Why is there so much talk about the Storm and almost none on the Flip? Is this phone not as good? I am debating on getting a new Blackberry and like the flip form factor but not sure if the Niagra or Storm would be better for me. I don't surf the web much but need a email device and the push email is the only way to go. I have a windows mobile phone currently and not sure which way to go. I had the storm for a while but could not port my work number to VZW and gave the phone to my daughter. I fell in love with Blackberry in the short time I had the storm but need my number so back to the old phone I went. I want to upgrade but don't want to wait until the niagra comes out. HELP!!!! is the curve able to upgrade to new os?
    03-19-09 11:53 AM
    I don't think the flip (8230) is a flop...

I own a Storm and wouldn't trade it for the anything else. But I recently got the 8230 for my wife and I was actually impressed... It's small yet it offers all of the Blackberry functions that we are accustom to. Perfect for my wife...
    03-19-09 12:29 PM
    I don't think it is a flop. I like the idea of flip form with BB functionality.

It may have gotten lost in the Storm storm.
    03-19-09 12:34 PM
    The Flip is definitely not a Flop. There are like 26 carriers worldwide that offer the Flip.

I think what you're seeing is RIM suffering through a marketing identity crisis. They know how to market the Bold and Storm to their existing demographic. But they don't know how to market the Flip to the flip-phone demographic. Have you seen RIM's ****-dialing commercial, with the doofus husband sitting on what is presumably a Pearl and his know-it-all wife opening and closing the Flip? That's fine if RIM is marketing to know-it-all wives, but it leaves everybody else out in the cold.
    03-19-09 01:55 PM
    The Flip is definitely not a Flop. There are like 26 carriers worldwide that offer the Flip.

I think what you're seeing is RIM suffering through a marketing identity crisis. They know how to market the Bold and Storm to their existing demographic. But they don't know how to market the Flip to the flip-phone demographic. Have you seen RIM's ****-dialing commercial, with the doofus husband sitting on what is presumably a Pearl and his know-it-all wife opening and closing the Flip? That's fine if RIM is marketing to know-it-all wives, but it leaves everybody else out in the cold.
    I see you have the 8220. I was wondering if you like it and if you have had other BB's and how it compares. I really want but do not want to give up a whole lot of functionality.
    03-19-09 02:42 PM
    I have the curve 8900 and my wife has the flip 8220 and previously I had the pearl 8100. For web browsing the filp is a little rough due to two reasons one the narrow screen is hard to deal with and the second is the weaker processor of the flip bothe the storm and 8900 does surf much faster also I personal can not bare the low qulity of the filps screen. But the flip is a great media, texting, email phone webbing comes last in my opinion. I love my curve and I like the flip.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 03:00 PM
    flippity floppity Bop.
    love the flip. if the flip is a flop then the pearl is a definite pffff-flop!
    think they got the hype about the storm cause its the first touch screen and the major competitor right now with them is the iphone. the flip is basically the pearl in a clam shell.
    03-19-09 03:24 PM
    I have had so many different blackberry's over the days that i cant even keep track of em all. I even had the ORIGINAL 950. 5 Lines of txt, scroll wheel, pager looking type device.

I have had "the pda" -unless you use a headset, "the calculator", this was a huge jump - "THE COLOR SCREEN!!!!", the "7100" and thats just to name a few!

My 7100 suffered a pretty horrific death, which led me to upgrade to the pearl.
    The pearl was great for my needs, a cross between business and life, In a nice looking package.

The only thing that it lacked was the ability to close, protect the screen, prevent me from "A** dialing"

When i saw the pearl flip announced i hounded rogers about this device, and i was there the day it was released!
    I love it, its everything i need in a slick case. I know it dosent have the hi-res screen of the bold, storm, or 8900, and the processor is a bit slower but it works for me.

People seem to think just because it hasnt recieved the same marketing attention as the others that it is a flop. THEIR DEAD WRONG

If your an IT guy who needs to be on top of everything 24/7, then this device is not for you! Plain and simple.
    If you need push email, a bit of browsing, and media -without carrying around your TI-83 Then check out the Pearl Flip!

Ive been up and down the gambit of these devices, and the one thing ive learned is there is a device for everyone, not everyone for one device!
    Last edited by Jsolts; 03-19-09 at 05:10 PM.
    03-19-09 05:07 PM
    I'd even state on the record that I'd pick the Flip over the Storm any day.
    03-19-09 07:04 PM
    The Flip is kind of of an entry-level BlackBerry but I have gotten it for my spouse. It is the best replacement for a defective 7130, and is great for anybody who has big thumbs.

Personally, I have the Bold myself.
    03-19-09 07:06 PM
    I.LOVE.MY.FLIP.

I picked it over the Bold and every other BB I had access to at the time. My main use is Email and BBIM, and once I got the SureType sorted out I fell in love. It's so tiny and I can still handle what I need to handle with it. I think as more US carriers get it, you'll see alot more people with it.
    03-19-09 07:44 PM
    The Flip is kind of of an entry-level BlackBerry but I have gotten it for my spouse. It is the best replacement for a defective 7130, and is great for anybody who has big thumbs.

Personally, I have the Bold myself.

The flip is for this demographic...the spouses of the world who find bb a bit excessive BUT the flip looks like and feels like a phone and its CHEEP so "eh why not." I think RIM should market the phone more toward the demographic of people who think the "bulky" BB are to much, but would be willing to taste a bit of the pie.......over all they just need to run more ads and continue to advertise toward the wives and girlfriends of the world !(not saying this is the ONLY people who should own flips, just my observation on who they are and should probly strongly market towards).

03-19-09 07:47 PM
    I agree. They should market it more.
    03-19-09 08:01 PM
    IMO the flip is not a flop. In fact I am patiently waiting for it to arrive at sprint. I was never a fan of bar style phones. currently i have the pearl and the only reason i have the pearl is its size. the curve the 8900 the storm there just to big for me.
    03-19-09 09:49 PM
    Around here, a lot the 13-15 year old set have the BB Flip. I am not really sure how I feel about that at this moment. I do not feel it is a Flop, but it is definitely not for me.
    03-19-09 09:51 PM
    I think if there was a BB Flop it would be the Storm! lol
    03-19-09 09:53 PM
    Between the Storm, Pearl Flip, and Curve... my vote goes to the CURVE But no, I don't think the Flip was a flop either... it wasn't even intended to dominate the market. Research showed that 60%-70% of people preferred flip-phones, so RIM made a BlackBerry version. RIM didn't expect former BB users to transition to flip-phones; they just wanted to extend to that demographic. From what I understand, those who have one are happy and impressed, especially when one considers all the other flip-phones out there
    03-19-09 09:59 PM
    You Storm hater you. But, yeah, indeed.
    03-19-09 10:01 PM
    I do have a Flip and I love it all. I don't like the Storm just can't imagine not having buttons on a phone. I hate the touch screen tho. I like the Pearl but it has those so tiny-winy buttons I would probably push 3 at a time even tho being a woman with not big thumbs.

Follow me on Twitter / krisztibi

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
    Never regret anything that made you smile.
    03-19-09 10:12 PM
    You're gonna get us stoned!
    03-19-09 10:15 PM
    The Flip is a fabulous LITTLE phone. I started on Blackberry with an 8100 Pearl and had that for over 18 months which is an eternity for me. I then went WinMo again, Nokia, LG, iPhone and all ports in between. I then bought a Flip when it was released and I loved it. My brother 'stole' it from me after his POS Motorola V9 Razr died and I bought a Storm.

The Storm is a nice unit but it is not living up to the hype. It's OS is still not mature enough for the unit, so I went and bought myself another Flip last week to replace my Storm. So glad I did. The form factor, large Suretype buttons, good battery life makes me love my Flip.

The ONLY thing I miss on the Storm is the beautiful screen, but the Flip does everything the Storm does, except crash, leak memory and run out of battery in 8 hours!
    03-20-09 12:57 AM
    Infact i bought the flip just bcoz of the exclusivity factor...
    havent seen anybody else carrying it around me...
    all the phones nowadays, especially the nokias (no matter how expensive the model being) get soooo common so often...

but then the applications to be released for the pearl flip should me more... as in like there are storm specific applications out there.... there should be flip specific applications too....
    i'm sure the flipberry is capable enough
    03-20-09 02:36 AM
    Hello Everybody.....I am new to the BB world.....Just got my first BB and I picked the flip......I would just rather a flip phone....also I fine the others are too big except the pearl......but the keys are to small and there is nothing to protect the screen and the keys......I love my flip.....I can't believe it took me this long to get a BB....BB kicks ***....Later
    03-20-09 12:44 PM
    ITS A Flop... Keep getting App Error 523.

1. Tried wiping (JL_Cmder) and re-installing OS from scratch... same sh*t with 3 different versions.. 4.6.0.180 (T-Mobile) 4.6.0.155 (??) 4.6.0.236...

And I only install the stuff that actually comes in the package.. no extra apps nothing...

seriously worst phone ever... sorry i mean worst blackberry ever..
    03-20-09 06:21 PM
    Infact i bought the flip just bcoz of the exclusivity factor...
    havent seen anybody else carrying it around me...
    all the phones nowadays, especially the nokias (no matter how expensive the model being) get soooo common so often...

but then the applications to be released for the pearl flip should me more... as in like there are storm specific applications out there.... there should be flip specific applications too....
    i'm sure the flipberry is capable enough
    Agree. I keep saying the Flip must be a stepchild of the BB World even here on CB they made a CB Theme for ALL other devices but the Flip. I wonder why?

follow me on Twitter / krisztibi

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
    Never regret anything that made you smile.
    03-20-09 06:31 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD