So I downloaded it from my carriers website but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to upgrade my phone. It just says to repair or delete current OS...no options about upgrading or changing the OS. What am I doing wrong?
    01-22-09 07:53 PM
    I really hate to see brand new users attempting to upgrade their OS. It's not difficult, but it is not trivial either. It will be much easier to do, and you will be much more likely to be successful, if you first get some basic familiarity with your BlackBerry. A good way to do that is to perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Created by Forums Moderator Reed McLay, it will show you how to install your device OS on your PC, (which you have to do to upgrade your OS) and will help you optimize your free memory. It's a terrific tutorial procedure. Once you've done that, and understand what's going on, upgrading your OS will be much easier.

You should not attempt to upgrade the OS in the first 30 days that you own a new phone, simply because installing an OS other than the factory-supported OS will void your warranty and you will have to restore the factory OS before you can return your phone, should you find some other defect in it in the first 30 days. As an additional benefit, after using it for 30 days, you'll be much more likely to succeed when you do attempt the upgrade.

When you're ready, double-click the OS file you downloaded. That will install it on your PC. Then download CrackMem from my signature (if you didn't do it in the first paragraph), install it, and follow the excellent directions.
    01-22-09 10:06 PM
    I am new to this site, not new to owning this BB..I've had it about 3 yrs now. I would hope they wouldn't be selling new BB's with outdated OS!! Thanks for your response though, will see what happens when I have the time to mess w it.
    01-23-09 06:11 AM
    I am new to this site, not new to owning this BB..I've had it about 3 yrs now. I would hope they wouldn't be selling new BB's with outdated OS!! Thanks for your response though, will see what happens when I have the time to mess w it.
    Welcome to the site! You'll find a lot really good info here. The Memory Optimzation Procedure, for example.

New BB's come with the officially released OS at the time of manufacture. In the case of the Bold, Storm, and some other models, there are unreleased Betas of later OS versions that offer significant operational and performance improvements over the official versions. New owners run into a problem, google it, find this site, and find people talking about new software for their phone that fixes the problem. Naturally they want to install it. That's what leads to the scenario I was warning you about.
    01-23-09 07:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD