Hey,

I have the Google Maps application loaded on my Pearl (8100). Great application by the way. Anywho, toying around with it today, I found that it actually finds "My Location". To my knowledge, the Pearl 8100 is not equipped with GPS. How does that work? I'm confuzzled!
    07-30-08 06:57 PM
    It's using the cell phone towers around you to approximate your location through triangulation.
    07-30-08 07:05 PM
    Actually, if you watch it in action, it seems to just use the physical address of the tower you're on. I've actually watched it bounce back and forth while sitting still. Very handy, though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-08 08:47 PM
    Thanks for the info folks. It creeped me out when it picked up my home address. Not so scary now!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-08 09:05 PM
    Has anyone had the issue of Google Maps remaining on an old location?

Anytime I bring up Google Maps on my Curve, it remembers where I was the last time I used it. I've got VZW as a carrier and I know its only an approximation but I'm somehow still 30 miles away according to the map.

I could swear I remember seeing the blue dot for My Location too..

Any help is sppreciated.
    Scott
    07-31-08 08:23 AM
    Has anyone had the issue of Google Maps remaining on an old location?

Anytime I bring up Google Maps on my Curve, it remembers where I was the last time I used it. I've got VZW as a carrier and I know its only an approximation but I'm somehow still 30 miles away according to the map.

I could swear I remember seeing the blue dot for My Location too..

Any help is sppreciated.
    Scott
    if you read the bottom of the screen it sais press 0 to get to your location.. It simply remembered where you were last time you used it. Its not broken or anything it just Remembered... Crazy I know, Smart Phone huh.. Is it staying there and not updating your location..? Or just until you hit 0.? Remember it a free app, you get what you paid for. The 30 mile away issue also has to do with the ping from the Cell Phone Towers.
    07-31-08 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD