly for me now...
    12-18-08 06:55 AM
    This is potentially a Sticky thread.
    I'm new owner of an 8220 as well and am having this same issue. My particular case varies slightly, but the general signs and symptoms are the same.

I was on with Tmo tech support earlier this afternoon, and we agreed that attempting a new sim card was the logical choice. Got that new lil baby and S.ame O.l S.*it... or SOS as it appears on our displays. lol.

So now i happen across this post, find a lil piece of thin packagin plastic, tucked in above the sim.. and WA- LA

So far so goood. We'll see how long this lasts, but i'm confident thus far, as the phone went straight to SOS after inserting the new sim and rebooting it 3 times. ... add plastic .. and boom she locked right down and been running great since.

I will definitely update this thread as time goes along.. but this most certainly should be knowledge that all 8220 owners need to read!

As always.. thanks Crackberry folks.

more tomorrow..
    01-20-09 08:57 PM
    I had this problem a while back (I got my phone the week it came out) I got a replacement phone and it works great!

01-20-09 10:22 PM
    For the record, I never had that problem with mine....
    01-20-09 11:02 PM
    yeah.... i think they ought to know...
    coz for about a month this solution has been very effective....
    01-21-09 01:11 PM
    Ok ..

So far so good. I have had ZERO issues with my phone since my posting last night.

I will continue to come back to this post as more time passes, but it surely seems like this does the trick.

Funny to think that with all the things we as humans can create, a small slice of plastic packaging fixes this issue.

Maybe RIM should include a piece of plastic in the box! lol
    01-21-09 03:08 PM
    LOL

But frankly speaking all the technological advancements that have taken place...
    I dint expect in my wildest dreams that this would be the solution.... I tried everything... got a new SIM card too.... In the end it was so lame...
    01-22-09 05:45 AM
    still not even the slightest of hiccup with my flip.

Also.. have noticed that since this fix, battery life has been much better.
    01-23-09 07:22 PM
    My wife has had this same issue since day one. She is on her second flip in two days :-( They have replaced the SIM card also.

Thanks to you guys and a little piece of plastic, her phone works great (knock on wood.)

Too bad the T-Mobile guys didn't know that trick.

Thanks again !!
    02-12-09 10:33 PM
    Had the same problem. Paper trick worked!!! Thanks everyone!
    05-15-09 01:19 PM
    Can someone post a picture of what everyone is talking about?

A picture is worth a 1000 words after all.
    08-31-09 05:58 PM
    I have some pics I just took but since I'm apparently a n00b I'll have to make 8 more random posts before I can post them...
    08-31-09 06:52 PM
    two more inane posts to go
    08-31-09 07:50 PM
    sorry to muck up this thread but...
    08-31-09 07:51 PM
    08-31-09 07:52 PM
    Awesome. Thanks!! Thats exactly what I did. Good to have a confirmation.
    But my phone is now stuck on "edge" instead of "EDGE".
    Any reason why that is? Even, what is the difference between the two?
    09-01-09 03:10 PM
    Well i tried folding up the piece of paper as tiny as I could and I tried to stick to freaking thing in between the freaking lose sim card to force contact and the plastic cover doesn't fit nor does the freaking piece of paper even work. I'm constantly pulling the god darn battery in and out and turning the god darn phone on and off and pulling the god darn sim card in and out and it's become so freaking annoying and redundant that there's not a long break from this stupid problem. I spoke with the stupid tech ant and he said oh well my girlfriend had the same issue and did the paper thing and it worked for her ever since well that's the worst freaking advice and help ever and no help from him. That's not a permanent solution the young chap. How much tinier can I fold a freaking piece of paper to fit into a tiny butted slot? Piece of cow crap design and phone.
    01-21-10 04:48 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD