Ok so yesterday I was filling my pool up and had my phone in my pocket and my shorts got wet, and I didnt even think about my phone being in my pocket. I was not submerged. Anyway about 15 mins later I needed to use my phone and it was dead. It would not do anything. So I took it apart and used a small wet/dry vac to suck any water out. Then let the phone dry outside by the pool. I put the battery in late last night and nothing happened. Then this morning I tried again and not it will power up and the keypad lights up as does the trackball. But the screen lights up and shows a battery with a red line slashed thru it.

Does this mean anything in particular? And what are the chances of fixing the phone? I know the warranty it shot now, but do they even really check those things?
    08-11-08 01:34 PM
    This just means you need a new battery...

It might be a coincidence, or it might have got damaged by the water... but remember in the future if you run into water damage :

1) Take out battery before anything else (to prevent circuit board and electronics damage)

2) Place in a bag of rice to wick away moisture
    08-11-08 01:36 PM
    This just means you need a new battery...

It might be a coincidence, or it might have got damaged by the water... but remember in the future if you run into water damage :

1) Take out battery before anything else (to prevent circuit board and electronics damage)

2) Place in a bag of rice to wick away moisture
    I was thinking this was meaning that. However the phone is only a few months old and the battery seems pretty sealed. But I dont know much about these things so maybe the battery is shot.

Would the phone in normal conditions work if it was plugged in even if the battery is shot?
    08-11-08 01:39 PM
    Also if I need to take it apart where would I find a tool to do that. I have tried all of my small allen wrenches and they dont fit.
    08-11-08 01:47 PM
    Also if I need to take it apart where would I find a tool to do that. I have tried all of my small allen wrenches and they dont fit.
    Try this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-guide-54485/
    08-11-08 01:54 PM
    With the way mobile phone PC boards are designed these days once water hits the board its very unlikely the phone will give you good service even after been repaired. To open up the device you need a T6 driver.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 01:58 PM
    08-11-08 05:00 PM
    And, please tell me, how does that help the OP at all??

There have been several threads on this new technology, but how does this even help right now?? Do you want them to go back in time and then replay the whole scenario after they waterproof their device?
    08-11-08 05:02 PM
    Introducing the latest from NMI - included with your purchase and installation of a Golden Shellback Coating for your BlackBerry, you get one free trip in the wayback machine!

OP - do the rice trick. Leave your phone in the bag for at least a day ( several if you've got the time). Your battery does sound shot. Beats replacing the whole phone though. Don't make matters worse by sticking a new battery in w/o first doing the drying procedures.
    08-11-08 05:07 PM
    Introducing the latest from NMI - included with your purchase and installation of a Golden Shellback Coating for your BlackBerry, you get one free trip in the wayback machine!
    And my daily dose of Abe humor is now satisfied!
    08-11-08 05:10 PM
    dont have any info on fixing it, but i put mine in the washing machine and i have T-Mobile and I have insurance on mine and it cost $110.00 to replace... which is alot better than the $401.00 that I had paid for it... So if you can't fix it and you have insurance at least you know what your going to have to pay. But it was great I had mine a day and a half later. So i wasn't completly behind in all my important BB'ness.
    08-11-08 05:11 PM
    I actually killed my BB last week!
    Went swimming in the pool about an hour or so. Got out, dried off. Sitting in the chair, pull it out my pocket to check email... OH %@$#!!!

You know the rest.

Thanks god for insurance... brand new pearl in 22 hours.

Oh yeah...my point...they said water and batteries don't mix. As soon as the battery gets a little water in it, it shorts out inside.
    08-11-08 09:28 PM
    Hate to say it but if you got it wet and left the battery in with it on for an extended period of time......you prbably nuked your berry. At this point it isn't a matter of whether or not it is still wet. It is a matter of how severely you damaged the linear IC's (computer chips) by having them coated in a conductive fluid while being energized. They probably got fried. They are very sensitive about that sort of thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 10:59 PM
    And, please tell me, how does that help the OP at all??

There have been several threads on this new technology, but how does this even help right now?? Do you want them to go back in time and then replay the whole scenario after they waterproof their device?
    Sorry sa, I was just trying to spread a little info. Also sorry that I'm apparently not as big a crackberry geek as you and don't have the time to spend hours each day reading crackberry posts.

Why don't you add a few my goofy icons to your posts.
    Last edited by 82whiskey; 08-13-08 at 04:22 PM.
    08-13-08 04:19 PM
    ^WTF is this guy/girls problem?
    08-13-08 04:29 PM
    Call Customer care and tell them the screen is all white!!! Do not tell them it got wet. The will have you do a backup and then try to restore it. This will fail and we want it to. Since it is under warranty they will offer you an exchange for a refurbished one, and then you will return your old one and they will charge you $100 cause it has water damage. Pm if you need me to explain further.
    08-14-08 02:18 AM
    WOW!!

Sounds like you got it all figured out!
    Now tell me this--hoe do I get out of my contract?
    08-14-08 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD