Just got my first Blackberry, Pearl 8110 (OS is 4.3.0.93). I am just sort of playing with it/learning how to use it. Off the top of my head, these are my main questions:

1) What kinds of things can I do WITHOUT a data plan? I know I'm going to sound weird, but I don't want to use the email/message stuff yet (aside from normal texting). Any cool applications/features that don't involve the spendy data plan from AT&T?

2) GPS... I want to use it... I assume there's a monthly fee, plus data charges, according to AT&T.. any idea on how much the data charges would be?

3) I still haven't figured out how to call people quickly unless they're in my call log... other than that I have to navigate all around to my address book. I miss pressing the down key and my address book popping right up Any way to change one of the icons on my main screen (currently using the Zen Today theme, but the bottom button is Applications which I think is pointless, can I change that to address book)?

4) Texting... any quick way to start a new text aside from finding the last text with that person in my messages folder? I tried the comma key thing but it didn't work.

5) Themes... I don't mind the Zen Today theme, except I hate the color scheme (yellow?) with my current background. Anyway to change that kind of stuff without downloading a theme that might kill my BB?

Thanks so much.
    01-21-09 06:19 PM
    yes for txting you can use the q/w button to start a new txt on what ever person your txting
    01-21-09 06:23 PM
    sorry for that my firefox is being stupid

well for thems try going to themes4bb.com and finding your phone and then send the OTA link to your self and download them to your phone

and for your address book on your zen theme you can hit the apps button and the hit the menu button over address book and click move and move it to where ever you want
    01-21-09 06:26 PM
    oh and maybe download a new os i have 4.5.0.77 and much better the 4.3
    01-21-09 06:27 PM
    3. From the home screen you can either start typing the name or dialing the phone number. Also, you can move your icons around the screen so your address book will show up all the time. Just highlight the icon you want to move, press the BB button, and select move. Then move it where you want it.
    01-21-09 06:28 PM
    sorry for that my firefox is being stupid

well for thems try going to themes4bb.com and finding your phone and then send the OTA link to your self and download them to your phone

and for your address book on your zen theme you can hit the apps button and the hit the menu button over address book and click move and move it to where ever you want
    No data plan means no ota themes. You will have to find one with a zip file. And you will get raped using the gps without the data plan. There's not much you can do without the plan
    01-21-09 06:31 PM
    oh i didnt even think about that no data no ota
    01-21-09 06:33 PM
    I have tried moving my address book to #1 on the list, but it doesn't change the fact that on my main screen it is Messages, Calendar, Call Log, and Applications. Those are my four options as text lines (not icons).

How would I get the new OS?
    01-21-09 06:54 PM
    You should do some reading before you change the os. Start with the proper upgrade procedure in my signature. And go to options themes you can change it from there
    01-21-09 07:17 PM
    I have tried moving my address book to #1 on the list, but it doesn't change the fact that on my main screen it is Messages, Calendar, Call Log, and Applications. Those are my four options as text lines (not icons).

How would I get the new OS?
    Right, you are using a today theme. Don't think you can get the address book onto the main screen with a today theme.
    01-21-09 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD