When using BB Maps program.......I set the GPS to use my bluetooth as the GPS source.........when I hit Start GPS Navigation, it says searching for satellite, but never finds it.........any ideas on how to make this work?.....is it because I have an old bluetooth????
    03-03-08 03:54 PM
    I believe 8130 has built-in GPS, so shouldn't be set on bluetooth.
    Don't quote me on this, I don't have GPS.
    03-03-08 04:03 PM
    when in settings......I have two options......none or the bluetooth devoce attached.........thanks for trying to help
    03-03-08 04:16 PM
    You probably want to set it to "nothing". Bluetooth would be if you were connected a bluetooth GPS device to your phone. But since you don't need to connect anything (GPS is built in), select None.
    03-03-08 04:44 PM
    If you use the internal gps you use your data plan. For me I use the Freedom Keychain GPS 2000. It work perfectly with my BB.
    03-03-08 07:06 PM
    Verizon? I had to set mine to location on too for my Bluetooth GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-08 07:22 PM
    Yes with Verizon service......I know the phone has built in GPS, but can't get it to work......is it something to do with Verizon wanting me to pay for there extra service and blocking it on my phone?
    03-06-08 08:23 AM
    Yes with Verizon service......I know the phone has built in GPS, but can't get it to work......is it something to do with Verizon wanting me to pay for there extra service and blocking it on my phone?
    DING DING DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Yes that's exactly what they want you to do. The 8130 has a built in GPS, but you cannot use it unless you pay the $10 a month to activate VZW Navigation software on your phone.

Reports say if you do pay for it, then you can use the GPS with Google Maps or BB Maps or any other software that takes advantage of the GPS. But if you don't pay, you don't get to play.
    03-06-08 08:39 AM
    DING DING DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Yes that's exactly what they want you to do. The 8130 has a built in GPS, but you cannot use it unless you pay the $10 a month to activate VZW Navigation software on your phone.

Reports say if you do pay for it, then you can use the GPS with Google Maps or BB Maps or any other software that takes advantage of the GPS. But if you don't pay, you don't get to play.
    You can download Google maps and if you have GPS on and have Location turned on, it'll give you a rough estimate of where you are on the map. This is even if you don't have the VZNavigator monthly plan.

The VZNavigator is more enhanced than having Google maps simply because it acts as a GPS Nav unit and gives you turn by turn directions.

Download Google maps and verify that your GPS Services = Location On and you'll see your rough location on GMaps.
    03-06-08 01:52 PM
    You can download Google maps and if you have GPS on and have Location turned on, it'll give you a rough estimate of where you are on the map. This is even if you don't have the VZNavigator monthly plan.

The VZNavigator is more enhanced than having Google maps simply because it acts as a GPS Nav unit and gives you turn by turn directions.

Download Google maps and verify that your GPS Services = Location On and you'll see your rough location on GMaps.
    That's not GPS though. That's cell triangularization based on cell phone signal strength and has nothing to do with GPS. You can have the GPS turned off (well in 911 mode only) and it still does this.

Google Maps

And it's not even remotely accurately, for me it's off by 2 miles and that's on a good day.
    Last edited by archer823; 03-07-08 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Adding more information.
    03-07-08 01:02 PM
    So even if I'm subscribed to the VZ Navigator service, does it use cell triangulation in GMaps? I think it does because my location is off by about 700 ft.
    03-07-08 02:16 PM
    So even if I'm subscribed to the VZ Navigator service, does it use cell triangulation in GMaps? I think it does because my location is off by about 700 ft.
    Gmaps does not support GPS. I have Alltel and when you go into the settings it says "Device GPS". The GPS on this phone is amazing it's got to be within a few feet.
    03-07-08 09:51 PM
    What GPS apps are accurate for the pearls? Anything with turn bY turn directions?

03-08-08 12:15 AM
    What GPS apps are accurate for the pearls? Anything with turn bY turn directions?

I believe the BB maps program has turn by turn directions, as does Google maps. And like I said, the BB maps program is very accurate.
    03-08-08 12:33 AM
    Question

I read somewhere that you can download the same OS from other carriers.
    So, to enable the GPS couldnt you download the OS from somewhere else that doesnt screw their customers.
    03-08-08 02:28 AM

I have Verizon as well. Is there a work around for using the built in GPS on the phone and BB Maps? I thought that I had a defective phone or old software or something.
    04-09-08 09:59 AM
    No...Verizon is being a bunch of greedy jackasses so they lock down the GPS functionality of the phone so it only works with VZNavigator. This way, their customers have to pay a monthly $9.99 fee in order to utilize GPS.

I'm not sure how they do this but we need a bright techy to come along and figure out how to unlock it. So far no luck.

I'm not too certain on other carriers but I do know that other carriers don't lock their GPS, which means you'll get a very accurate placement when using GMaps. If this is a major issue for you, you should consider switching carriers.
    04-09-08 11:24 AM
    Question

I read somewhere that you can download the same OS from other carriers.
    So, to enable the GPS couldnt you download the OS from somewhere else that doesnt screw their customers.
    Now that I think about it, I think I read somewhere that Verizon has a simple checkbox on their end that enables GPS on the device. So the way it works is when a customer subscribes to VZNavigator, it automatically checks this box on your account.

If the above is true (someone who stated worked for Verizon posted it somewhere in this forum), then my guess is using another carrier's OS still won't unlock it.
    04-09-08 11:28 AM

sprint offer GPS with their $99 deal,it works great almost feels like a mini garmin
    04-09-08 04:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD