I have changed my Pearl for a Flip but can't get used to the new browser, I HATE IT! It won't allow me to do things I could on my old Pearl.
    I downloaded Opera, I can see it in 'Downloads' but can't get online with it. or see it as an optional browser. I have followed instuctions on BB site to change browser settings to Internet Browser but I don't have that option listed on the dropdown menu.
    Help
    12-21-08 12:13 PM
    You cannot change the default browser in the bb's. But in general, first u go through the built in browser to access:

http://mini.opera.com/ download, follow the instructions. Select "allow" for all the firewall questions

Then run Opera Mini in the downloads folder to install it. The install procedure will fail if you are not connected to the internet. If you receive a firewall error during this process, the program will not install. If errors occur, turn off your firewall: settings > options > security

Once done, launch Opera mini. In your settings, select "wifi" if you are using wifi, or leave unchecked to use EDGE.

When done, feel free to move the Opera Mini icon to the home screen. Otherwise, there is no way to change the default browser.
    12-21-08 12:28 PM
    Thanks Singularity 2006,
    I've downloaded Opera & can find it in Downloads, when I click on it it opens the homepage but won't connect to the internet. I am using a GPRs connection, I originally downloaded it from a Wi-Fi conection, does that make a difference? I have already 'allowed' everything for Opera.
    12-21-08 01:33 PM
    I have not tried GPRS on my phone because I don't want to get charged for the data. But it shouldn't matter which one you have setup. Try going to options > mobile network and select "carrier only"

If not, go back to a wifi only connection and do the install that way.
    12-22-08 01:35 AM
    I just got my Flip after having the Pearl for a couple years. I too hate the Browser in the Flip! Is there a way to download and use the Pearls browser instead?
    03-06-09 03:30 PM
    RenosPhyzzie - in opera, go to settings. scroll down to the end. wifi is probably checked. uncheck it. hit the blackberry button (the one with the dots) and save the changes. it should connect now.

mgallant - not that I know of. I personally recommend opera mini. some people like boltbrowser.com
    03-06-09 04:55 PM
    I think Opera Mini is a bit of a novelty at first... then the built in one usually grows on you.
    03-06-09 04:58 PM
    like a wart.
    03-06-09 05:12 PM
    I think Opera Mini is a bit of a novelty at first... then the built in one usually grows on you.

you either grow to love it ....or hate it... take your pick... i will stick to the 5th on my side :P i love my BB tho hehehehehe
    03-07-09 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD