Hello guys, so call me a traitor, but I would really like to tether my Blackberry Pearl Flip so I can use the internet on my Android device. I do not have much experience with Blackberries, and my mom just gave me this one as a gift, but the web browsing and app experience is far better in Android. Do you guys know how i can tether my BB to my Android via wifi/bluetooth/USB? Any way would work.
    12-13-10 01:18 PM
    Can't be done currently.
    epct414 likes this.
    12-13-10 06:18 PM
    I was wondering why you would want to tether a blackberry phone to another phone, I've just never heard or read of anyone doing it. If the other phone is a GSM phone (uses a sim card), just remove the card and put it into the droid phone and the internet plan will still take you to where you want to go. If it is CDMA just call the carrier (Sprint, Verizon, etc) and give them the ESN and they can shut off the Blackberry and activate the Android for you. The only important thing is that your phone plan have internet service on it.

Anyway, I didn't see anything in a general search of this site that tethers the Blackberry to another phone. I saw several posts about tethering to a computer, but nothing to help your situation.

Remember that all carriers (except for Tmobile) now charge a fee for tethering your Blackberry and you should check with your mom before doing it (if it can be done) because there will be a surprise in the phone bill when the carrier detects it.

Good luck with your search and post back if you find out how to do it, I'm now curious how it would be done myself.
    12-13-10 06:25 PM
    Well actually it doesnt matter what my mom thinks, because i am the one paying the bills since i started working at age 16, even hers, many years ago.... lol. I go and come from Mexico to the US very often, family, work, etc. This blackberry is actually Mexican and I got it to replace the phone that I use when I go to Mexico, where my main phone, the Android, gives me insane data roaming charges. Tethering is actually no big deal to carriers overthere, especially for prepaid accounts. Some carriers even have it as an option, they give you technical support and all. To the ones that it does matter, they dont really check into it too much, especially for prepaid users, and even if they did, I don't have much to loose since i am not in contract.

Either way, yeah thats the case, I just want to use my android with the blackberry's data while i am overthere.
    12-13-10 07:00 PM
    Again, you cannot do that.
    12-13-10 07:19 PM
    Well actually it doesnt matter what my mom thinks, because i am the one paying the bills since i started working at age 16, even hers, many years ago.... lol. I go and come from Mexico to the US very often, family, work, etc. This blackberry is actually Mexican and I got it to replace the phone that I use when I go to Mexico, where my main phone, the Android, gives me insane data roaming charges. Tethering is actually no big deal to carriers overthere, especially for prepaid accounts. Some carriers even have it as an option, they give you technical support and all. To the ones that it does matter, they dont really check into it too much, especially for prepaid users, and even if they did, I don't have much to loose since i am not in contract.

Either way, yeah thats the case, I just want to use my android with the blackberry's data while i am overthere.
    Is the Android device GSM or CDMA?

If it is a GSM device, since AT&T is your carrier according to your profile, you can get the Android device unlocked. Then you would be able to use a prepaid data plan from a Mexican carrier, if any are available.

I would suggest inquiring about carriers in Mexico that offer prepaid Android data plans.
    epct414 likes this.
    12-13-10 09:08 PM
    Well actually I just put At&t because its partnered with Telcel, my mexican phone provider, should have just done the specify option, but my device is from Verizon..... so no, i cant just unlock the device, Iusacell would do it for me, but i basically need to flash it, meaning i would need to flash it back to verizon when i come back, and that would be too much of a hassle...... if i cant tether the flip, ill just have to get another device later on.... or get a better Blackberry, I am sure tghe bad experience is due to me having an old phone, sounds like OS 6 is very good though.... I always said that if blackberry didnt act soon, with android and ios around the corner, it would be left behind, and they definitely are working hard, i am liking that....
    12-13-10 11:39 PM
    If it was the other way around, you could run a BB off of a hotspot generated from your Android device, but the BB does not support ad hoc wireless connections, which is basically what the Android devices do when they generate their wifi hotspot.
    12-17-10 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD