ITS A Flop... Keep getting App Error 523.

1. Tried wiping (JL_Cmder) and re-installing OS from scratch... same sh*t with 3 different versions.. 4.6.0.180 (T-Mobile) 4.6.0.155 (??) 4.6.0.236...

And I only install the stuff that actually comes in the package.. no extra apps nothing...

seriously worst phone ever... sorry i mean worst blackberry ever..
    Sorry to here your bad experience with the Flip. But as u know there are always defected devices just like anything else. If u search the Forum u'll see how many complaining about their Curve or Storm.

Follow me on Twitter / krisztibi

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
    Never regret anything that made you smile.
    03-20-09 06:35 PM
    Sorry to here your bad experience with the Flip. But as u know there are always defected devices just like anything else. If u search the Forum u'll see how many complaining about their Curve or Storm.

LOL oh the Storm.....the flip was a good idea but in the wake of all the other devices RIM has kind of lost its focus on the flip...I certainly think they will push the phone a bit more once the Storm settles down.

03-20-09 07:22 PM

Not the Curve...
    03-20-09 07:39 PM
    Never had any problems with other phones (blackberries) and supposable the guy before me had it for four months without problems... i seriously doubt him now.. I Miss my g1 now..
    03-20-09 07:49 PM
    The flip is for this demographic...the spouses of the world who find bb a bit excessive BUT the flip looks like and feels like a phone and its CHEEP so "eh why not." I think RIM should market the phone more toward the demographic of people who think the "bulky" BB are to much, but would be willing to taste a bit of the pie.......over all they just need to run more ads and continue to advertise toward the wives and girlfriends of the world !(not saying this is the ONLY people who should own flips, just my observation on who they are and should probly strongly market towards).

Ew, I resent that.
    My husband and I both have had BBs and it's our experience that I'm the one who uses them for what they're really worth and he just thinks they're cool and likes Brick Breaker.. So, yeah..

I know you probably didn't mean offense to anyone but I just had to give my 2 cents.
    03-20-09 10:31 PM
    You're gonna get us stoned!
    Everybody must get stoned!
    03-20-09 10:32 PM
    I have had 5 flip devices and they all have had something wrong . The browser is horriable at best. The device gets lost with in its self and just thinks and thinks. When using the browser it takes so long to load up a page i almost forget what i was doing. I was told it is because i am on Wi-Fi set up but my get a media pkg. when my job and home is on a wi-fi network. so if i have a full signal and the device still takes 1-2min. to load a web page that is unacceptable for a device called Blackberry. Granted I am new to the BB world but I have played with many BB's and the flip must be the "red headed step child".. just not a top notch device in my eyes,when compared to other BB's.
    03-21-09 07:10 PM
    I have had 5 flip devices and they all have had something wrong . The browser is horriable at best. The device gets lost with in its self and just thinks and thinks. When using the browser it takes so long to load up a page i almost forget what i was doing. I was told it is because i am on Wi-Fi set up but my get a media pkg. when my job and home is on a wi-fi network. so if i have a full signal and the device still takes 1-2min. to load a web page that is unacceptable for a device called Blackberry. Granted I am new to the BB world but I have played with many BB's and the flip must be the "red headed step child".. just not a top notch device in my eyes,when compared to other BB's.
    thats cause you have T-mobile and they are the best.
    03-21-09 08:50 PM

That sounds horrible!
    03-21-09 09:03 PM
    If all of them had some problem why did u keep buying them?

follow me on Twitter / krisztibi

03-21-09 09:26 PM
    Alright, I have turned around and am finally happy with my Blackberry Flip, found out that the MyFaves app is causing the App Error 523 so did not bother to install it on my last install.

Getting used to the keyboard but Multitap beats Suretype in my case by far.
    Honestly I am very happy I gave up my G1 for this phone.

Don't get me wrong the G1 has a lot of features and touchscreen / keyboard was nice. But battery was horrible. Support was terrible and updates... Don't even ask..

Blackberry(all of em) just have great support and have a better feature set. I'll never leave the BB side again like i did last time. Forgive Me!
    03-21-09 11:02 PM
    I love my 8220, this is my 6th BB, 7290>8700>8800>8300>8120>8220 and it performs just as well as my previous 8120, I just love the ability to close it and not worrying about unlocking keypad, also protects the screen and the pearl doesn't get covered in crap, also doesn't suffer memory leaks like my 8120 did....

All in all, I love my 8220 an can upgrade in 3 months and I don't think I'll be leaving the 8220...
    03-22-09 05:26 AM
    I have had it for about four months. I have been very happy with it. 90% of the time I use a mobile device for a phone and email, so the browser was not a big concern to me. I picked it because I liked the size of the buttons - it is easier for me to type on than any comparable product - I liked the buttons better than the bold.
    03-22-09 03:03 PM
    Ew, I resent that.
    My husband and I both have had BBs and it's our experience that I'm the one who uses them for what they're really worth and he just thinks they're cool and likes Brick Breaker.. So, yeah..

I know you probably didn't mean offense to anyone but I just had to give my 2 cents.
    He's not discriminating, I just left working for T-Mobile and several of our internal sales documents specifically noted the target market as non-corporate 18-30 year old individuals and women.
    03-22-09 05:45 PM
    This is my 4th berry, and I've gotta say that I'm glad I chose the Flip over the Storm!

And I chose my Flipberry because of the following:
    - formfactor > it feels like a phone (not only in hand but against the ear - still something not right about holding a novel against the side of your head)
    - it doesn't have the weight of a brick (like the Storm). You'll hardly notice this in your pocket!
    - BIG buttons > the full keyboard (like on the Bold or Curve) is great for all the users that have dainty fingers, but having to use my fingernails to actually be able to type, just wasn't an option for me!! Not to mention that with the Flip I can type one-handed as well!
    - I am used to and enjoy the Suretype feature!
    - The front LCD (the clock and email preview are fantastic features)

Now that being said ... the Flip also has some issues (as any first rev product does):
    - this device is SLOW (General useability) yes I know this has to do with the older processor being used and the OS - however, when it effects typing speed, I'm looking forward to gen 2 versions of this phone, with which I'm hoping that RIM will upgrade the processor!
    - SLOW Internet. I'm chalking this up to the fact that the browser is JAVA based.
    - RIDICULOUSLY small fonts when browsing Internet. Having to zoom at least twice to be able to read anything much less be able to click on any link is a PITA.
    - Occaisional Freeze-ups, this seems to happen when I typically am playing or have Klondike Solitaire loaded up. (Coincidence?!? hmmm)
    - SIM Card issues. Used to have my PEARL phone go to SOS mode due to loss of SIM card info (stating invalid SIM card inserted) and now am seeing the same issue on the Flip. Tried updating with a new SIM card ... and same issue. A battery remove and replace fixes it ... and itz very intermittent ... however, definitely something that needs to be addressed.
    - Camera recessed lens always dirty. Wish that RIM would add a glass cover in front of the lens (similar to STORM) so that it can be easily wiped down. By having the recessed lens, it always is dirty and harder to keep clean!

So even with all that ... I'm enjoying my Flip immensely! And it's my corporate phone! (yes I type on this as much as anyone would with a Curve or Bold). Bottom line for anyone looking for a berry is to identify what features are important for them, do a lot of reading (the reviews here are fantastic!), and then decide for themselves (what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for all).
    Last edited by big i; 03-23-09 at 11:29 AM.
    03-23-09 09:38 AM
    This is my 4th berry, and I've gotta say that I'm glad I chose the Flip over the Storm!

And I chose my Flipberry because of the following:
    - formfactor > it feels like a phone (not only in hand but against the ear - still something not right about holding a novel against the side of your head)
    - it doesn't have the weight of a brick (like the Storm). You'll hardly notice this in your pocket!
    - BIG buttons > the full keyboard (like on the Bold or Curve) is great for all the users that have dainty fingers, but having to use my fingernails to actually be able to type, just wasn't an option for me!! Not to mention that with the Flip I can type one-handed as well!
    - I am used to and enjoy the Suretype feature!
    - The front LCD (the clock and email preview are fantastic features)

Now that being said ... the Flip also has some issues (as any first rev product does):
    - this device is SLOW (General useability) yes I know this has to do with the older processor being used and the OS - however, when it effects typing speed, I'm looking forward to gen 2 versions of this phone, with which I'm hoping that RIM will upgrade the processor!
    - SLOW Internet. I'm chalking this up to the fact that the browser is JAVA based.
    - RIDICULOUSLY small fonts when browsing Internet. Having to zoom at least twice to be able to read anything much less be able to click on any link is a PITA.
    - Occaisional Freeze-ups, this seems to happen when I typically am playing or have Klondike Solitaire loaded up. (Coincidence?!? hmmm)
    - SIM Card issues. Used to have my PEARL phone go to SOS mode due to loss of SIM card info (stating invalid SIM card inserted) and now am seeing the same issue on the Flip. Tried updating with a new SIM card ... and same issue. A battery remove and replace fixes it ... and itz very intermittent ... however, definitely something that needs to be addressed.
    - Camera recessed lens always dirty. Wish that RIM would add a glass cover in front of the lens (similar to STORM) so that it can be easily wiped down. By having the recessed lens, it always is dirty and harder to keep clean!

So even with all that ... I'm enjoying my Flip immensely! And it's my corporate phone! (yes I type on this as much as anyone would with a Curve or Bold). Bottom line for anying looking for a berry is to identify what features are important for them, do a lot of reading (the reviews here are fantastic!), and then decide for themselves (what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for all).
    great points. I used my flip as my business phone as well. I was lucky and got one that didn't lag or lock up more than a handful of times in the entire time I used it, and when I had events, I could slip it into the tiniest of clutches and still be connected.
    03-23-09 11:15 AM
    I see you have the 8220. I was wondering if you like it and if you have had other BB's and how it compares. I really want but do not want to give up a whole lot of functionality.
    The 8220 is my first BlackBerry, I've had it since Thanksgiving, and I love it. I've had flip phones for almost 10 years. I wasn't even considering a BlackBerry until T-Mo announced the Flip. It was love at first sight.

No phone has everything. I was looking for a phone that had the best mix of features I wanted: Flip phone, tri/quad band, UMA, WiFi, EDGE, MP3/WMA, YouTube/video playback, 2MP camera, FM radio, Outlook sync, POP3, Bluetooth, tethering, and GPS navigation.

For GPS navigation, I decided on a slim GlobalTop G66 bluetooth GPS receiver and Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry. It works great, and routes me around traffic.
    For FM radio, I hardly ever listen to the radio, so I deleted all the streamers I downloaded and tried. I'll probably give IHeartRadio a try at some point, if only because it's from Clear Channel which owns a lot of the radio stations.
    03-23-09 12:23 PM
    The 8220 is my first BlackBerry, I've had it since Thanksgiving, and I love it. I've had flip phones for almost 10 years. I wasn't even considering a BlackBerry until T-Mo announced the Flip. It was love at first sight.

No phone has everything. I was looking for a phone that had the best mix of features I wanted: Flip phone, tri/quad band, UMA, WiFi, EDGE, MP3/WMA, YouTube/video playback, 2MP camera, FM radio, Outlook sync, POP3, Bluetooth, tethering, and GPS navigation.

For GPS navigation, I decided on a slim GlobalTop G66 bluetooth GPS receiver and Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry. It works great, and routes me around traffic.
    For FM radio, I hardly ever listen to the radio, so I deleted all the streamers I downloaded and tried. I'll probably give IHeartRadio a try at some point, if only because it's from Clear Channel which owns a lot of the radio stations.
    hats off to you. Love seeing folks who use their smartphones as tech hubs. Awesome.

I try to get phones based on overall functionality just as you do. I use the freedom puck w/TeleNav for my GPS needs.

But, I will say it again... I think the Flip is an awesome offering.
    03-23-09 01:20 PM
    Had 2 probs with my flip - Like 99% of the population I keep my phone in my back pocket. It developed imprints (actual indentations!) from the keyboard onto the screen which I have never experienced with any other flip phone and Tmo didn't wanna know. Thankfully, it finally refused to work on wi-fi and, after lengthy troubleshooting, Tmo gave me a replacement 8220 and also a great (fantastic actually!) deal on a 8320 Curve which I LOVE! I have the 8220 as a standby now!
    Last edited by Dodgy; 03-23-09 at 03:55 PM.
    03-23-09 03:53 PM
    Well after a few days of a perfectly working 8220 I am actually very satisfied with my trade, the keyboard was a lot of getting used too. But perfect, small and all the power of an actual Blackberry in one.. GREAT!

only downfall, it feels sorta cheap.. or is it just me?
    03-23-09 05:15 PM
    Well after a few days of a perfectly working 8220 I am actually very satisfied with my trade, the keyboard was a lot of getting used too. But perfect, small and all the power of an actual Blackberry in one.. GREAT!

only downfall, it feels sorta cheap.. or is it just me?
    no.. its real PLASTIC.. they could have gone with card board..
    i think they were looking for something light and durable. the plastic is actually a pretty good choice..
    03-24-09 02:25 PM
    I have the 8220 and regret it wish i had gone with a simple pearl and not the flip. Things that drives me nuts the most is the lack of GPS on 8220 (8230 has it now), the lag, but most of all the lack of a quick switch between Suretype and multi-tap. That last one really ticks me off because the non flip pearls have it
    03-25-09 12:31 AM
    /www.howardchui.com/2009/03/10/blackberry-flip-telus-2/

For everybody who says the Pearl is cheap. Well $449.99 by Telus I would definitely not calling it cheap.
    03-28-09 06:31 PM
    Wow.........I've just gone through this thread, and quite frankly am a little confused (actually appalled) that some have mentioned that the Pearl Flip seems adeqate for "my wife" or for the teenage "set".
    Where is this coming from?
    Are you suggesting that this is a lower-end product that is only good enough for your wife or one of your kids......? How crass.....and ignorant.
    The Pearl Flip (whether 8220 or 8230) is a good product, with all of the features that many of us have been used to in the RIM Blackberry devices (8230 doesn't have WiFi because it's for CDMA), but it is a Blackberry.
    In short, it's a good product.....and part of the Blackberry team.
    On the other hand, once your 'wife' or one of your teenagers has done with it, I guess you could always use it as a paperweight !
    Get real people, and stop making judgements that you know nothing about.
    03-28-09 09:12 PM
    If all of them had some problem why did u keep buying them?

follow me on Twitter / krisztibi

well it is not like I wanted to keep on getting a POS. but they just did not listen to me when I told them that NO i did not like the phone and wanted to look in to another device. T-mobile would patch me over and thenput me on hold from h*ll and eventually hang up on me for 2 days I tried to do this adn then a new device would show up. and before i knew it i was out of the 2week buyers remorse time period. thus stuck with a phone I HATE!! and yes I am verry peeved about this because not only do i not like this device ,I am signed up for 2 more years with a POS phone. thanks for the vent.
    03-28-09 10:55 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD