I heard that Opera Mini is a better way to browse the net on my 8120, so I just downloaded it.

I went to Operamini.com, downloaded it....got a note saying that it didn't recognize my device....bypassed that....chose the 'high' connection vs. the 'lo' connection (that might have been my problem right there)........rebooted at the prompt......

Went to the 'O' pera mini icon on my applicaitions browser and got : "The application Opera Mni has attempted to access a low-level network connection, would you allow this"....[YES]......blah blah [YES].......then.....it says 'installing'......(i'm waiting for the red line to finish...) ...then...

'Failed to connect to the internet'

so yeah, I'd like to know if and how I can unistall Opera Mini and try again.....maybe this time with the 'lo fi' version.

ps, I chose to not have Wifi as of right now since I'm new and just getting started.

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Aquamarine73; 05-06-08 at 12:40 AM.
    05-06-08 12:37 AM
    Options > Advanced Options > Applications > highlight over Opera mini then menu & delete
    05-06-08 12:43 AM
    Thanks. I was able to uninstall.

So I tried to re-install Opera mini for the second time,....this time the 4.1 Beta version and I went through all of the steps again and it still said "Failed to connect to the internet" ......

I'll keep trying
    05-06-08 01:01 AM
    I don't know if this would help. Try removing your battery for a few seconds before reinstalling again.

I just downloaded it from my BB tonight & no problems. Using it right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-08 01:16 AM
    Before you clicked yes on the install prompts did you redo the permissions? I usually allow all, and a prompt for resetting the security timer.

05-06-08 01:19 AM
    After my install is when I got the permissions prompt. I answered yes. I'm new also so I'm not really certain what to do with permissions.

On another note - I think BB's browser is better than Opera mini.

05-06-08 01:28 AM
    After my install is when I got the permissions prompt. I answered yes. I'm new also so I'm not really certain what to do with permissions.

On another note - I think BB's browser is better than Opera mini.

For what browser is better, it just depends on what site I'm viewing. Some sites I prefer OM and other I prefer BB browser.
    05-06-08 01:31 AM
    For what browser is better, it just depends on what site I'm viewing. Some sites I prefer OM and other I prefer BB browser.

That gives me a bit more insight.

I tried to install Opera Mini a 3rd time to no avail. I'll keep trying tomorrow out of sheer curiosity

I surf the net using EDGE. ......hm, I think I'll start a new thread discussing my expectations vs. the limitations of my week old phone. I still love it and have mastered the basics, but there is a small learning process.

Thanks again for the help! <3
    05-06-08 02:01 AM
    The launch permission is different from the d/l permissions. When you click the OTA d/l link, there is a do you want to download this app yes or no before the download starts, to the left of that is a little checkbox, to set the application permission. Click that box, then click yes to download, you will get another message saying the application is requesting permissions, would you like to review them? click yes, then go through all of the permissions..I change them all to allow, except reset security timer, I change that one to prompt... after all of this, hit the back button (to the right of the pearl) and you will get another prompt, asking if you want to save changes, click yes, then the d/l will start, when it's done, hit run, and the install should finish and opera should launch.
    For any sites that offer wap pages, i use the BB browser, for most all others I use opera.
    GL
    05-06-08 02:16 AM
    The launch permission is different from the d/l permissions. When you click the OTA d/l link, there is a do you want to download this app yes or no before the download starts, to the left of that is a little checkbox, to set the application permission. Click that box, then click yes to download, you will get another message saying the application is requesting permissions, would you like to review them? click yes, then go through all of the permissions..I change them all to allow, except reset security timer, I change that one to prompt... after all of this, hit the back button (to the right of the pearl) and you will get another prompt, asking if you want to save changes, click yes, then the d/l will start, when it's done, hit run, and the install should finish and opera should launch.
    For any sites that offer wap pages, i use the BB browser, for most all others I use opera.
    GL

This is almost the way I did it. Prior to d/l'g Opermini, I had d/l'd something else. So at that time I checked the box to set application permissions. When I d/l'd OM, that check box was still checked- I didnt have to do it again.

I tried this site (wap) using OM and the font was huge.
    05-06-08 08:20 AM
    That gives me a bit more insight.

I tried to install Opera Mini a 3rd time to no avail. I'll keep trying tomorrow out of sheer curiosity

I surf the net using EDGE. ......hm, I think I'll start a new thread discussing my expectations vs. the limitations of my week old phone. I still love it and have mastered the basics, but there is a small learning process.

Thanks again for the help! <3
    to make opera work you need to go to options/advanced optons/tcp settings / go to the apn type wap.voicestream.com and leave the username and password blank
    05-06-08 08:22 AM
    i've tried downloading opera and i have the same things happening. i tried changing the TCP to no avail. what am i doing wrong?
    05-20-08 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD