I'll start off by being upfront, I'm new here, but that doesn't mean that I haven't checked every available internet resource I could find on the problem I'm having. So far I've tried everything and nothing is happening. Please read more below.

My problem began when my 8120 started getting a jvm 102 error. I looked it up online and decided that, after many other options were exhausted, I'd backup my phone (on one of the rare occasions it started up) and then wipe and fresh install the OS.

So I had a successful backup, a successful wipe...and the fresh install...didn't work.

I received the following error message from the Desktop manager:

"An error has occurred while downloading software to your device. Please verify your Internet connection or try again later, if the problem persists."

I checked the internet connection, tried using a friend's laptop, and checked on a different internet connection on a Mac (I'm using a PC). Nothing worked.

Ok, I decided to follow the second advice I found on the internet and do a fresh install directly off of my computer after downloading the OS from my service provider.

When I launched the app loader, it told me that the OS wasn't present.

At this point I'm frustrated because there doesn't seem to be any sort of hardware issue and yet I can't do anything about my phone being a 507 brick.

What should I do?
    11-14-10 10:58 AM
    first thing, did you install the OS to your PC also?
    apploader needs the OS installed on the PC.
    if you did install, then I'm not sure..
    hth
    jrv
    11-14-10 11:21 AM
    jrv2

Yes, I did install the OS on my PC. I in fact installed a different version after thoroughly uninstalling the first one and there was no difference.
    11-14-10 11:25 AM
    only other thing I could think is that the OS file itself got corrupted somehow.
    Can try re-downloading the OS file?
    a bit of a a stretch perhaps, but I'm not sure where else to go..unless it is hardware..
    hope you can find a way out, the 8120 is a great phone!
    jrv
    11-14-10 11:34 AM
    The OS files weren't corrupt, tried downloading them multiple times. I even tried downloading them from separate sources, as my BB isn't locked.

But still nothing happened.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a solution that would definitively test that my phone isn't suffering from hardware problems. Something like a foolproof way to install the OS on the 8120
    11-14-10 11:38 AM
    Did you delete the vendor.xml file?
    11-14-10 11:55 AM
    Yes, the vendor.xml file was deleted and then my recycle bin emptied.
    11-14-10 12:02 PM
    Huh, the vendor.xml file wasn't properly deleted it seems.

Just deleted it, everything seems to be running well. I'll let you know what happens.

Thank you for your patience.
    11-14-10 12:09 PM
    Try using BBSAK to reinstall the OS. You can download BBSAK here.
    11-14-10 12:11 PM
    The applications were loading properly but then the phone reset itself spontaneously and now I'm getting a 561 error.
    11-14-10 12:12 PM
    I'm going to try BBSAK, thanks for the tip
    11-14-10 12:16 PM
    Nothing's working. It still shuts down manually and then directs me to go to the device manager and use the 'power management tab' for my USB properties to change a setting. That tab is not present.
    11-14-10 12:35 PM
    Does anyone have a solution for it shutting down in the middle of the application loader?
    11-14-10 12:44 PM
    On your PC, open device manager. Go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and double-click USB Root Hub. Then click Power Management and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not checked.

Try Apploader again after changing your PC settings.
    11-14-10 12:50 PM
    And don't forget to give loader.exe admin rights - right-click on it, go to Properties, Compatibility tab, then go to the bottom where it says run with elevated or admin privileges and check that box (can't remember exactly what it says, but you can't miss it), click Apply -> OK.
    11-14-10 01:19 PM
    Ok, so it just stopped right in the middle of loading the latin_truetype.cod file with the exact same error.

I then checked the USB hub in device manager and it had reset all of them to allowing it to turn off my devices.

...so I changed it back and it didn't make a difference.

Why is my phone still switching off in the middle of loading things?
    11-14-10 01:51 PM
    I followed your helpful instructions and it made more progress this time, but then I got the following message from the App loader.

A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000024]
    ...what do I do now?
    11-14-10 02:00 PM
    Now I'm getting the same old 'reset your USB hubs' message....
    11-14-10 02:26 PM
    And now all I'm getting is the LED is flashing a red light in two flash increments
    11-14-10 02:54 PM
    Ok, this is getting downright frustrating. I followed all the instructions about the USB settings and the admin privileges and it's still not letting me install the OS.

What am I doing wrong or what is wrong with my phone?
    11-14-10 03:22 PM
    Can someone please provide additional help? I've done my best and don't know what to do.
    11-14-10 04:22 PM
    What version of Windows are you running?
    11-14-10 11:29 PM
    I'm running Windows 7 32-bit.
    11-15-10 04:38 AM
    I'm running Windows 7 32-bit.
    I run Win7 32bit as well. I've had some issues but none as troublesome as yours; I can understand the frustration. So let's back out and start from the beginning: re-download the OS you want to install, but before that delete the install file, then go to Control Panel -> Programs and uninstall the device software. Reboot your PC, and when you get back to the desktop go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\ and delete anything there. Reboot again so the registry updates. Then install the OS, reboot again (same reason). Most importantly - do NOT have your device plugged in at all for this. Once you've gotten back to the desktop, go and make loader.exe run with elevated privileges again, and do the same for BBSAK and Desktop Manager. Then plug in your device and try installing via loader.exe with DM closed (use DM to backup first), and let us know how things go.
    11-15-10 08:10 PM
    I've reached the stage where the phone is about to be re-loaded. Followed the instructions to the letter. Thank the maker for great boot-up speeds on my laptop.
    11-17-10 04:07 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD