You can use your 8130 as a wireless modem using the data plan you already have!
    This is for an Alltel 8130
    Step 1- Connect you 8130 to your laptop via USB cable and open desktop manager.
    Step 2- Go to Control Panel> Phone and Modem Options>Modems. There you should see a modem call "Standard Modem"
    Step 3 - To make sure this is your 8130 click on it and Modem Properties will open. Go to Diagnostics and click "Query Modem". In the text field scroll down and you should see the world "Research in Motion" or "BlackBerry" if you dont see these you are not connected to your 8130.
    Step 4 - Go to Connect To click "Set up a network connection". Click "set up a dial up connection">next>"Standard Modem"
    Step 5 - In the Dial Up Number field enter #777 and click connect

Thats all folks.
    04-28-09 09:33 AM
    Really is it that easy? I have alltel and was wanting to get their wireless internet card for my laptop but if I can use my berry that would save me 100.00 and the another 50.00 a month. I will have to give this a try. How quick is the connection? I am currently connected to 1xEV

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 10:11 AM
    Yeah its pretty simple. Its not as fast as broadband but its faster than regular dial up.

04-28-09 10:41 AM
    is this only free for alltell?
    04-28-09 10:47 AM
    And if you use it too much you will be charged for it. Read about the college student who generated a bill for $3850. Good luck and don't overuse it. People say they are cracking down on those who try getting it for free.

04-28-09 10:49 AM
    If you have truly unlimited data with no cap it will be free. Alltel has a truly unlimited data plan. You should call your carier to see if you have a data cap. The unlimited plan for Verizon has a 5GB cap.

04-28-09 11:30 AM
    Yeah but with Verizon taking over alltel kinda gonna loose the unlimited cap unless you renew your alltel contract for a couple yrs

04-28-09 11:36 AM
    This isn't free at bell when people come in and ask ... Called my help desk the tethering is seperate data and doesn't fall under your existing plan...

04-28-09 11:44 AM
    With alltel it is $.05/Kb if you get caught without the $30/mo tethering package to your existing data plan.
    04-28-09 02:59 PM
    one may only live above the system for so long before that particular boomerang comes back around and smacks him in the head. g'day.
    04-28-09 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD