Idiots guide to this got this on my p[hone but how does it work?

When i go on maps i can put in an address and it maps it but i thought the GPRS works like a sat nav system and expected to be able to put in current location and it would find where i am and get me from where i am to where i want to be?

Not sure if this is explained very well, but that is what i thought it was all about?

Anybody have the answers?
    03-16-08 06:58 AM
    Google Maps will do that... Not sure about the Blackberry Maps, though...

GPRS triangulization isnt dead accurate.... usually 500 to 2000 yards off the mark. It wont take the place of GPS
    03-16-08 07:12 AM
    I am clueless & a lil confused on this whole topic for my 8100. To top it off, I'm not quite sure if it's my phones capabilities, the applications settings, or maybe just what it is I think the application is s'posed to do.
    I've tried the already included BBMaps, Google Maps, & Nav4All.
    I know my carrier (T-Mobile) doesn't offer GPS services, but is the 8100 even GPS compatible? What about the bluetooth GPRS option in NAV4All? How does that work? Everytime I click on it, it takes me to my list of Bluetooth devices for me to pair something additional. I'm assuming that means I need to purchase something extra?

I"m so confused !?!?!?!? lol
    03-17-08 12:09 AM
    The 8100 doesn't have GPS. You can add a GPS puck though. Google Maps has a cool feature though that will approximate your location based upon whichever cell tower you are connected to, if you don't have GPS.
    03-17-08 01:03 AM
    The 8100 doesn't have GPS. You can add a GPS puck though. Google Maps has a cool feature though that will approximate your location based upon whichever cell tower you are connected to, if you don't have GPS.
    Dumb question for ya man,but since it's on topic. Does google maps work better with gps, or would it be the same with traffic and all that with out it?
    03-17-08 02:02 AM
    GPS will pinpoint your location a lot better than My Location.
    03-17-08 02:10 AM
    GPS will pinpoint your location a lot better than My Location.
    Thanks SunKast, we would all be lost with out you.
    03-17-08 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD