I've pretty much tried all the different things listed on here as of now, and I still haven't had much luck. I'm not going to give up just yet, but has anyone had one with black screen and blinking red led that just never came back to life?

oh yeah...when i try to wipe and reload it using jlcmdr there is a port error when i go to restore to factory settings.
    Last edited by zeppgirl23; 05-17-09 at 03:39 PM. Reason: additional info
    05-17-09 03:07 PM
    With a black screen, it's impossible to have an idea what is wrong. And the port error could be several things too. Here's how to load an OS when your berry isn't recognized by apploader. Maybe this will help. If I knew what it last did, before it's current state, that might help.

View Document
    05-17-09 04:32 PM
    i wish i knew what it did last. when i got a new one, i let my brother use this one. i do remember i used to wipe memory feature on the security(?) options when i did give it to him. when he gave it back to me he said it had just stopped working. it's been sitting for a while, dormant...but the fact that it is still lighting up, well the LED is driving me crazy lol.
    05-17-09 04:52 PM
    oh and i still can't get the desktop software to recognize it.
    05-17-09 05:15 PM
    That's why I post the work around to not being recognized by the apploader. You pretty much just run it anyway, and it should work. As long as the port is working in some respect. Can you access the media card?
    05-17-09 05:27 PM
    there isn't a media card in it? would that help?
    even with the apploader i can't get past where it asks for connection it won't let me change anything, no option to bypass it either.
    05-17-09 05:31 PM
    ok media card didn't help. it didn't recognize when i plugged the usb in. is it possible that something is wrong with the actual part of the phone where the usb cable connects?
    05-17-09 05:47 PM
    That could be part of the problem, yes. Get a magnifying glass, and you should see 5 prongs. If you see 4 you can still survive, just delete the port for the bb, and when you reboot and plug it back in, your PC will automatically set it back up. If you see less than 4, your going to have to replace it to do anything. The ports are cheap, but unless your good with a soldering gun, or know someone who is, the cost just to see if your Pearl is recoverable is probably more than you should spend.
    05-17-09 06:27 PM
    it has 5. i updated the driver software for the usb but the only time i could even see it as an option in the device drivers was when i had my bold plugged in. i just tried to switch out the devices and plug in the pearl and it wouldn't read it.

should i still try deleting the port, or is it not even worth it?
    05-17-09 06:48 PM
    You can delete it and see if it recognizes it when you plug it back in. If it does, your at least getting somewhere. Chances are since it recognizes your Bold, it's not going to work, but no harm done.
    05-17-09 07:06 PM
    so let's say its the port itself...where might i find one of those?
    05-17-09 07:30 PM
    If you've got your pins, chances are it's not the port. You can get one at CrackBerry, cnn.cn and a host of other places. Like I said, unless you've got a good talent for soldering, best to leave it to the professionals. Any decent cellphone repair shop will have them. It will cost you about $40 for the job though.
    05-17-09 07:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD