My blackberry pearl quit working completely and i have never had it near water much less drop it in water to ruin it. I sent it is to be replaced and I just received it back saying if i didn't send the replacement in 48 hours I was going to be charged over $500 and that there was water damage done. It is with alltel, does anyone know how i can resolve this or where i can get a cheap replacement phone to avoid paying a ton of money?
    06-05-08 01:46 PM
    So you have both phones in your hand right now? The "water damaged" one and the replacement phone? Was it a warranty return, or insurance? You are kinda at their mercy here either way. I would take both phones to an Alltel store, and see what they say. And then I would work the customer service rep to find out why they say that your phone had water damage. Work your way up the ladder to a manager till you get somebody that give you a decent solution. Worst case send the replacement back in 48 hours like they want, and then continue to fight the claim that yours had water damage. The last thing you want is for them to charge your account or send it to a collection agency.

If that goes nowhere, still send it back and buy a used pearl off of ebay or the marketplace as a replacement for much cheaper than $500
    06-05-08 05:15 PM
    Does the water damage indicator look like it has turned pink? I would think that would be the first thing you would check. Sometimes if you keep your phone in your pocket (especially in close fitting clothes like blue jeans) you can expose your phone to moisture simply by perspiring. It happens.
    06-06-08 08:15 AM
    Does the water damage indicator look like it has turned pink? I would think that would be the first thing you would check. Sometimes if you keep your phone in your pocket (especially in close fitting clothes like blue jeans) you can expose your phone to moisture simply by perspiring. It happens.
    what the eff is the water damage indicator?
    06-07-08 02:08 AM
    Another cheap option is...... If your insurance covers lost, just say you lost it and pay the $50 deduct. Just a suggestion HTH

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-08 02:30 AM
    what the eff is the water damage indicator?
    Inside the phone theres a "white" square, if it is expose with water the "white" square turns pink.
    Last edited by redman12; 06-07-08 at 07:33 AM.
    06-07-08 07:27 AM
    theres a water damage indicator on the bottom of the battery too, its a little sqaure that comes up with red x's if it has been exposed to water. My battery has it from when i put on my BSE lol.
    06-07-08 10:46 AM
    Hmm now I am worried. There is a tiny white sticker on the bottom of my actual battery that has a red bar across it. However the white stickers under the battery on my actual phone remain white. I just had T-Mo send me a replacement phone because of another defect, but they said I didn't have to return the battery or anything so I am not worried. But my phone has never touched any moisture so I don't understand...

06-07-08 07:43 PM
    My white sticker on the bottom of my battery has a red line through it too, no water here, and it is working fine.

Inside the phone though, to the left of where the battery hooks in to the phone (actually right where the red line would line up) there is a white sticker that is pure white on mine.
    06-08-08 12:00 PM
    Nice information!!!!
    06-08-08 12:35 PM
    Either all white or white with red lines/dots/hash marks is fine. When it gets wet the red bleeds into the white making it turn pink. Many things can cause it to turn pink. Dropping it in the water, keeping it in your pants pocket on a hot day (if you sweat a lot), exposure to steam.....

If you keep your berry in the bathroom with you while you are in the tub/shower the moisture can (with repeated exposure) be enough to cause your indicator to turn pink.

Maybe someone should start making look alike stickers to cover the pink ones.....

06-09-08 11:58 AM
    theres a water damage indicator on the bottom of the battery too, its a little sqaure that comes up with red x's if it has been exposed to water. My battery has it from when i put on my BSE lol.

The strip with the red x's is not a water exposure indicator. When I received my new Curve I noticed this on my battery and immediately called Sprint at which time they informed me this is not an indication of exposure. A lot of new reps think this is the case.

I would suggest looking at your water damage indicator if its not red or pink take a picture of it and fight their false claim.
    06-09-08 12:12 PM
    My white sticker on the bottom of my battery has a red line through it too, no water here, and it is working fine.

Inside the phone though, to the left of where the battery hooks in to the phone (actually right where the red line would line up) there is a white sticker that is pure white on mine.
    That white sticker is the moisture indicator. Don't worry about the red line or x's on the battery, that is not an indicator of any kind according to Sprint.
    06-09-08 12:13 PM
    I had a battery on my previous phone with the same type of sticker. When it got wet the red x's bled into the the white part of the sticker creating ......pink.

I guess someone else could just dunk their battery to find out if this is the case with our blackberry battery....... :P

06-09-08 05:30 PM
    Blackberry curve 8310

Yesterday, during a crazy rain storm, my phone fell out of my hand, and half fell into a puddle. For maybe 1 Second, I immediately pulled it out and dried the phone with the air from a car. The screen wouldn't turn back on until it was dry, but now the keyboard is completely unresponsive. The trackball still works, but none of the keys are responsive now. I called my carrier, and because the battery reset thing didn't work, they deemed it defective. They are now sending me a refurbished cell.

my only concern is there is now potential water damage to the phone that I have no way of finding out if it has been damaged by water...

any tips? i don't want to be charged the full amount for a refurb.... what should I do?
    06-10-08 12:52 PM

Yesterday I was in the apartment, and turned off the Curve 8900 (2 months old), I took the battery out to change my SIM card, when I put the battery in again, I am expecting the sloooow process of the Curve's startup, the phone's LEd started blinking 3 times in intervals. It didn�t turned on again. I take the battery out, and I noticed a red strip that I thought I haven't seen before.

Been googling all day, and all I found is, this appears due to water damage...
    What the h..ck does that mean?

does it mean the battery died?? And I can replace it or does it mean the entire Curve died and I am pretty much sc..wed?

The Curve was not near any water source....
    05-27-09 02:02 AM
    anyone know where to buy extra white stickers?

one time with my old razr (bleh) it got water damage, so i replaced it with a sticker from an older razr that wasn't water damaged. i was able to get it fixed!
    05-27-09 03:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD