Hello,
    I am a fairly new Blackberry pearl owner, and I have downloaded a few ringtones from crackberry.com, and I can not figure out how to do whatever it is I need to do to get them on my phone so I can actually start using them!!

I can get the ringtones from the website onto my computer, but then what? Am I supposed to use my memory card and put it into computer to upload ringtones onto it, then put my memory card in my phone and go from there?

If so, HOW?? Also, my memory card in my phone says its "Unreadable"- does it need to be formatted first?? If yes, then again- HOW??

Thanks so much for any help in advance, I am so not tech-savy...
    Sarah
    06-29-08 10:07 AM
    Sarah,
    If there's nothing on your card right now, go to Options> Media Card> Hit Menu> Selcet Format Card.

To get the ringtones onto the card, read this -

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/mana...ry-card-40468/
    06-29-08 10:27 AM
    Did that work?
    06-29-08 11:10 AM
    Hi Chaz and ems2857....

No it did not work. It said "Format Failed".

What now??
    When I go to Options>Media Card, the screen says: "Media Card support: ON; Encryption Mode: None; Mass Storage Mode Support: ON; Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode when Connected: Prompt; Media Card can not be read. Verify that the memory card is formatted."

Any ideas of what to try next?
    Thanks in advance.
    Sarah
    06-29-08 02:20 PM
    Can you try the card in another device or PC to see if it can be read? may be a bad card. What brand/size is it?
    06-29-08 02:22 PM
    does it give you the option to format the card when you click menu?

-db
    06-29-08 02:23 PM
    Sorry, more accurately it says "Media Card Format Failed".
    Sarah
    06-29-08 02:24 PM
    It does give the option to Format Card when I click on menu, but when I click on Format Card, it says what I posted above.

Chaz- its a SanDisk , 4GB. That mean anything to you? LOL, 'cuz it doesn't to me, its the one the Telus store had in stock when I bought the Blackberry.

Sarah
    06-29-08 02:26 PM
    you may have a bad card...

you could try to return it and get another one...

-db
    06-29-08 02:27 PM
    By trying it in another device (like my PC) you mean to pop it into the plastic adaptor thing that came with it and plug it into my USB port right? (I told you I was new at this- thanks so much for all your help!)
    Sarah
    06-29-08 02:27 PM
    thats correct...put it into the adapter and plug it into your pc and see if it reads it...if not its a bad card...it happens..

-db
    06-29-08 02:28 PM
    If it is bad, return it for replacement, SanDisk is normally a great brand.
    06-29-08 02:31 PM
    Well, isn't this peachy? I can't plug it into my PC because the adaptor does not plug into my USB port! Its vertical, and the excess plastic around the actual connection piece is too big, it doesn't allow for the connector to get close enough to actually go in the port....if that makes sense. Guess I'll be heading back to Telus...Even IF the card was working in my phone, what good is it if I can't plug it into my PC as well?
    Sarah
    06-29-08 02:36 PM
    It actually doesn't go into the USB port... you either need to have a media card slot on the PC, or a card reader that plugs into the USB on the PC.
    06-29-08 03:02 PM
    i, too, just bought my pearl this weekend and i've been GLUED to crackberry.com all weekend...

i found it best to email the ringtone to my cellphone (blackberry email) and then click on the link inside the email on your BB phone, then when click save then check the set as ringtone box then save again.
    06-29-08 04:30 PM
    Ok, I think its the card...well, sort of. I did find the place where I plug it in (assuming I'm right of course) because I put the teeny memory card (that actually fits inside my phone) inside the larger black card that came with, that in turn goes into the white plastic adaptor thing, which plugs into a port on the BACK of my harddrive.....

And the PC seems to read it all right, the window pops up, and the message said "New hardware detected" etc....all the normal stuff you'd expect to see.

But, still doesn't work in my phone. Guess I'm going back to Telus.
    Thanks again for all your help!

Negritude: do you have to have a functioning memory card in your phone to get the ringtones as you suggested in your post?
    06-29-08 07:31 PM
    negritude: I was able to email the ringtone to my BB email, and can open the email, but don't seem to be able to click on the link that is in the email to get anywhere. None of my options seem to be what you are experiencing- perhaps its my lack of memory card?
    GRRRRRR. Frustrating!
    Sarah
    06-29-08 07:38 PM
    well i'm not sure why the link wouldn't be opening. However, I had this EXACT problem a few weeks ago, and it turned out that it was a problem with my blackberry hardware. I just took it to verizon and they fiddled with it for a few minutes and then gave me a brand new phone. they switched all my info onto it and also installed the card. When you go to the store to talk to the tech people, just tell them that your bb isnt reading the card, but that your computer is having no problem reading the card. if they cant fix it, they should give you a new one.

i tried for SO LONG to get mine to work, so definitely dont wait - just go to the store tomorrow and let them deal with it.

good luck!
    06-29-08 07:42 PM
    let us know what happens too!
    06-29-08 07:43 PM
    no i don't have a memory card. i've only had my bbp for a week so i haven't filled up the memory yet.
    07-03-08 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD