To more experienced Blackberry users..

I just received my brand new T-Mobile 8120 yesterday. I am trying to run LogicMail 0.4.0 on my Pearl (v4.3.0.115). Currently, I am not subscribed to either the Blackberry e-mail or data plan (med school costs too much!).

In order to set-up LogicMail for wifi-only use, this is what I've done thus far..

- Enabled IMAP support in my gmail accounts
    - In Advanced Options, TCP, I have entered wap.voicestream.com for APN (leaving username and password blank)
    - Used BB Browser to download OTA version of LogicMail 0.4.0
    - In Global Settings, changed "WiFi mode" to Always
    - Saved my full name and [email protected] as my "E-Mail address"

I set up "Accounts" & "Outgoing servers" based on this site's information:
    Google Help > Gmail Help > IMAP > Configuring other mail clients
    (Sorry, too few points for url to be allowed in post.)

- IMAP protocol with server imap.gmail.com:143;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true
    - SSL checked, port 993
    - Username & password entered (have tried both xxxx & [email protected] for username input)
    - "Use MDS proxy" checked
    - Identity default
    - "Outgoing server" xxxx (SMTP)
    - "Sent message folder: <None>"
    - Folder prefix: (blank)

- Outgoing SMTP with server smtp.gmail.com:465;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true
    - SSL checked, port 465
    - Authentication "LOGIN"
    - Username & password entered (have tried both xxxx & [email protected] for username input)

When I select my newly established IMAP account, I am greeted with "No folders" and the following pop-up:
    "The application LogicMail has attempted to access imap.gmail.com. Would you like to allow this?"
    Of course I click yes!

Then, "Connecting to server" will show up and seemingly freeze. I think I catch a brief "Reconnecting" message every once in a while before "Connecting to server" to server shows up again. After 3-5 min, "Unable to reopen connection" appears.

What's going on?! I hope someone who has configured Gmail for LogicMail wifi access can shed some light on what this newbie is doing wrong. I have tried with "Use MDS proxy" both checked and unchecked in the IMAP protocol and outgoing SMTP settings. Nothing seems to work. The software itself seems majorly buggy because parts of pop-up messages will disappear sometimes when "Connecting to server" is in progress. Sometimes, the text between different pop-up screens will overlap. Do I need to uninstall and re-install LogicMail? How do I even go about doing that?

I have no idea what's wrong. I have tried on both wifi UMA & normal mobile network plus wifi. Both ways produce the same error as written above. Please help!!
    05-02-08 04:18 AM
    Hello? Does anyone have any advice to share? At this point, it would be helpful even to know if anyone has gotten it to work. I'd like to know how likely it is that I'm just missing something simple or or if it's nearly impossible to get LogicMail to work.
    05-03-08 01:37 PM
    I don' think you aren't going to be able to get it to work over wifi. The only applications that I know work over wifi without a BB data plan are the BB browser, and JiveTalk.

Your best bet is to log into your email via the web using the BB browser.
    Last edited by sunkast; 05-03-08 at 01:50 PM.
    05-03-08 01:47 PM
    To more experienced Blackberry users..

I just received my brand new T-Mobile 8120 yesterday. I am trying to run LogicMail 0.4.0 on my Pearl (v4.3.0.115). Currently, I am not subscribed to either the Blackberry e-mail or data plan (med school costs too much!).

In order to set-up LogicMail for wifi-only use, this is what I've done thus far..

- Enabled IMAP support in my gmail accounts
    - In Advanced Options, TCP, I have entered wap.voicestream.com for APN (leaving username and password blank)
    - Used BB Browser to download OTA version of LogicMail 0.4.0
    - In Global Settings, changed "WiFi mode" to Always
    - Saved my full name and [email protected] as my "E-Mail address"

I set up "Accounts" & "Outgoing servers" based on this site's information:
    Google Help > Gmail Help > IMAP > Configuring other mail clients
    (Sorry, too few points for url to be allowed in post.)

- IMAP protocol with server imap.gmail.com:143;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true
    - SSL checked, port 993
    - Identity default
    - "Outgoing server" xxxx (SMTP)
    - "Sent message folder: <None>"
    - Folder prefix: (blank)

- Outgoing SMTP with server smtp.gmail.com:465;DeviceSide=True;ConnectionUID=S TCP-WiFi;ConnectionSetup=delayed;retrynocontext=true
    - SSL checked, port 465
    - Authentication "LOGIN"

When I select my newly established IMAP account, I am greeted with "No folders" and the following pop-up:
    "The application LogicMail has attempted to access imap.gmail.com. Would you like to allow this?"
    Of course I click yes!

Then, "Connecting to server" will show up and seemingly freeze. I think I catch a brief "Reconnecting" message every once in a while before "Connecting to server" to server shows up again. After 3-5 min, "Unable to reopen connection" appears.

What's going on?! I hope someone who has configured Gmail for LogicMail wifi access can shed some light on what this newbie is doing wrong. I have tried with "Use MDS proxy" both checked and unchecked in the IMAP protocol and outgoing SMTP settings. Nothing seems to work. The software itself seems majorly buggy because parts of pop-up messages will disappear sometimes when "Connecting to server" is in progress. Sometimes, the text between different pop-up screens will overlap. Do I need to uninstall and re-install LogicMail? How do I even go about doing that?

I have no idea what's wrong. I have tried on both wifi UMA & normal mobile network plus wifi. Both ways produce the same error as written above. Please help!!
    Hye im having the same damn problem.However when i do click inbox it asks for wifi i click yes, then the arrows go crazy in the top right hand corner and i think it connects. However when sending a mail,it does the same thing,but then pops up saying unable to reopen connection.I think its possible that it will work.I dont think we would have reached so far into it if it wouldnt work.hopefully im not wrong.
    06-10-08 04:35 PM
    ok,so so far im getting it to download the messages from my google inbox, that was succesful.But whenever i try to compose a message and send it keeps saying error with recipient or error with sender.
    06-10-08 05:03 PM
    ok,so everything is working now.The problem forme was.....for outgoing,make sure the authentication is LOGIN and i ONLY entered my email(ruben68) and password and checked Use MDSproxy.

Next job is to get hotmail working.
    06-10-08 05:09 PM
    @snypa

what did you do to receive emails? I have the same problem
    06-11-08 08:02 AM
    @snypa

what did you do to receive emails? I have the same problem

Incoming
    -IMAP
    -Server-imap.gmail.com
    SSL CHECKED
    port 993
    username xxxx(just the user name,no @gmail).
    password xxxxx
    Use MDS proxy checked.
    Identity:Gmail
    Outgoing server:gmail(smtp)..you will have to set this after actually creating the smtp server.

Outgoing
    -SMTP
    Server-smtp.gmail.com
    SSL CHECKED
    port 465
    authentification-LOGIN
    username xxxxx(just the user name,no @gmail).
    username xxxxx
    Use MDS proxy checked

This should do it !!!
    BTW i have T-mobile, dont know if the APN will be the same.Try anyways.
    Last edited by Snypa; 06-11-08 at 11:57 AM.
    06-11-08 11:54 AM
    so, i tried doing what u did, and all that comes up is the authentication notice, and i press ok. it does that about three times and then it exits and says,"unknown error" i press the escape key and try again, and right away it says ,"uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointerexception" i have a sbcglobal.net email from att. io think all they can do is pop so thats what i set it for. my email address is [email protected].
    my settings are

IDENTITIES-
    identity: default
    full name (blank)
    emailaddress:[email protected]
    reply to address: (blank)
    signature: (blank)

ACCOUNTS-
    account name:[email protected]
    protocol:POP
    incoming server: pop.att.yahoo.com
    ssl is checked
    port:995
    username:mgamer1234
    password:*****
    use mds proxy is checked
    identity:default (that was its only choice, didnt know how to change that)
    outgoing server:[email protected](smtp)

OUTGOING(smtp)-
    server:smtp.att.yahoo.com
    ssl is checked
    port:465
    authentication: LOGIN
    use mds proxy is checked

can some please help me?!?!? i went here
    for all of my information. could someone please check it out? i really want to get this working.

EDIT: my apn settings are also set to wap.voicestream.com
    username and password are blank
    Last edited by curveoncracke; 06-18-08 at 07:47 PM.
    06-18-08 07:40 PM
    To anyone trying this with gmail - when i tried it with POP it was able to download my messages, but no matter whether I chose ascending or descending it always started with my oldest messages, and it only shows 30 at a time, so I could only see stuff from January 2006, when I signed up for gmail. Very odd...

However, I tried it with IMAP and it started working just fine over wifi. It shows my inbox and my message tags - but not other stuff like sent, trash, etc...

For sending and receiving email I think this is a good alternative to the Google App when you're around a wifi connection.
    06-26-08 08:57 PM
    I'm having the exact same problem except I am using gmail and on AT&T

so, i tried doing what u did, and all that comes up is the authentication notice, and i press ok. it does that about three times and then it exits and says,"unknown error" i press the escape key and try again, and right away it says ,"uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointerexception" i have a sbcglobal.net email from att. io think all they can do is pop so thats what i set it for. my email address is [email protected].
    my settings are

IDENTITIES-
    identity: default
    full name (blank)
    emailaddress:[email protected]
    reply to address: (blank)
    signature: (blank)

ACCOUNTS-
    protocol:POP
    incoming server: pop.att.yahoo.com
    ssl is checked
    port:995
    use mds proxy is checked
    identity:default (that was its only choice, didnt know how to change that)
    outgoing server:[email protected](smtp)

OUTGOING(smtp)-
    server:smtp.att.yahoo.com
    ssl is checked
    port:465
    authentication: LOGIN
    use mds proxy is checked

can some please help me?!?!? i went
    for all of my information. could someone please check it out? i really want to get this working.

EDIT: my apn settings are also set to wap.voicestream.com
    username and password are blank
    07-02-08 03:52 PM
    so after much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I think I figured it out.

I used the default APN settings for cingular orange
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username: [email address]
    Password: CINGULAR1

then I went to options->security options->TLS
    set TLS Default to Handheld
    Didn't touch anything else
    Then I went to VPN and unchecked "enable VPN"(don't know if this affects anything)

I then upgraded to Logicmail 1.0.1 and used the settings for gmail listed above snypa for imap and I'm able to send and recieve email over wifi only(don't have a data plan)

hope that helps
    07-03-08 01:20 PM
    All of the configuration listings are intimidating

Either way, I used LogicMail for a day... and right off the bat I did not like how the POP settings also pulled mail from my SPAM folder!! I am not sure if the IMAP is any different?? Can anyone confirm?

And once it is configured and running?? Does it update well and how do you like the UI and feel overall??

I did not like it (first impression) so I got rid of it and installed TiggitMail! It is a 30 day trial and $12.50 after that. It also works on WiFi only... as I have an 8320 with no data plan!!

07-03-08 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD