Twice in the last 2 weeks I have gotten lost I am super bad with directions even with my odometer thingy telling me which direction I am headed. So how do I use my BB as a GPS? I know there was a free trial thing when I bought the phone but now I can't find it.

TIA
    04-09-08 09:26 PM
    There are several options. BB Maps are already on the phone. Google Maps, Nav4All, AmazeGPS and many others, all free.

TeleNav is the best, you get what you pay for with it.

The 8100 does not have a built in GPS receiver. It gets you to within about a mile by triangulation from the GSM antennas.

You will need to buy a bluetooth GPS receiver which will allow you to navigate point to point.

The big problem with using this combo is that it uses the data path to continually download maps and whatnot. If you do not have an unlimited data plan then you could soon run up a big bill.

I have a TomTom ONE and when I compare it with my 8100+bluetooth GPS, the TomTom wins hands down every time.

I am not knocking the 8100 but the TomTom is a dedicated piece of hardware and only does GPS.

Pete
    04-10-08 01:43 PM
    I have a TomTom ONE and when I compare it with my 8100+bluetooth GPS, the TomTom wins hands down every time.

I am not knocking the 8100 but the TomTom is a dedicated piece of hardware and only does GPS.
    Of course it does. The TomTom is dedicated to simply GPS while the phone isn't. You can't compare the two.

Great suggestions though. I would go with Google Maps.
    04-10-08 01:56 PM
    I have done this on my blackjack and it had worked really well. When I find the chance ill yet it on here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-08 02:03 PM
    Of course it does. The TomTom is dedicated to simply GPS while the phone isn't. You can't compare the two.
    What I was trying to clarify was this.

The TomTom is clearly a better GPS. So if you have a choice as to where you are going to put money, then there is a choice of buying a decent bluetooth GPS like the Holox 54 channel for about �35 + any data charges and get a so so two box GPS system that stops your phne working via a bluetooth headset vs. a dedicated GPS that costs around �100 and leaves your phone fully working.

I was not dissing the phone AT ALL.

It is really a question of which two boxes you want in your car and where you spend your money. The TomTom solution costs about �65 more but will yield superior results for obvious reasons.

Of course, you could buy a new vehicle that has GPS on the dashboard but that costs a bit mor still.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete6; 04-10-08 at 02:15 PM.
    04-10-08 02:10 PM
    I travel all over my state for work and I use Google Maps all the time to find where I'm going. We have a lot of small towns and it is still 100% accurate. While driving and using google maps, a blue triangle shows me exactly where my car is and what direction it is going. It is a wonderful app. Google maps is free to download and use as long as you have a data plan. It does not offer audio turn by turn, but does give the directions in written turn by turn format if you ask for directions.
    04-10-08 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD