I just got a Pearl 8110 that is unlocked. In reading these forums I was under the impression that..."If unlocked, all you have to do is shut off the data services on the phone and then pop in the sim card! You can use every feature...even text message."

I do not have a data plan, and I don't want to get one. I don't need BB messaging or the internet at all. I just want to make calls and send texts. So I popped in my SIM, but when I try the text function I get the message "No Message services configured. You will only be able to Save to draft."

Please help!
    08-22-09 11:51 AM
    If you have SMS/Txting as part of your plan, you should have no problems.

Put your SIM in and txt someone. A data plan is not required.
    08-22-09 12:55 PM
    SMS texts are a part of GSM and have no part of a data plan. You should be able to text easily once your phone has the service number put in. Ususally this is done as you insert the SIM card.

It is possible that your carrier needs to help you get it working but, you do not need a data plan to text.
    08-24-09 05:15 PM
    You can text with/without data plan i have unlocked at&t pearl running on tmobile without data plan and i text perfectly fine... you need data plan for like everything else like aim/messenger/internet/email... but not for texting
    08-24-09 11:48 PM
    you can still text. when you goto messages dont click the trackball in to create a message. instead hit the bb home button and scroll down to compose sms text.
    08-29-09 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD