Hello. I have a BB Pearl 8810 with AT&T. If I got rid of the 9.99/month AT&T Nav option, would that block my GPS? I cannot see spending 9.99 per month when Google Maps is far better, IMO.

I just got rid of ATT Nav, and they said it shouldn't block my GPS. Haven't tested it yet. I assume since the phone has its own receiver, there would be no way for them to block it, but I wanted some opionions.
    08-14-08 12:26 PM
    The GPS in your AT&T phone will work without a subscription to Telenav. The carrier certainly can block it, though. Verizon does.
    08-14-08 12:29 PM
    Yes GPS will not be blocked. You can use it with Google maps just fine.
    08-14-08 12:31 PM
    THANKS! Forgive me for not introducing myself. GREAT FORUM! You guys seem to know it all. I got a great deal on this phone, and am now ADDICTED to it. Getting e-mail and everything is great! Upgraded from a Razor, which did in fact serve me well for years, (sniff), but felt I needed to be truly mobile.

Thanks again.
    08-14-08 12:32 PM
    This reason and this reason alone is why Im returning my Pearl to verizon and going back to my razor.
    08-14-08 06:44 PM
    This reason and this reason alone is why Im returning my Pearl to verizon and going back to my razor.
    If you are otherwise satisfied with your Pearl, and particularly if you have better cell service with the Verizon Pearl than you had with your razor, you can always purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver that will work fine with your Pearl. It's your phone and your decision. You have an alternative to the internal GPS, if you wish to purchase and use one.
    08-14-08 07:19 PM
    If you are otherwise satisfied with your Pearl, and particularly if you have better cell service with the Verizon Pearl than you had with your razor, you can always purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver that will work fine with your Pearl. It's your phone and your decision. You have an alternative to the internal GPS, if you wish to purchase and use one.
    I am happy otherwise. I like being able to check my email, do web seaches etc. I really like Google Maps Mobile. It just bothers me that Verizon does this BS with locking out the GPS and forcing you to buy the piece of **** VZ Nav software. Its like buying an ipod and having to pay a monthly fee to use the play button.

I do know about the bluetooth gps adapters. However I don't see my self wanting to carry one of those around with me.
    08-14-08 08:09 PM
    That's fine and dandy Jeff for him to purchase a external gps receiver. But in fact it not really his phone. Its Verizon phone, forceing the user to either buy there product or something else. Its of course been talk about a lot in this forum. To me its my phone and I should be able to pay, or get free, any program I so wish that's compatible with my phone. Its like the bank telling you how to mow your lawn or who to use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 08:18 PM
    I've said this in other threads, but I'll repeat it here, just so you don't misunderstand me. I have no problem with Verizon charging whatever the market will bear for subscriptions to VZNav. Contrary to the OP's opinion, it gets very good reviews from people who've subscribed and use it. VZNav is the product of Verizon's intellectual effort, they own it, they can charge what they want for it.

Verizon does not own the GPS constellation. It was built and largely paid for by US taxpayers. I do not believe Verizon should be allowed to restrict the use of the built-in GPS to just their product. But they do. The OP wouldn't be able to use Google Maps, even if he did subscribe to VZNav. That, I do not agree with.

All that said, Verizon gives me excellent coverage in the places I need it, including some places like the DC Metro where almost no other provider has service. I won't leave Verizon over the GPS issue.

Finally, it's not that I'm too cheap to pay $10/month for VZNav. My phone is provided by my employer, and my employer pays the bill.

For all these reasons, a GPS puck is a good option for me. It's not for everybody, but I wanted to be sure the OP was aware of the option.
    08-14-08 08:30 PM
    I've said this in other threads, but I'll repeat it here, just so you don't misunderstand me. I have no problem with Verizon charging whatever the market will bear for subscriptions to VZNav. Contrary to the OP's opinion, it gets very good reviews from people who've subscribed and use it. VZNav is the product of Verizon's intellectual effort, they own it, they can charge what they want for it.

Verizon does not own the GPS constellation. It was built and largely paid for by US taxpayers. I do not believe Verizon should be allowed to restrict the use of the built-in GPS to just their product. But they do. The OP wouldn't be able to use Google Maps, even if he did subscribe to VZNav. That, I do not agree with.

All that said, Verizon gives me excellent coverage in the places I need it, including some places like the DC Metro where almost no other provider has service. I won't leave Verizon over the GPS issue.

Finally, it's not that I'm too cheap to pay $10/month for VZNav. My phone is provided by my employer, and my employer pays the bill.

For all these reasons, a GPS puck is a good option for me. It's not for everybody, but I wanted to be sure the OP was aware of the option.
    Jeff
    I didn't mean to offend you by response. If i did, i apologize. The simple fact is that i as a cell phone user is going to be forced to go with verizon or change if they choose to break our contracts. I am to cheap to pay a extra $10 a month cause i already pay enough for my cell phone. Right now in my area, Michigan, Alltel has great coverage and so far just about anywhere I've been i've got coverage. And, what does OP mean...
    08-14-08 08:56 PM
    Jeff
    I didn't mean to offend you by response. If i did, i apologize. The simple fact is that i as a cell phone user is going to be forced to go with verizon or change if they choose to break our contracts. I am to cheap to pay a extra $10 a month cause i already pay enough for my cell phone. Right now in my area, Michigan, Alltel has great coverage and so far just about anywhere I've been i've got coverage. And, what does OP mean...
    No apology needed. You did not offend me at all, and I apologize if my tone led you to believe you did. I probably came across as defensive or argumentative. Everything I mentioned has been brought up before, from the "VZNav should be free" to the "you are too cheap!" so I tend to give a comprehensive answer, even when one isn't needed.

"OP" stands for "Original Poster" or "Original Post" as the context dictates.
    08-14-08 09:23 PM
    OK boys do i need to take ya ll out to the wood shed and have a talk with you ? LOL
    08-14-08 10:27 PM
    can google maps mobile be used on the verizon pearl with a bluetooth receiver? I dont see an option to use one. i remember on my 7130e there was an option that said bluetooth gps...
    08-15-08 08:16 AM
    can google maps mobile be used on the verizon pearl with a bluetooth receiver? I dont see an option to use one. i remember on my 7130e there was an option that said bluetooth gps...
    You have to have paired with the receiver before it will show up as an option. I haven't used one with a Verizon Pearl, but as long as the Pearl has bluetooth, it should work fine.
    08-15-08 08:18 AM
    You have to have paired with the receiver before it will show up as an option. I haven't used one with a Verizon Pearl, but as long as the Pearl has bluetooth, it should work fine.
    good to know. thanks
    08-15-08 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD