I took some photos with my new pearl, want to put them on my pc, i have a sidekick III and several other windows mobile based phones and all you do is plutg the usb cable in and bam, you go to computer and click device and pictures are there - no software no bs its just easy. So I see computer doesnt recognize pearl, I donwload some rediclulous blotware trash from RIMs website, only 236mb for desktop manager 4.2 service pack 2 what a joke. As if thats not enough, you have to fill out a long form to get it, then the download is capped at 80kbps - auesome. It takes upwards of half an hour to install on my laptop and the best part - I still cant find a way to get my pics. There is a roxio media import "for blackberry" which doesnt detect the pearl.
    09-02-07 11:21 PM
    Works much better if you get an SD card and set up the camera to save the pics to the card. Then it's simple plug and play, no Desktop Manager required.
    09-02-07 11:30 PM
    Here, here, John is correct, spot on. Plus these days, you can get the cards pretty cheap, and with a couple of gigs...
    09-03-07 01:13 AM
    Further on this subject: transferring photos via bluetooth?

I have my 8100 paired with my laptop. The Blackberry Desktop Manager synchonises fine, using only the bluetooth connection.

When I look at a photograph, I have the option to 'Send Using Bluetooth'. But sending yields the message, 'Failed to Find Service'???

What is the problem?
    Last edited by carsten; 09-04-07 at 08:52 AM.
    09-04-07 08:44 AM
    Bluetooth is a great feature but why go through all the hassle? Just email it to yourself Log on and open attachment and save.
    09-04-07 02:30 PM
    Bluetooth is a great feature but why go through all the hassle? Just email it to yourself Log on and open attachment and save.
    Thanks. This is what I do currently. But I would prefer not to eat up my free monthly data transfer allowance.

Also I thought it should be easy - whenever my paired BB is near my computer, I should just be able to send to the computer via bluetooth?

Carsten
    09-04-07 10:54 PM
    Thanks. This is what I do currently. But I would prefer not to eat up my free monthly data transfer allowance.

Also I thought it should be easy - whenever my paired BB is near my computer, I should just be able to send to the computer via bluetooth?

Carsten
    Gotcha! Now I understand.

If your computer is bluetooth ready or even if it is not and you have a bluetooth adapter, you should have no problem sending or receiving files. Just make sure that your bluetooth adapter supports different profiles, since not all bluetooth ready devices or computer have all the profile features that will enable you to do what you want to do. Just like not all bluetooth supports A2DP or BPP.

So are you using a bluetooth adapter or something?
    09-04-07 11:27 PM
    Hi ,
    u can do the transfer via Data Cable if you want but you should install the Desktop Manager
    09-06-07 03:57 PM
    Gotcha! Now I understand.

If your computer is bluetooth ready or even if it is not and you have a bluetooth adapter, you should have no problem sending or receiving files. Just make sure that your bluetooth adapter supports different profiles, since not all bluetooth ready devices or computer have all the profile features that will enable you to do what you want to do. Just like not all bluetooth supports A2DP or BPP.

So are you using a bluetooth adapter or something?
    No - I am using the internal bluetooth card on a new (2 month old) Dell computer. No idea about A2DP or BPP. Like I said, it sync's effortlessy, and wirelessly, with my laptop's outlook.

But pics do not? I will keep on experimenting. Is there anyone else out there who uses bluetooth to transfer data to their desktop/laptop?
    09-07-07 03:42 AM
    What I was trying to say, not all bluetooth functions are the same. Just because you have a bluetooth enabled notebook or laptop, means you can pair it with another bluetooth device and expect it to work. Just like pairing with your BlackBerry with a bluetooth accessory, it usually comes with it's own driver you have to upload in order to make it work correctly. You can pair it but it doesn't mean it will work.

What you need to find out, are the profiles your notebook supports. There are different profiles and drivers for each supported function. That's the only way you can find out. BPP means, Basic Printing Profile. This profile helps you able to print wireless via Bluetooth. A2DP (Advance Audio Distribution Profile), works on supporting your A2DP enabled bluetooth headset such as the Motorola S9 to function to its full potential. Different drivers are needed to get your bluetooth set up to get what you want to do work properly.

Check your computer's User's Manual.
    09-07-07 10:18 AM
    What I was trying to say, not all bluetooth functions are the same. Just because you have a bluetooth enabled notebook or laptop, means you can pair it with another bluetooth device and expect it to work. Just like pairing with your BlackBerry with a bluetooth accessory, it usually comes with it's own driver you have to upload in order to make it work correctly. You can pair it but it doesn't mean it will work.

What you need to find out, are the profiles your notebook supports. There are different profiles and drivers for each supported function. That's the only way you can find out. BPP means, Basic Printing Profile. This profile helps you able to print wireless via Bluetooth. A2DP (Advance Audio Distribution Profile), works on supporting your A2DP enabled bluetooth headset such as the Motorola S9 to function to its full potential. Different drivers are needed to get your bluetooth set up to get what you want to do work properly.

Check your computer's User's Manual.
    I am further advanced than I was last week. Now I CAN transfer photos to the computer via bluetooth. One at a time though. I must right-click the bluetooth icon on the laptop, then select 'Receive File'. And then the laptop accepts the ONE (and only one) file I then send via bluetooth.

If I wish to send another file, I must repeat the process - which is a little exasperating. Better than hunting for the appropriate mini-USB cable though - so am much happier.

I just assumed I would be able to view a folder of what was stored on the BB, and download as much as I wished.
    09-11-07 08:04 AM
    I installed the Desktop manager and backed up everything, I have no removable memory or blue tooth, how do I get the pix unto my computer and then view them? BESIDES mailing them to myself. I can't even seem to do that correctly. Maybe some people just aren't meant for a BB?

07-21-08 11:44 PM
    i connect my blackberry on my computer via usb cabble and when i transfer images from my bb , my computer cant open , it says windows cant open rem files
    01-25-10 04:51 PM
    I took some photos with my new pearl, want to put them on my pc, i have a sidekick III and several other windows mobile based phones and all you do is plutg the usb cable in and bam, you go to computer and click device and pictures are there - no software no bs its just easy. So I see computer doesnt recognize pearl, I donwload some rediclulous blotware trash from RIMs website, only 236mb for desktop manager 4.2 service pack 2 what a joke. As if thats not enough, you have to fill out a long form to get it, then the download is capped at 80kbps - auesome. It takes upwards of half an hour to install on my laptop and the best part - I still cant find a way to get my pics. There is a roxio media import "for blackberry" which doesnt detect the pearl.
    I too have downloaded the same just now, n' the thing is that ,the Desktop manager ain't recognizin' my pearl at all! ((
    It says,"Before u begin',verify that ur current BB device is connected to ur computer"..even though i have connected it n' the plugged symbol comes next to the battery symbol on the BB screen..
    p.s I don't have the original data-transfer cord,hence usin' a motorola one..Has this got to do anythin' with the prob..??

Someone puhleeez help me!!It's drivin' me nutzz...
    02-02-10 01:44 AM
    I too have downloaded the same just now, n' the thing is that ,the Desktop manager ain't recognizin' my pearl at all! ((
    It says,"Before u begin',verify that ur current BB device is connected to ur computer"..even though i have connected it n' the plugged symbol comes next to the battery symbol on the BB screen..
    p.s I don't have the original data-transfer cord,hence usin' a motorola one..Has this got to do anythin' with the prob..??

Someone puhleeez help me!!It's drivin' me nutzz...
    On your Blackberry, open Options, then Media Card. Make sure that Mass Storage Mode Support is ON. Then, I have the next setting, Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected set to Prompt.

Try this, and then connect your phone to the computer with your USB cord, and see if you are connected. You will get a message on your phone screen, and also a pop-up message on your computer.
    02-02-10 06:56 PM
    yeah, i checked n' re-set it to PROMT(n' even tried with YES option),but still in vain..
    Tell am i missing something here...I mean,My Bro brought it to me from US(bought from an authorized store)...n' all he brought back home was the Mobile..ie.,without the cord,earphones at al.
    And i believe that the Mobile comes with a CD too...(which i dont have)
    If so,what was it's content n' where can i find it.
    Also,(pls bear me n' my doubts as i'm a rookie in this...)Is it necessary to install BlackBerry DEVICE Software on my PC along with the BlackBerry DESKTOP Software?? Tell me more

Thanks
    02-02-10 11:02 PM
    If you are not using the data cable for the 8100, that might be your problem.
    02-02-10 11:56 PM
    yeah, i checked n' re-set it to PROMT(n' even tried with YES option),but still in vain..
    Tell am i missing something here...I mean,My Bro brought it to me from US(bought from an authorized store)...n' all he brought back home was the Mobile..ie.,without the cord,earphones at al.
    And i believe that the Mobile comes with a CD too...(which i dont have)
    If so,what was it's content n' where can i find it.
    Also,(pls bear me n' my doubts as i'm a rookie in this...)Is it necessary to install BlackBerry DEVICE Software on my PC along with the BlackBerry DESKTOP Software?? Tell me more

Thanks
    You cannot update the phone's (device) software without a proper Blackberry data cable.
    The motorola cable you are using is recharging your phone but not allowing data to be transferred between your phone and your computer.
    02-03-10 12:01 AM
    Do you have Bluetooth on the PC? If you do, you can transfer the pictures via Bluetooth if you do not have the proper BlackBerry USB cable.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-03-10 12:46 AM
    just a hypathetical question (well its my issue so maybe not so hypathetical)

I was given an 8100 free. No media card, no sim. The phone was FULL of pics on the device memory.

I tried enabling mass storage mode but when plugged into my laptop, nothing detected (does mass storage mode only work with media card inserted in phone?)

I tried to explore the device to remove pics with data cable and bb softward .. no dice.

I synced 8100 to laptop with bluetooth, still no way to explore the device memory to mass delete files.

So, I had to go into the device memory on the phone, and click and delete each picture individually ... which sucked ... alot ... more then you could imagine ...

So, i pose a question, if you have a device with a crapload of junk on its internal memory and no cell service, HOW do you mass storage mode so you can mass delete or mass move onto the laptop?

Thanks!
    02-03-10 02:34 PM
    just a hypathetical question (well its my issue so maybe not so hypathetical)

I was given an 8100 free. No media card, no sim. The phone was FULL of pics on the device memory.

I tried enabling mass storage mode but when plugged into my laptop, nothing detected (does mass storage mode only work with media card inserted in phone?)

I tried to explore the device to remove pics with data cable and bb softward .. no dice.

I synced 8100 to laptop with bluetooth, still no way to explore the device memory to mass delete files.

So, I had to go into the device memory on the phone, and click and delete each picture individually ... which sucked ... alot ... more then you could imagine ...

So, i pose a question, if you have a device with a crapload of junk on its internal memory and no cell service, HOW do you mass storage mode so you can mass delete or mass move onto the laptop?

Thanks!
    I would imagine that you have other things on the device that you do not want either, since it is somebody else's stuff. You can go to Options>Security Options>Security Wipe>Emails, Contacts, etc. and User Installed Applications. Then enter "blackberry" and the device will be reset to factory settings and get rid of everything the previous owner put on it.
    02-03-10 03:37 PM
    You can't.

Period.

The internal memory is not directly accessible as a mass storage device. Only an installed media card is accessible as a mass storage device if you turn that option on in the phone's settings.

However, if you had the Desktop Manager (with the Roxio Media Manager option included) installed on your PC, then you could access the device memory and do a mass delete of such files. But, the DM program is the only way to access those files. The DM can be found in the software section of the Blackberry site.
    02-03-10 05:45 PM
    You can't.

Period.

The internal memory is not directly accessible as a mass storage device. Only an installed media card is accessible as a mass storage device if you turn that option on in the phone's settings.

However, if you had the Desktop Manager (with the Roxio Media Manager option included) installed on your PC, then you could access the device memory and do a mass delete of such files. But, the DM program is the only way to access those files. The DM can be found in the software section of the Blackberry site.

Are you sure about the second part? I took my media card out of my BB,
    and hooked up the USB to computer, but the DM did not recognize my BB,
    no prompt. As soon as I put the media card back, and reconnected using
    the USB cable, then the DM did recognize my BB.
    02-03-10 06:30 PM
    Are you sure about the second part? I took my media card out of my BB,
    and hooked up the USB to computer, but the DM did not recognize my BB,
    no prompt. As soon as I put the media card back, and reconnected using
    the USB cable, then the DM did recognize my BB.
    Well, I don't have a media card in my BB at all (never did), and DM sees it just fine. However, the USB drivers for the BB need to be installed - but that usually installs when you install the DM. At least I think it does.

I do have issues whenever I update the DM - the BB USB driver gets screwed up and a freshly updated DM won't see the BB anymore. I have to un-install the USB driver directly through the Windows Device Manager which will then re-install itself the next time I plug the BB in, and then the DM will see it. I'm not sure why it happens, because that doesn't happen on my computer at work.
    02-03-10 06:53 PM
    Thanks for breaking that down for me. Its the computer and desktop software,
    not the blackberry's handheld software. Very good explanation!
    02-04-10 12:34 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD