hey i'm carla.
    i'm new both here and to blackberrys and was wondering if i could get some help.
    a couple of days ago i unwillingly went to trade in my old phone for a new one. nevertheless they offered me a blackberry, and i gladly accepted.
    my mother has a blackberry and i love it, its easy and does everything you need it to. mine couldn't be more different!
    1. email, in the manual it says you have the option to set up; bb internet service, bb enterprise server, add or create an email address.
    i wanted to use bb internet service, but on the blackberry its not an option. i wanted to create an email address but again not an option. the only option i have is the only one i don't want - enterprise!
    2. downloading, i tried to download facebook, it came up as error, i think i tried to get a game, same problem - something about internet explorer. if not that then i keep getting blank pages with the cursor moving up and down the sides. i got it thinking i could get msn, i tried it but no success. i managed to download Trutap (which i had on my old phone and was amazing) but it just doesn't work.
    3. i put in my old memory card, but it wont work until its formatted and i cant delete all the stuff cos i want it on this phone.
    4. i tried to send some things from other phones using bluetooth. but it repeatidly failed.
    5. my main problem, i connect the blackberry to my computer, my computer finds it, loses it, finds it, loses it, finds it loses it over and over. the blackberry also turns on and off and when i take it out it 'loads' for a few minutes. i don't know if its a faulty cable, blackberry or computer.
    any help at all would be forever appriciated
    thanks,
    carla
    04-01-08 06:40 AM
    Hey,

Im relatively new to all of this and am struggling! I have a few problems:

1) I bought a Blackberry Pearl 8110 from ebay. I did not realise that it was locked to Vodafone when i have an Orange monthly contract. I solved this problam by purchasing a code. It is now unlocked and I have the internet working. However, there was no internet browser on my applications so I downloaded Opera mini which works fine. But what I want to know is how to set up facebook for blackberry and google browser. Because when I go to install and download these programs it says my browser is not configured correctly.
    Ok, you need to send yourself the service book from the portal, if Orange have set this up correctly you should be able to login to BIS and resend.

2) I also want to set my email account up with my phone. But when i go to do the activation with Orange (my sim card network) it says its registered to another network (vodafone) so it will not let me do it?!? Is there a way around this?

Please if you know how to sort this please respond on here or email me. I dont have a BIS there is no BB browser shown at all on the applications. But i have access to the internet.

Thanks in advance

Drunny
    Everything to do with email accounts, you need to set them up on your BIS so ring Orange to provide link to the portal and set up there.
    Carla,

hey i'm carla.
    Welcome future crackberry addict. =)

i'm new both here and to blackberrys and was wondering if i could get some help.
    Most of us here are beyond help, but we can give it a shot.

a couple of days ago i unwillingly went to trade in my old phone for a new one. nevertheless they offered me a blackberry, and i gladly accepted.
    my mother has a blackberry and i love it, its easy and does everything you need it to. mine couldn't be more different!
    Don't you just hate it when your provider wants to force you to have a the very best in smartphones? <snicker>

1. email, in the manual it says you have the option to set up; bb internet service, bb enterprise server, add or create an email address.
    i wanted to use bb internet service, but on the blackberry its not an option. i wanted to create an email address but again not an option. the only option i have is the only one i don't want - enterprise!
    You'll need a BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) plan from your carrier to get BIS service. You'll then login to your BIS "account" with a web browser to setup & manage your BIS email. When you install your Desktop Manager, your providers software will take you there the first time.

2. downloading, i tried to download facebook, it came up as error, i think i tried to get a game, same problem - something about internet explorer. if not that then i keep getting blank pages with the cursor moving up and down the sides. i got it thinking i could get msn, i tried it but no success. i managed to download Trutap (which i had on my old phone and was amazing) but it just doesn't work.
    Well, we'd need you to be more specific to help here. Do you even have an Internet connect (ie. a data plan)? You must use the BB Browser (not Opera, Media Net, or the Wi-Fi browser to download OTA. If you are downloading on your computer and then installing via Desktop Manager, it sound like nothing works because you do not have a data plan to allow you to connect to the Internet.

3. i put in my old memory card, but it wont work until its formatted and i cant delete all the stuff cos i want it on this phone.
    Unless your old phone was a Blackberry, it is unlikely that anything installed to run on your previous phone will work with your Blackberry. Blackberries use their own custom API (applications programming interface), not just the standard Java ME stuff.

4. i tried to send some things from other phones using bluetooth. but it repeatidly failed.
    Tell us step-by-step what you did, and what happened. You need to setup Bluetooth on your phone (if it even has it), and then request the file on it, while sending it on the other.

5. my main problem, i connect the blackberry to my computer, my computer finds it, loses it, finds it, loses it, finds it loses it over and over. the blackberry also turns on and off and when i take it out it 'loads' for a few minutes. i don't know if its a faulty cable, blackberry or computer.
    any help at all would be forever appriciated
    thanks,
    When you install something new, it may take your Blackberry up to 20 minutes (yeap this long) to reboot the first time. Do not disconnect the USB cable to soon, then wait patiently for your berry to reboot.

You may need to re-install Desktop manager.

Good luck,

Patrick
    04-01-08 06:59 AM
    1. Do you have a data plan? You need it in order to go online and get your email.

2. Again, you need a data plan in order for your IMs to work and to be able to download programs.

3. What you can do is transfer all your stuff from the card to a pc. Then let the BB format it. Connect the card back to the pc then transfer the files to the appropriate folders created by the BB when it formatted it - photos to the images folder, music to the sounds folder, etc.

4. Did you pair the two devices first before you tried transferring? Bluetooth set to ON?

5. Make sure that MASS STORAGE MODE is enabled and MEDIA SUPPORT is ON. under OPTIONS - MEDIA CARD. If it is, try using a different cable.

Goodluck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-08 07:03 AM
    facebook will be part of the OS once you have data plan or can download at mobile,blackberry.com
    04-01-08 07:30 AM
    You'll need a BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) plan from your carrier to get BIS service. You'll then login to your BIS "account" with a web browser to setup & manage your BIS email. When you install your Desktop Manager, your providers software will take you there the first time.
    Patrick
    I can access the internet so i assume its a BIS plan...
    so do i set it up on the computer?

Well, we'd need you to be more specific to help here. Do you even have an Internet connect (ie. a data plan)? You must use the BB Browser (not Opera, Media Net, or the Wi-Fi browser to download OTA. If you are downloading on your computer and then installing via Desktop Manager, it sound like nothing works because you do not have a data plan to allow you to connect to the Internet.
    Patrick
    i have unlimited internet access, or at least i am paying for it.
    i am not doing anything via desktop manager because the computer only recognises the blackberry for a second at most.

Unless your old phone was a Blackberry, it is unlikely that anything installed to run on your previous phone will work with your Blackberry. Blackberries use their own custom API (applications programming interface), not just the standard Java ME stuff.
    Patrick
    I'm talking mp3 and images only. but i see your point, i just wish i still had my old phone to get the stuff off before formating it.

Tell us step-by-step what you did, and what happened. You need to setup Bluetooth on your phone (if it even has it), and then request the file on it, while sending it on the other.
    Patrick
    yes it has bluetooth, it was turned on, the devices were paired, it was doing the little search thing for the image i was sending from the other phone. the other phone was searching for devices, found the blackberry, "sending failed".

When you install something new, it may take your Blackberry up to 20 minutes (yeap this long) to reboot the first time. Do not disconnect the USB cable to soon, then wait patiently for your berry to reboot.

You may need to re-install Desktop manager.
    Patrick
    i haven't installed anything to the blackberry. i simply put the desktop manager on the computer, plugged the blackberry in and the computer starts getting a little crazy because it finds the blackberry and loses it. i left it like this for a few minutes until i gave up and disconnected it.

1. Do you have a data plan? You need it in order to go online and get your email.

2. Again, you need a data plan in order for your IMs to work and to be able to download programs.

3. What you can do is transfer all your stuff from the card to a pc. Then let the BB format it. Connect the card back to the pc then transfer the files to the appropriate folders created by the BB when it formatted it - photos to the images folder, music to the sounds folder, etc.

4. Did you pair the two devices first before you tried transferring? Bluetooth set to ON?

5. Make sure that MASS STORAGE MODE is enabled and MEDIA SUPPORT is ON. under OPTIONS - MEDIA CARD. If it is, try using a different cable.

Goodluck.

1, think so? i can access the internet easily
    2. it might have said something about active x and internet explorer- or maybe i am getting confused with my broken laptop. it had Blackberry written in big blue writing at the top, which if i click takes me to a blank page.
    3. thanks, i have just purchased a card reader so i will do that.
    4. paired and on. yep
    5. i'll try it
    04-01-08 07:49 AM
    i just re-installed the desktop manager, i tried using a different cable. it still keeps finding it and then losing it.
    the blackberry says "jvm error 547 flash write failed" now!
    what on earth do i do!
    04-01-08 08:36 AM
    Hi

When sending files by Bluetooth from another device the blackerry has to be set to 'receive via bluetooth' from the folder you want it to go into.

I haven't done if for a while so hopefully someone will post the instructions for you.

Welcome to CB!

04-01-08 08:39 AM
    Hi All,

Newbie to Blackberry and this forum.

Well, after much research and reading of this forum and others I decided to go and get the 8320 Curve (as opposed to the Wing).I just got it Sunday 30th March, registered it and applied for Blackberry Unlimited add-on Monday, set up my Yahoo! email.
    I have it set up on my wireless internet network. Sooo.. what do I need to get online?

Also, I tried to open the blackberry Device Manager and Desktop Manager software (v4.3) but it doesn't show up. Only and icon in my taskbar that doesn't seem to work. I tried to use my USB cable and the computer installs the device driver but when I open the Blackberry as a removeable disk, I can't put anything on it. I am running Vista Premium on a Toshiba Satellite P105-S9337 laptop. I have McAfee virus protection. Could that be the culprit but I can't get it to recognize the software and there doesn't seem to be any conficts with it.

Any and all HELP! is much appreciated!

Blackberry 8320 Curve Titanium V4.2.2.180
    T-Mobile
    FamilyTime Plus
    BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on
    Unlimited Messages for Families
    04-01-08 08:45 AM
    i just searched the forum for "jvm error 547" and all the posts seem to be saying that theres no hope.
    i have no idea why its doing this, all i did was try and connect the data cable.
    can anyone please help
    04-01-08 08:50 AM
    Welcome to CB Newbies We've got what you need, LOL
    04-01-08 08:57 AM
    Hello!

Glad to see that you're a happy user of trutap. If you are having difficulty with using the application, but downloaded it OK you may need to configure a different set of APN settings.

If you go to Options>Advanced options>TCP from the Blackberry menu, you can configure additional APN settings.

For Orange, these should be as follows

APN: orangeinternet
    Username: user
    Password: pass

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]
    04-02-08 03:43 AM
    Welcome to CB!!!
    04-02-08 09:19 AM
    Hey,

1) I bought a Blackberry Pearl 8110 from ebay. I did not realise that it was locked to Vodafone when i have an Orange monthly contract. I solved this problam by purchasing a code. It is now unlocked and I have the internet working. However, there was no internet browser on my applications so I downloaded Opera mini which works fine. But what I want to know is how to set up facebook for blackberry and google browser. Because when I go to install and download these programs it says my browser is not configured correctly.

2) I also want to set my email account up with my phone. But when i go to do the activation with Orange (my sim card network) it says its registered to another network (vodafone) so it will not let me do it?!? Is there a way around this?

Please if you know how to sort this please respond on here or email me. I dont have a BIS there is no BB browser shown at all on the applications. But i have access to the internet.

Thanks in advance

Drunny
    03-13-09 07:07 PM
    Hey,

Ok, you need to send yourself the service book from the portal, if Orange have set this up correctly you should be able to login to BIS and resend.

Thanks in advance

Drunny
    Everything to do with email accounts, you need to set them up on your BIS so ring Orange to provide link to the portal and set up there.
    03-14-09 01:24 AM