My friend just got a new phone and since i was looking for one as well he just let me have his old one, a BlackBerry pearl 8220. Ive wiped the whole phone of everything including the OS. Then i reloaded the newest os, stuck my SIM card in and have been having a few major problems. Alot of the time when i get a text message it will just show the icon indicating that i have one waiting to be read, but wont make the notification noise. When this happens (I usually dont notice I just pick it up and see i have a message) when I click on the button to open my messages the phone will lock up for about 3 minutes and then ill get an error message along the lines of "the process failed" and once i exit that none of the apps on the phone will open, everything will just freeze up and give me the same error. I usually just pull the battery and it will work like new again for a little while, but soon enough the same thing will repeat. My friend said he has never had any problems with the phone and we at a loss as to what could be causing the problems. any help would be much appreciated TIA! Oh i forgot to mention, he used this phone on at&t and i use T-mobile. The phone was originally a t-mobile phone that he just cracked.
    Last edited by stevenandwes; 06-22-09 at 08:24 PM. Reason: adding extra info
    06-22-09 08:22 PM
    My friend just got a new phone and since i was looking for one as well he just let me have his old one, a BlackBerry pearl 8220. Ive wiped the whole phone of everything including the OS. Then i reloaded the newest os, stuck my SIM card in and have been having a few major problems. Alot of the time when i get a text message it will just show the icon indicating that i have one waiting to be read, but wont make the notification noise. When this happens (I usually dont notice I just pick it up and see i have a message) when I click on the button to open my messages the phone will lock up for about 3 minutes and then ill get an error message along the lines of "the process failed" and once i exit that none of the apps on the phone will open, everything will just freeze up and give me the same error. I usually just pull the battery and it will work like new again for a little while, but soon enough the same thing will repeat. My friend said he has never had any problems with the phone and we at a loss as to what could be causing the problems. any help would be much appreciated TIA! Oh i forgot to mention, he used this phone on at&t and i use T-mobile. The phone was originally a t-mobile phone that he just cracked.
    That's interesting.... That is a known problem with Tmobile Flips when updating the OS to a newer one, like 460.267 or 460.278 (which I'm using). The Tmobile Flips come with 4.6.0.180, and the fav 5 cod file works fine with it. The way to get around it and keep it from locking up when receiving SMS texts (just like you mentioned), is to remove the "fav 5 .cod" file prior to installing an OS other than .180....

Got ahead of myself.... So it IS or WAS a Tmobile phone? If yes, then all you need to do is install the newest official 4.6.0.267 OS or the beta 4.6.0.278. But prior to doing that make sure to delete the Vendor.xml AND the fav 5 .cod file PRIOR to installing .267 or .278.

"Delete net_rim_tmo_five.cod from the AppLoader device software folder as previously described (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\[OS]\Java\net_rim_tmo_five.cod)"

ONLY delete that cod file and not the other fav 5 lib file!!!!

There are many posts on the subject....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f85/rem...av-5-a-243576/

OS Leaks: 4.5.0.153 for GSM Devices & 4.6.0.278 for 8220! | CrackBerry.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/f85/new...nguage-224421/

I can almost guarantee you....that's your issue! Before I removed that fav 5 cod file, my Flip would lock up for 5 min after receiving a text. Removed it and my baby has been rock solid for 3 weeks.

Good Luck...let us know if it works!!
    Last edited by Hoggles; 06-22-09 at 08:42 PM. Reason: More info :)
    06-22-09 08:37 PM
    Thanks for the reply. If i remove that will it get rid of my fav5's though? Because i kinda need those, im not rocking alot of minutes on my plan so having the people i talk to the most free is kinda needed
    06-22-09 08:40 PM
    Did you delete the favorite5 file as instructed in the sticky thread. It can cause the phone to lockup when you receive a SMS.
    06-22-09 08:42 PM
    Thanks for the reply. If i remove that will it get rid of my fav5's though? Because i kinda need those, im not rocking alot of minutes on my plan so having the people i talk to the most free is kinda needed
    No Steven.... I was wondering that myself and the gurus here assured me that it only deletes the fav5 icon in your application screen. Those calls are still "free of charge"

Just make sure to only delete that 1 .cod file AND of course the vendor.xml.

You must leave the "net_rim_tmo_five_lib.cod" in place...very important!!!!

Then you should have a happy FlipBerry

Good luck!
    Last edited by Hoggles; 06-22-09 at 08:50 PM.
    06-22-09 08:46 PM
    Thanks a bunch guys! i'll try that. update soon.
    06-22-09 08:47 PM
    Thanks a bunch guys! i'll try that. update soon.
    Ya man...that will do it for ya. You'll be lovin' the Berry again real soon
    06-22-09 08:54 PM
    Worked, but now all my front screen displays is the "t-mobile"
    06-22-09 09:34 PM
    ..oops deleted an extra file, thats why hehe
    06-22-09 10:00 PM
    ..oops deleted an extra file, thats why hehe
    Oh hehe....

Ya, DO NOT delete that lib cod file. ONLY the "net_rim_tmo_five.cod"

that should do it...let us know

06-22-09 10:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD